Why solo heal Ana?

Competitive Discussion
Because she's a good healer if your team can coordinate and because she brings other utility to the game like saaay...denying healing to the other team. Sleep darting an ulting Hog, Phara, or Genji's also fun.

Plenty of reasons to pick her.
I wouldn't doubt this is a troll post meant to trigger people on the forums, but on the slight chance it's not, my question aimed at you is, are you picking a tank or are you dpsing most of the times this situation occurs?
11/15/2017 11:52 AMPosted by Wolf
Ana has the highest HPS in the game without including abilities, assuming the Ana can hit her shots she'll heal more than a Mercy over the course of the game.

things get a bit muddier when you take into abilities, as rez is extremely powerful ability, but Ana packs a lot of added utility, that Mercy does not, without hampering her relative healing output, there's also the question of survivability, Ana have more survivability than a Mercy in many comps and situations.

overall though, both Ana and Mercy can fill the same role in the team and at your level there are no good reason to pick one over the other, it's mostly up to the player's preference.

Actually Mercy's Valkyrie beats out Ana's highest healing potential. You are also suggesting that Ana is focused only on healing. There have been many arguments that Ana should theoretically outheal Mercy. On paper it's possible. In the game it's also possible (and I have done it before). But it's definitely a rare occurrence. Especially with the introduction of the chain heal for Valkyrie. There are several reasons why a Mercy can outheal Ana and I'm not going to go through all of them here. But even without those points--just look at the top healing stats for both heroes. Even Lucio beats out Ana's healing output. (Although Ana's grenade does hand out a healing boost to any other support on the team.)
when i hear this i think.
Plz solo support player please take mercy signed the 5 dps hero's on your team.

Personaly i play support a lot but i don't like mercy so if i pick lucio and nobody els is bothered enough to pick a mercy/other healer thats on them.
Well, before mercy was a must-have - Ana actually was the best solo healer in the game back in the days of old mercy team rez. She was harder to play but she had the most potential to solo heal before rez was on a 30 sec cooldown and was a very hard support for flankers to just dive and pick off.

I don't know if it really applies anymore since mercy is such a must-have advantage but I think a lot of it is just people who are sick of playing mercy and people who have a hold over idea from when ana was the best pick for a solo heal in past seasons.
I have to solo heal quickplay a lot as Ana just because nobody wants to go healer. I'm also not a girl so I can't play mercy, just kidding, I just don't like her playstyle as much as Ana. Ana is more fun to me. Mercy seems to just be holding your mouse buttons and dodging enemy fire most the time. Ana can sleep enemies and has a bio-nade which are both op so you can win with a solo-healing Ana against a solo-healing mercy even though she can rez. It's still possible if the Ana can hit sleeps and bio-nades at good times.
11/14/2017 08:04 PMPosted by Partyhard
I see this a lot in Diamond/Masters level games where people pick Ana as a solo healer? I'm not sure what the idea is behind this strategy, could someone please explain?

Noone wants to play a healer and the one guy that does, doesn't want to play Mercy who is the only viable solo heal solution.

GG for the enemy team and probably a few reports and some generated toxicity - at least that's what happens in my games when there is noone who wants to go Mercy.
I should add that I think Ana's heals actually need a buff. With Valkyrie, Mercy's healing potential has gone up, while Ana's has gone done with the nade debuff a while back. Further, every shot Ana puts into an enemy is one she's not putting into an ally for heals. You not only have to make your shots as Ana, but they have to be on the right targets. Even when your aim is great, if you shoot at enemies too much, you may be under-healing your team.

Consider how less useful Mercy would be if people spent significant time with the pistol out every game, trying to DPS. It is sometimes the right thing to do for the pistol to come out or Ana to shoot at enemies, but it's undeniable that doing so means allies aren't being healed by that healer at the time.

I'm not talking smack on Ana, I -love- Ana. But consider the differences...

Mercy healing: Requires no aim and only brief line of sight, allies can be rapidly reached with guardian angel, almost eliminating range as a concern, can chain heal with ultimate, healing device doesn't need reloading, barriers aren't an issue, must sometimes be closer to danger. Can restore a full HP bar via rez every 30 sec plus once per ult.

Ana healing: Requires aim and constant line of sight, no range limitations, can't chain heal but can nade for a small heal and enemy splash, gun needs regular reloading so shots toward enemies and allies alike effectively create a brief cooldown on ability to heal, cannot heal through barriers, must at times zoom in, reducing awareness, can stay away from the front line but exposed to flankers without mobility and only sleep for defense.

