Why Can't I Win a Game After Season High?

Competitive Discussion
Pretty much happens everytime. I work my way up to and just past my season high, then I get several really awful games. Throwers, leavers, no comms. My sr loss is pretty low for these games. Loss is <25sr. Still since it's I usually end up losing several games it takes me quite a while to get back to my season high. It's not that big a deal. I'm still climbing, but I think I could climb a lot faster if this didn't happen.

I'm just curious why I am experiencing this phenomenon. Any insights?
Unlucky.
It is well known issue of blizzard matchmaking system
For some reason, Blizzard thinks it's a great idea to punish you for ranking up.
They give you the worst teammates the MM can find if you've won "too much."

It's become a joke.
It's RNG unfortunately.

Realistically you are probably approaching your limit so it becomes harder to carry your games.

Playing solo queue you have less control who you are matched up with, some will be terrible (often boosted by grouping earlier), some average and obviously some better.

As you reach your limit, you will need to lean more on other people in your team in the 'better' or above average category to go up much more. These people are obviously in the minority so you will find your climb harder.

I'm not suggesting that perhaps your SR couldn't be higher, but to push much further you would most likely need to group.

Solo climb is hard unless you can carry those below average, which most people struggle with.
10/19/2017 05:49 PMPosted by predat0r
It's RNG unfortunately.

Realistically you are probably approaching your limit so it becomes harder to carry your games.

Playing solo queue you have less control who you are matched up with, some will be terrible (often boosted by grouping earlier), some average and obviously some better.

As you reach your limit, you will need to lean more on other people in your team in the 'better' or above average category to go up much more. These people are obviously in the minority so you will find your climb harder.

I'm not suggesting that perhaps your SR couldn't be higher, but to push much further you would most likely need to group.

Solo climb is hard unless you can carry those below average, which most people struggle with.

Not RNG when there's such a blatant shift in the skill of your teammates every single time you reach a milestone. Promotion or Season High? Guaranteed and predictable losing streak.
Having played ranked solo queue a lot of the time when you reach a new season high-- it will definitely put you up against tough opponents and heavy teammates. I've noticed this often. And this isn't Career High. I'm talking about any season high. If it's below your normal rank you usually have a good chance to clutch it.

But getting an awesome winsteak to a new career high is usually followed at some point with a losing streak. This has happened too many times for it RNG.
10/19/2017 05:49 PMPosted by predat0r
It's RNG unfortunately.

I'm not having any trouble continuing to push my season high. After I reach my season high I lose several games in row. I've pushed my season high by about 250 Sr so far and continuing.

What's most confusing to me is you mention that I'm getting most likely getting harder matches. In actuality I think they are about the same, but the quality of my teammates seems to go down drastically i.e. 30% winrate widow main etc.

Am I just cursed?
It's not rng. It's a traceable thing. You can track it on a spreadsheet to within 5 games. It's a known thing. That's not rng.

You hit your season or career high and the algorithm in place for matchmaking knowingly places you with players on a losing streak with the mechanic of "This player is good! They're on a high. They'll help those around them win.... Wait.... 8th on a row loss? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"
10/19/2017 08:06 PMPosted by Moxsapphire
It's not rng. It's a traceable thing. You can track it on a spreadsheet to within 5 games. It's a known thing. That's not rng.

You hit your season or career high and the algorithm in place for matchmaking knowingly places you with players on a losing streak with the mechanic of "This player is good! They're on a high. They'll help those around them win.... Wait.... 8th on a row loss? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯"

Hmmmm I climbed out just fine. Weird how this only happens to the black sheep in Overwatch
That happens to me a lot too. But not just in Overwatch. In a lot of other games, too. I'll get in to series and then lose ALL of my standing to drop back to the lowest level. Happened in HoTS last night. I made it to halfway in Bronze 4 and lost seven games in a row to drop to flat bottom Bronze 5. Won enough League games to be promoted if I won just one more game. Then I lost three in a row and could no longer advance. In season three in Overwatch, I managed to get to 1930 silver which was a game or two away from hitting Gold rank. Then I'd be teamed with throwers and lose three hundred or more SR and become so frustrated that I had stop playing for the night.
10/19/2017 07:53 PMPosted by ChaosDragon
What's most confusing to me is you mention that I'm getting most likely getting harder matches. In actuality I think they are about the same, but the quality of my teammates seems to go down drastically i.e. 30% winrate widow main etc.

