Solving Symmetra's issues. [MEGA THREAD]

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 11 Next
10/22/2017 03:57 AMPosted by Chublis
10/19/2017 08:06 AMPosted by Micrøwave
Symmetra has a lot of counters to pick from.
Name me a hero that doesn't.
Deploying Sentry turrets slow Symmetra down despite already taking 1.5 seconds to activate and having only 1 hp. This means Symmetra should never lay turrets near an enemy, especially a hitscan hero, because more often then not, Sym will die or be greatly injured.
Ok, don't lay turrets near an enemy then. You outlined both the problem and the solution in the same sentence.
Her Photon barrier is by far the weakest shield in the game. It has its pros for sure, such as stopping an ulting pharrah, but it's protection is very minimal, it's only effective for a few seconds, and has a very long cd. The overall shape is also weird, providing only frontal protection.
Have you seen Winston's barrier? That thing is made out of cardboard, flatulence and children's dreams. It lasts for 5 seconds, has nearly half the health of Symmetra's and has a much longer cooldown. Yes it's a dome rather than a shield shape but it still has considerably lower stats than Symmetra's.
When creating things, Symmetra shouldn't be slowed down. This rewards skill with fast turret placements and won't affect the lower ranks much, if at all.
How does making something easier reward skill? That's like saying putting stabilisers on your bike rewards skill.
Her Teleporter can be in a situation where it only has 2 charges left and you really can't do anything about it. It put's Symmetra in her very high risk spot that she's in because, well you saved your team from that push, but now you will not be able to for the next push.
Maybe you should have used your TP more effectively then.
And for QoL reasons, her team should be able to her her Tp/Sg through walls. It would make Symmetra feel more rewarding to play and also make her team feel more in line with their Symmetra, and hopefully causes less of the tension that is currently on Symmetra to not be as bad.
This one I actually kinda agree with.

Overall I personally think Symmetra's in a decent place since her rework. With that being said I stand by the fact that her damage and/or range should be nerfed, because I've lost count of the number of POTGs i've seen in which Symmetra runs around holding left click and kills 4 of the enemy team. It's ridiculous for an alleged 'support' hero.

that's a result of people ignoring her, Not her being overpowered, If you ignore the blender exists and stick your face in it, You will die.
10/22/2017 04:06 AMPosted by Raven
If you ignore the blender exists and stick your face in it, You will die.
Ok but what if the blender is hiding behind a corner and surprises me, locks onto me with it's increasingly damaging beam that doesn't require aim and can hit me even when I hide behind a corner or get out of it's range?

More often than not when Symmetra locks on to me I just take my hands off the keyboard because I'm as good as dead, and trying to shake her off would be a waste of effort. Come off it dude, Symmetra does way too much damage for a support.
10/22/2017 04:13 AMPosted by Chublis
Ok but what if the blender is hiding behind a corner and surprises me, locks onto me with it's increasingly damaging beam that doesn't require aim and can hit me even when I hide behind a corner or get out of it's range?

More often than not when Symmetra locks on to me I just take my hands off the keyboard because I'm as good as dead, and trying to shake her off would be a waste of effort. Come off it dude, Symmetra does way too much damage for a support.

Symmetra's damage is VERY limited in range, If you got into her range and you die to her, It's your fault for going inside her range.

The counter argument, If I walk around a corner and hanzo 1 shots me with scatter, It's not Hanzo being OP, It's me not observing the sonar arrow on the floor infront of me and choosing to walk quite literally into death.

You chose to not watchout for her, Thus you've chosen to engage on her terms, She is a Support - Defense hybrid, A defense is most strong when you fight on their terms, She is shut down by..

Junkrat, Winston, Pharah, Soldier, Mcree, Rienhardt and to an extent Roadhog after his buff.
10/22/2017 04:04 AMPosted by Raven
Here is one i'd like to see, LET ME DESTROY MY OWN ULTIMATE, The field of battle constantly changes, and if it's 2cp or payload, My Tele/shield generator can be come irrelevant at times, I use it to help a push and once we've gone past that area it can be ages before I can place a new one due to it being destroyed, Or the map has changed to the next part, Be it a check point or a capture

