''You're free to main any hero that you want''

General Discussion
11/12/2017 03:03 AMPosted by SlickBeak
11/12/2017 02:54 AMPosted by Disco
strange, torb is my second most played hero, and I have yet to be banned or suspended for playing him.

Yep. Its almost like Blizzard didnt suspend someone for playing a hero, and more like Blizzard suspended someone because they got reported a lot!

This forum is full of ridiculous people. Its getting pretty old seeing threads like this. Does it suck that the guy got suspended because his teammates kept reporting him? Yeah. Does it suck for his 5 teammates that feel hes the problem (even if he isnt) and he cant flex to something more useful? Yeah. Should many suffer for one? Never. Is that fair? Of course not, thats life.

People here are blowing this whole thing out of proportion anyway, he got suspended for a day because of report spam. Not because he picked a specific hero. He went a long time without any action like this being taken against him, so he clearly wasnt getting spam reported before the day he got suspended.

@OP and people like them: If you want to be as petty as that GM Torbs teammates who got him suspended, by all means, report everyone who plays a character you dont like and doesnt switch.
And why was he reported ?

He was either
A) reported for not switching (I doubt it)
Or
B) reported for not switching of off Torbjorn

And hey now you do have a case where people get reported for their hero picks

Because like I said

A genji otp wouldn't have to worry about that
11/12/2017 03:10 AMPosted by Matrim
this very forum is full of people proud of reporting others for refusing to switch.

You say that as if you arent encouraging it just because you have a hatred for Genji lol. You're no better than they are. You get upvoted here because everyone else here hates Genji too. But objectively, for anyone who isnt crazy, you're all just as terrible as the people that spam report others for playing off meta.

This is what the system encourages you to do apparently, so I expect a massive increase in reporting for the pettiest of reasons. I have never heard of anyone suspended for abusing the report system, this very forum is full of people proud of reporting others for refusing to switch.

2 people in the supposed millions of overwatch players have been reported to have been suspended for poor teamwork.

this isnt even a mountain out of a molehill, this is a planet out of a grain of sand.
Yes but blizzard has stated that reports stack up by saying that even old reports still matter.

I can't find the post in which it was said but was along those lines.

But that only leads to the problem of everyone eventually getting a ban for no good reason.

These torb players just got it early because once again they were reported for not switching of from torbjorn.
11/12/2017 02:54 AMPosted by Disco
strange, torb is my second most played hero, and I have yet to be banned or suspended for playing him.

Yep. Its almost like Blizzard didnt suspend someone for playing a hero, and more like Blizzard suspended someone because they got reported a lot!

[/quote]
It's almost like he was reported for playing a hero....Wait, scratch "almost". He was reported fro playing a hero because too many players of this game are meta slaves and jerks about it.
Just saw a video of someone getting banned for 24 hours because their team reported him playing Tjorbjrn.

Honestly that !@#$ing scares me. Like I don't even want to open the game up now. I feel like the game is a preppy school run by %^-*ty power hungry teachers.

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that the developers banned someone for playing the wrong character or that the players ganged up on someone.
11/12/2017 03:16 AMPosted by SlickBeak
this very forum is full of people proud of reporting others for refusing to switch.

You say that as if you arent encouraging it just because you have a hatred for Genji lol. You're no better than they are. You get upvoted here because everyone else here hates Genji too. But objectively, for anyone who isnt crazy, you're all just as terrible as the people that spam report others for playing off meta.
Since when is having hatred towards a fictional character the same as helping someone get banned making them unable to play at all.
11/12/2017 03:15 AMPosted by Atrophy

Because like I said

So which is it? Suspended for playing a certain hero? Or suspended for being reported for playing a certain hero? There is a difference, and if you use logic you can see it. Of course, you moved the goal post, as I expect from this place.

A Genji OTP or any other OTP in the world could have to worry about it... if people actually spam reported them for being what they perceived as "the problem". Not sure why this is so difficult to understand. I guess the word of the day is: Emotions

Yeah, for having bad teamwork. Thats being a bad player, thats NOT being a disruptive player. Or otherwise every single Bronze-player is actually a troll in disguise, just ban them all. No multiplayer game should start banning players for simply being bad at the game. Even if Torbjörn would have 0% winrate in Competitive, it should still not be a reason enough to ban Torbjörn players.
You see, the problem with that is that they don't even hear about the Genji one-trick-pony, because people don't report him.

The issue with this being related to off-meta heroes is indirect, not direct. People won't report you if you instalock Mercy or Soldier 76, but they will report you if you instalock Torbjorn, Widowmaker, etc. It's also related to the nature of said heroes. The former mentioned are very versatile, can be used in almost any situation, the later are very situational.

I'm not saying I agree with the ban thing, but you need to see where that comes from. Banning one-tricks is Blizzard's fault, but the fact that off-meta heroes are the ones being target is something related to the playerbase.

This is overall, a very complicated and nuanced issue and we cannot just point fingers at Blizzard and say "shame on you!", because there are two sides of the coin and both have their pros and cons.
nobody knows if these 1-tricks were suspended solely because they played torb.

you are all just ASSUMING they were.

where is the evidence? other than biased anecdotal evidence from the people suspended and the kneejerk reaction of people blindly parroting conjecture on this forum?
11/12/2017 03:20 AMPosted by SlickBeak
11/12/2017 03:15 AMPosted by Atrophy

Because like I said

So which is it? Suspended for playing a certain hero? Or suspended for being reported for playing a certain hero? There is a difference, and if you use logic you can see it. Of course, you moved the goal post, as I expect from this place.

