Is Moira truly evil?

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
If you'll all think back, Jeff said that Doomfist didn't think himself evil, but the world of course perceived him as such. When I first saw Moira and her Origins, I thought it was like that. But looking back over it, she seems like more of a grey area than Akande is.

There's a difference between Evil and Unethical. Moira's methodologies and practices were unethical, but not necessarily evil. She believes in raising Humanity to a higher state of being, but in ways different to how Doomfist does. So in the end, is she really evil?
Honestly, she's gotten more done than most scientists
A huge theme in this game's lore is moral ambiguity.
Doomfist believes conflict makes humanity stronger, and that's why his motives align with Talon's. He's not wrong, this idea parallels real life; we wouldn't have computers to play Overwatch on if it weren't for WWII.
11/07/2017 11:39 AMPosted by Zeleros
Honestly, she's gotten more done than most scientists
Maybe, but, the credibility of a scientific discovery is somewhat dependent on if the results are able to be replicated or not, nobody could get the same results Moira did using her same methods, so it damaged her reputation
Considering her views on ethics have lead her to speculated testing on unwilling sentient subjects (there's an interaction between her and Widowmaker that implies Moira was responsible for the genetic alterations to Widow if not her brainwashing as well) - I'd say she's a lot like Akande.

She views herself as an oppressed visionary trying to do right for the world while doing... really bad things.

Plus, considering how Reyes looked after she suped him up... betting she isn't 100% honest with her patients.
No villain thinks themselves to be the bad guy. In this scenario, I'm sure both Doomfist and Moira think themselves to be revolutionaries.

I personally wouldn't call them evil, but I wouldn't call them the good guys either. The goal is admirable, but the way they're choosing to get there is disagreeable to me.
Evil and Good are just subjective.

To these people, what they're doing, they think is better for everyone while others disagree.

Are what Moira and Mercy do that much different when it comes down to it? They both return life and vitality to people, but with different ideals for their work.

I doubt Mercy would take the life of someone else, to save another. Moira wouldn't be above such mundane things, think of all you could learn or understand from that.

It's all just what one person views as "right" to the ideals of someone else.
I guess it depend if wether or not you see transhumanism as something good or bad (or neutral), since it seems to be her whole point.

Doomfist is clearely evil thought, social darwinism is a pretty bull!@#$ ideology, that anybody who actually take a look at how evolution work can dismiss right away.
There's no good and evil. Just perpective and concept of morality.
11/07/2017 11:42 AMPosted by Reiizm
A huge theme in this game's lore is moral ambiguity.
Doomfist believes conflict makes humanity stronger, and that's why his motives align with Talon's. He's not wrong, this idea parallels real life; we wouldn't have computers to play Overwatch on if it weren't for WWII.

Exactly.

The moral of the lore, Right and wrong in the overwatch universe right now is clouded.

Its not just, bad guys vs good guys.
she has long black finger nails, thus evil. her favorite color is purple, also a sign of her evilness. to a casual observer she's the most evil thing in existence. also for ppl who hate naruto, she's double evil cuz of that run.

i doubt blizzard would go out their way to make a character evil because reasons. they at least go out of their way to make their villains appear gray. actually, blizzard puts more effort into their perceived villains than their heroes.
"Every great villain is the hero of their own story"
It's up to your own interpretation but one thing I'd mention is that Moira is much more interested in the pursuit of scientific knowledge purely for the sake of understanding. She's less interested in the practical applications that derive from her discoveries: she is driven to know how things work.

That said, she has different ideas than most scientists about what constitutes acceptable research methodology.
Highly Rated
11/08/2017 10:49 AMPosted by Michael Chu
It's up to your own interpretation but one thing I'd mention is that Moira is much more interested in the pursuit of scientific knowledge purely for the sake of understanding. She's less interested in the practical applications that derive from her discoveries: she is driven to know how things work.

That said, she has different ideas than most scientists about what constitutes acceptable research methodology.

so she's chaotic neutral? I like that

Sweet. I got that vibe from her that all she wants is to push science further, regardless of how it's utilized. Thanks for the clarification!
She is unethical.

And that surely isn’t a “good” trait. She carelessly crossed any possible line dividing what can ppl do and what they should and shouldn’t do.
Highly Rated
She's less interested in the practical applications that derive from her discoveries: she is driven to know how things work.

Zenyatta's Transcendence must drive her insane...

Nice. That's also the reason why she chose to join Blackwatch. A wise choice, as Blackwatch wasn't as strict as Overwatch and let her continue her 'experiments'. So, in a way, Moira owes a lot to Reyes/Reaper.

It's like if David Bowie/Tilda Swindon played a Bond villain circa 1977 ;)
She kinda has the same attitude as Doctor Doom. Like both of them don't let their emotions control their descisions; they use logic and reason. And if that means betraying society's moral compass to further human advancement, they'd do it. Characters like that are so fascinating.