Am I just cursed?

It may not appear noticeably different to you, but the same team mates you had in an earlier match may be noticing, so you need to fill in the gap and step up your game a bit more.

Here is an example, just say at the start of each 6 v 6 you get 3 picks and die. They may even be good picks, eg mercy, pharah and zen. At lower levels your team may have no problems mopping up the rest (your team not you because you died). As the difficulty increases you still manage to get your 3 picks but you STILL die. Your team can't pick up the slack and you fall.

If things were fair this may not happen, however this is what I mean by needing to group up instead and reaching your limit. What you were doing before isn't enough, maybe you need to live a bit longer to bring the 4th player down to half health, or protect your team in the process so they can mop-up the rest. Or just don't die.

It isn't a curse, it is just sometimes doing the same thing isn't enough as you get higher up.

I used to think sacrificing myself taking out bastion/pharah, mercy and zen was enough, but after a while realised I was the problem. I was relying on my team instead of trying to stick around and support them. I was dying when with a bit more careful play I could stay alive, never make an assumption your team knows what they are doing if you are struggling.
Because you are out of your skill range

Because you are filled with anxiety / other negative emotions (self-fulfilling prophecy)

Because you play for Rank/Sr instead of fun / having a good time

Because you think you are better than your team

Because you lack understanding of how the game works or your mechanics are poor

Because at some point you are at your true SR and wont climb if you dont improve.
10/19/2017 05:41 PMPosted by Kapoof
For some reason, Blizzard thinks it's a great idea to punish you for ranking up.

It's become a joke.

As your chances of winning go up, the game matches you with people with much lower chances of winning in order to average out the team to a 50% chance of winning the next match.
10/19/2017 09:17 PMPosted by CheersLuv
Because you are out of your skill range

Because you are filled with anxiety / other negative emotions (self-fulfilling prophecy)

Because you play for Rank/Sr instead of fun / having a good time

Because you think you are better than your team

Because you lack understanding of how the game works or your mechanics are poor

Because at some point you are at your true SR and wont climb if you dont improve.

I don't think you understand. I'm climbing just fine. However I am rubberbanding with an upward trend. I'm that snail from the math problem where it climbs 3 ft and slides down 2ft. I'm climbing consistently just at a slow rate.
10/19/2017 09:31 PMPosted by MANIACAL
10/19/2017 05:41 PMPosted by Kapoof

It's become a joke.

As your chances of winning go up, the game matches you with people with much lower chances of winning in order to average out the team to a 50% chance of winning the next match.

Why wouldn't I just get matched with better players and the worse players play with other players at their level?

If everyone has a 30% win chance than it a 50-50. Same if everyone has a 70% chance.
If you are climbing why are you complaining? You are not good enough to carry every game (no one is). Relax and have fun!
10/19/2017 09:50 PMPosted by CheersLuv
If you are climbing why are you complaining? You are not good enough to carry every game (no one is). Relax and have fun!

Not complaining just curious about what's happening! Lol. Thank you! Good luck in your matches!
10/19/2017 08:44 PMPosted by Pharah

Hmmmm I climbed out just fine. Weird how this only happens to the black sheep in Overwatch

Because your experience is linear for all, right?
10/19/2017 09:54 PMPosted by ChaosDragon
10/19/2017 09:50 PMPosted by CheersLuv

Not complaining just curious about what's happening! Lol. Thank you! Good luck in your matches!

Its in your head bro! Combination of bad luck / not performing (everyone has bad games) / tilting / etc. (and i dont mean YOU, i mean your "bad" teammates).

If you don't pay attention to all that is WAY easier to climb. You seem like you are putting so much pressure on yourself... Thats bad (your gameplay suffers).