A Genji OTP or any other OTP in the world could have to worry about it... if people actually spam reported them for being what they perceived as "the problem". Not sure why this is so difficult to understand. I guess the word of the day is: Emotions
Did you not read the top part of my post or what ?

Also the genji otp thing was just an example you could replace him with heroes like mercy or soldier and you still wouldn't get the same outcome as the torb otps got.

Because people don't spam report someone who is playing meta heroes.
Because generally meta heroes are really strong.
So strong in fact that no matter the situation there is always the argument to keep these heroes on the team.

Have you ever heard that mercy should switch to ana because I sure haven't.µ

The only thing that I've heard is people who would report ana for not playing mercy.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This forum is full of ridiculous people. Its getting pretty old seeing threads like this. Does it suck that the guy got suspended because his teammates kept reporting him? Yeah. Does it suck for his 5 teammates that feel hes the problem (even if he isnt) and he cant flex to something more useful? Yeah. Should many suffer for one? Never. Is that fair? Of course not, thats life.

People here are blowing this whole thing out of proportion anyway, he got suspended for a day because of report spam. Not because he picked a specific hero. He went a long time without any action like this being taken against him, so he clearly wasnt getting spam reported before the day he got suspended.

@OP and people like them: If you want to be as petty as that GM Torbs teammates who got him suspended, by all means, report everyone who plays a character you dont like and doesnt switch.
And why was he reported ?

He was either
A) reported for not switching (I doubt it)
Or
B) reported for not switching of off Torbjorn

Because like I said

11/12/2017 03:22 AMPosted by Disco

where is the evidence?

https://i.imgur.com/R3vLIOR.png
nobody knows if these 1-tricks were suspended solely because they played torb.

you are all just ASSUMING they were.

where is the evidence? other than biased anecdotal evidence from the people suspended and the kneejerk reaction of people blindly parroting conjecture on this forum?
We know that they weren't suspended for playing the heroes that they wanted to play.

They got banned for not switching of off these heroes though.

The only problem that I have is that if you replaced their hero pick from torb to soldier or McCree we likely wouldn't have this situation
11/12/2017 03:26 AMPosted by MEITTI

where is the evidence?

"the reports you received are not because you were playing a particular character in competitive."
11/12/2017 03:22 AMPosted by Ruseman
You see, the problem with that is that they don't even hear about the Genji one-trick-pony, because people don't report him.

The issue with this being related to off-meta heroes is indirect, not direct. People won't report you if you instalock Mercy or Soldier 76, but they will report you if you instalock Torbjorn, Widowmaker, etc. It's also related to the nature of said heroes. The former mentioned are very versatile, can be used in almost any situation, the later are very situational.

I'm not saying I agree with the ban thing, but you need to see where that comes from. Banning one-tricks is Blizzard's fault, but the fact that off-meta heroes are the ones being target is something related to the playerbase.

This is overall, a very complicated and nuanced issue and we cannot just point fingers at Blizzard and say "shame on you!", because there are two sides of the coin and both have their pros and cons.
This ^

Thank you, really thank you, finally someone understands what I've been trying to convey for the last 30 minutes
11/12/2017 03:20 AMPosted by SlickBeak

Since Blizzard upheld the ban regardless, what difference does it make? 0. Nada. Zip.
Fact is you can now be suspended from the game in a Blizzard(TM) Endorsed fashion(R)
Not satisfied with your teams OTP stats? Blizz just gave you the greenlight to report them.
This is what both you and they are endorsing.

11/12/2017 03:30 AMPosted by Disco
11/12/2017 03:26 AMPosted by MEITTI

"the reports you received are not because you were playing a particular character in competitive."

I mean sure, if you ignore the VERY NEXT LINE that says "They are there, because of your refusal to cooperate wwith the rest of the team hence the disruptive gameplay suspension. If that means that you are picking up a particular character, completely ignoring the rest of the team composition, and the requests from people, that they cannot accommodate you to your play-style, then the reports are justified I'm afraid.

So in short:
You CANNOT be banned for playing 1 hero only because Blizz says you're free to choose your own hero as you see fit.
But you CAN be banned for not swapping off that 1 hero if your team demands it because Blizz says you must swap off to accomodate your team.

Do you not see how these 2 things contradict eachother just a tiny bit?
cmon people, that official blizzard message is floating around and people are still saying he was banned for playing torb?

there is a report option for POOR TEAMWORK, and that blizzard message is telling the player they were suspended for POOR TEAMWORK.
It makes quite the difference, actually. Will I be banned if I pick Torbjorn period? Or will I be banned if I get mass reported because people didnt like that I used Torbjorn? If you literally cant see the difference in that, I dont know what to tell you.

Show me where I endorsed it. I'll wait.
11/12/2017 03:34 AMPosted by Disco
there is a report option for POOR TEAMWORK, and that blizzard message is telling the player they were suspended for POOR TEAMWORK.

Because what they are saying the POOR TEAMWORK is, they say it's for playing the WRONG HERO.

11/12/2017 03:37 AMPosted by SlickBeak
It makes quite the difference, actually. Will I be banned if I pick Torbjorn period? Or will I be banned if I get mass reported because people didnt like that I used Torbjorn? If you literally cant see the difference in that, I dont know what to tell you.

Show me where I endorsed it. I'll wait.

If the end result is the same, you being suspended for 24hrs and then 48hrs and then longer, then what is the difference? There is none.
After doing some more thinking, banning people for playing certain characters in matches is probably good for business.

Overwatch IS trying to make it big in the E-Sports scene, so any disruption on the path to that glorious cash cow is going to be dealt with swiftly.