This

My suggestion is when u destroy your teleporter/gen u get a refund but for balance purposes u get them lower: teleporter get refund the remaining charges - 1 charge, shield gen get 50% refund so every time the enemy discover it's location u sacrifice half ult to change it's location
10/22/2017 03:57 AMPosted by Chublis
Symmetra has a lot of counters to pick from.
Name me a hero that doesn't.
Deploying Sentry turrets slow Symmetra down despite already taking 1.5 seconds to activate and having only 1 hp. This means Symmetra should never lay turrets near an enemy, especially a hitscan hero, because more often then not, Sym will die or be greatly injured.
Ok, don't lay turrets near an enemy then. You outlined both the problem and the solution in the same sentence.
Her Photon barrier is by far the weakest shield in the game. It has its pros for sure, such as stopping an ulting pharrah, but it's protection is very minimal, it's only effective for a few seconds, and has a very long cd. The overall shape is also weird, providing only frontal protection.
Have you seen Winston's barrier? That thing is made out of cardboard, flatulence and children's dreams. It lasts for 5 seconds, has nearly half the health of Symmetra's and has a much longer cooldown. Yes it's a dome rather than a shield shape but it still has considerably lower stats than Symmetra's.
When creating things, Symmetra shouldn't be slowed down. This rewards skill with fast turret placements and won't affect the lower ranks much, if at all.
How does making something easier reward skill? That's like saying putting stabilisers on your bike rewards skill.
Her Teleporter can be in a situation where it only has 2 charges left and you really can't do anything about it. It put's Symmetra in her very high risk spot that she's in because, well you saved your team from that push, but now you will not be able to for the next push.
Maybe you should have used your TP more effectively then.
And for QoL reasons, her team should be able to her her Tp/Sg through walls. It would make Symmetra feel more rewarding to play and also make her team feel more in line with their Symmetra, and hopefully causes less of the tension that is currently on Symmetra to not be as bad.
This one I actually kinda agree with.

Overall I personally think Symmetra's in a decent place since her rework. With that being said I stand by the fact that her damage and/or range should be nerfed, because I've lost count of the number of POTGs i've seen in which Symmetra runs around holding left click and kills 4 of the enemy team. It's ridiculous for an alleged 'support' hero.

All the points you made are a joke. I mean "Maybe you should have used your tp more effectively then." You mean don't tp back the 4 members?

I see you're gold so I don't know what she gets away with down there but that's what's wrong with the gold rank not Symmetra.

Support heroes and even tanks have the ability to do high damage but on certain condition

Zenyatta needs to put his discord first

Lucio needs to lead his projectiles....also needs to be around pitfalls in order to boop

Mercy needs to swap her main role in order to even use her weapon which is quite powerful

Ana needs to letterally snipe ( before nerfing her unnecessarily)

Symmetra needs to: 1) gets close enough and 2) stay close enough long enough to build up the proper damage which is very long

Actually Even on console her damage is not great specially from platinum and above most heroes can easily kill her faster

High level players rely more on her secondary fire which I believe needs slight speed increase
lucio, sym, mercy....triple support meta any1???? no?? ok...
10/22/2017 04:33 AMPosted by ShotgunElite
...Ok but what if the blender is hiding behind a corner and surprises me, locks onto me with it's increasingly damaging beam that doesn't require aim and can hit me even when I hide behind a corner or get out of it's range?

Support heroes and even tanks have the ability to do high damage but on certain condition

Zenyatta needs to put his discord first

Lucio needs to lead his projectiles....also needs to be around pitfalls in order to boop

Mercy needs to swap her main role in order to even use her weapon which is quite powerful

Ana needs to letterally snipe ( before nerfing her unnecessarily)

Symmetra needs to: 1) gets close enough and 2) stay close enough long enough to build up the proper damage which is very long

Actually Even on console her damage is not great specially from platinum and above most heroes can easily kill her faster

High level players rely more on her secondary fire which I believe needs slight speed increase

It really does, I can dodge it with my eyes closed, Its mostly used to walk around a corner and plant it straight into someone.

That's why you die, You admit defeat.
If you decide you have lost before you begin fighting then you will lose.

I can and have countered Symmetra as Mercy.
I use guardian angel to ping pong between people giving me distance on her then I shoot her in the face.

The key to beating Symmetra is keeping your cool and playing smart.

I have seen people playing hard counters to Symmetra who get melted by her then I kill her using pretty much who ever I'm using, It isn't just mechanical skill it is not being baited into her turrets and knowing that if you waste her time she loses charges. Also keeping distance.

I can't be bothered doing the math right now but if you look up Zenyatta and add up his damage over the same amount of time with discord orb you will be really surprised.
Also take into consideration Zen has range and Symmetra has to charge up...

Your top heroes that should easily destroy her are Junkrat, Zarya and roadhog.
Junkrat mine spam and even primary fire wrecks her, I don't like going near the new junkrat as Symmetra unless he is busy fighting someone else.

As Zarya just use bubbles to waste her time/make her lose charge while constantly shooting her. Wasting Symmetras time is really powerful vs the beam.

As roadhog hook her in and shoot her, New Roadhog is pretty powerful vs her.

Play positive, Play smart and practice, You can win.
So to sum up this thread let's see if symmetra mains agree on the following:

1) she needs a highlight on her shield gen, probably shield gen up time( this is VERY important, I can't believe this not a thing yet)

2) refund her ult at will but with reduced amount( ex: TP refund with -1 charge and SG with 50% )(debatable)

3) slightly increase secondary fire projectile speed

Is everyone on board???
10/22/2017 04:46 AMPosted by Hyperblast
lucio, sym, mercy....triple support meta any1???? no?? ok...

That actually happens way more than it should. It doesn't work because of the lack of burst damage ultimates from DPS.
10/19/2017 08:16 AMPosted by Tuwiki
This again? Symmetra doesn't need to be "brought up to par". She is in a pretty good place. You know it, or you wouldn't have tried to hit Grand Master with her. I'm starting to think you just want change for the sake of change.

By the way, some of these would easily make her OP.
Sometimes changing for the sake of change is what's best, why do ypu think we have bimonthly events throughout the year, or why we even have a PTR with experimental updates? All of these help to attract more players, old and new, because noome wants to play the same exact game the same exact way for 10 years.
10/21/2017 02:14 PMPosted by Micrøwave
I hope one day It will feel rewarding and you know your team will have your back, one day.

One day.....One......day.....
Bump
10/21/2017 04:46 PMPosted by BlyZeraz
Microwave, I feel like you, DrFate, and me should probably put together a proper Megathread for Symmetra at this rate. There aren't too many other Sym mains that im seeing actively engage in conversation about her current state and it seems like the 3 of us have or are finding a lot of good suggestions for ways to actually improve her without completely changing her core traits like some people insist on. Even if not that there needs to be something to really get the dev team's attention better then countless Symmetra posts from Genji mains and the like or daily small posts from us.
i can assure u if a megathread is made ill be there and ill keep it alive with my life we could also bring juggy and droid
10/22/2017 06:11 AMPosted by ShotgunElite
So to sum up this thread let's see if symmetra mains agree on the following:

1) she needs a highlight on her shield gen, probably shield gen up time( this is VERY important, I can't believe this not a thing yet)

2) refund her ult at will but with reduced amount( ex: TP refund with -1 charge and SG with 50% )(debatable)

3) slightly increase secondary fire projectile speed

Is everyone on board???

Make her able to select with ultimate is the "Default" template that you go to.

Most DPS can kill her before she ramps up, provided they have decent aim. and most tanks can kill her since it takes some time for her damage to ramp up.
As much as I agree with you, after having seen what fixing Junkrat's troll pick status did, I advise you to not want the same for anyone. If a troll pick becomes viable, people immediately assume only brainless skillless players play them, and it is very toxic and anti-fun. I would rather be a troll pick and surprise people than be a 'brainless pick' and get abused regardless of how I play.
People 'claim' they want overwatch to improve, but they actually only want overwatch to be easier for themselves, and they don't actually want change, if that change causes them to have to work any more.
The junkrat buff has made this junkrat main quit playing because of the community. I don't wish that on anyone.
As much as I agree with you, after having seen what fixing Junkrat's troll pick status did, I advise you to not want the same for anyone. If a troll pick becomes viable, people immediately assume only brainless skillless players play them, and it is very toxic and anti-fun. I would rather be a troll pick and surprise people than be a 'brainless pick' and get abused regardless of how I play.
The junkrat buff has made this junkrat main quit playing because of the community. I don't wish that on anyone.
i think tho the decs have learbed from their mistakes and would be able to help sym in a way that wouldnt be like junk
10/22/2017 10:14 AMPosted by DrFate
i think tho the decs have learbed from their mistakes and would be able to help sym in a way that wouldnt be like junk

"Wouldn't be like junk" You mean, keep her unviable? If she is even the slightest bit more effective in any situation, people will see her change as being OP, since symmetra then stands a chance in a situation that used to CAUSE her to be unviable in the first place.
Perspective is a trait the majority of people lack.