Mercy is not just mechanically far easier, she's also less demanding on situational awareness, she has better mobility and escape options, and her healing is very consistent and reliable. Unless you're a god Ana, you will at times struggle despite good aim, simply because of where everyone is positioned and barriers. This isn't a problem for Mercy in the least.

I didn't compare to Lucio but would say Lucio's strengths and weaknesses are well known and not too relevant as he's a passive healer. Didn't mention Zen because he's passive and not main heals. Didn't go into Moira because she's too new for us to know yet.
snip
Mercy's weakness is she works by proxy, and her sheer team dependance, and i have died MANY times from my team being nowhere within LoS. As well as you do need a much higher situational awareness as Mercy as you are IN the fight as well as being a high value target to kill. Where Ana can do it from a distance however given the benefit you can be body blocked and whatnot. Ana you have to really have some mechanical aim and timing, Mercy's is knowing how to dodge bullets, be creative with your escapes, and value for your rez target, and of course large amounts of spacial awareness
11/16/2017 05:00 AMPosted by mobius
snip
Mercy's weakness is she works by proxy, and her sheer team dependance, and i have died MANY times from my team being nowhere within LoS. As well as you do need a much higher situational awareness as Mercy as you are IN the fight as well as being a high value target to kill. Where Ana can do it from a distance however given the benefit you can be body blocked and whatnot. Ana you have to really have some mechanical aim and timing, Mercy's is knowing how to dodge bullets, be creative with your escapes, and value for your rez target, and of course large amounts of spacial awareness

Ana hanging back can be as much detriment as benefit, however. She's not near defenders and if she gets pounced and doesn't have sleep or misses it, she's often dead. At least Mercy has an escape if anyone pops into LoS. I do think Mercy takes a good amount of awareness to avoid dying (I have played a -ton- of Ana in QP and effectively main Mercy in comp.)
ana is dope and very helpful personally when your team doesn't look out for you. you can heal yourself and sleep dart pests for a getaway or upperhand. in the wrong hands of course she is not pleasant to have on team. in ps4 the ana's are usually garbage so i can see why you may feel this way.
<span class="truncated">...</span>Mercy's weakness is she works by proxy, and her sheer team dependance, and i have died MANY times from my team being nowhere within LoS. As well as you do need a much higher situational awareness as Mercy as you are IN the fight as well as being a high value target to kill. Where Ana can do it from a distance however given the benefit you can be body blocked and whatnot. Ana you have to really have some mechanical aim and timing, Mercy's is knowing how to dodge bullets, be creative with your escapes, and value for your rez target, and of course large amounts of spacial awareness

Ana hanging back can be as much detriment as benefit, however. She's not near defenders and if she gets pounced and doesn't have sleep or misses it, she's often dead. At least Mercy has an escape if anyone pops into LoS. I do think Mercy takes a good amount of awareness to avoid dying (I have played a -ton- of Ana in QP and effectively main Mercy in comp.)
I main Mercy myself (i really enjoy her playstyle) A player showing up in LoS means nothing unless you are given adequate space, if they show up in the right location, and not being bodyblocked by enemy or ally (Roadhog is a huge offender for that) I have more hours of of Mercy play then you have playtime across all characters combined over a multiple of 2. Getting somebody to show up when you need them to is a matter of luck communication and prediction. With Mercy you windows for escapes/assists are consistently opening and closing. You have to multiple options you can take with only a second or so to think about it and react on top of layers of priority dependent on the situation. Its a simple character but it requires some creative quick thinking
11/15/2017 10:01 AMPosted by StareMaster
11/15/2017 05:36 AMPosted by Gesha24
Ana has the highest HPS in the game, so she is able to keep everyone up (unlike Zn, for example, who takes forever to heal up a tank). That being said, she is rarely the only character on the team who can heal. You either will have Soldier, or Sombra, or Symmetra, or Torb (yes, shields are not really heals, but that's better than nothing) - something that can help out with healing.

On paper Ana does more healing than Mercy but not by much.

Let's do a thought experiment with 5 D.vas or Roadhogs grouped up together with 500% health. Get them all damaged to a critica health. Who does more healing for five people within 20 seconds?

Ana heals 500 with her grenade every 10 seconds. 4 shots of 112.5 hp per second with the nade effects is 450. Next 5 shots is 375. Lets save for a preemptive reload which takes 1.5 seconds. Lets add them up multiple them by two and subtract a shot for the reload time.

This comes out to 2575 healing per 20 seconds. Ana's strength is increasing healing of other sources, burst healing by outputting a possible 600 health with her nade if you are considering it hits 5 people and herself. And if she has 100% accuracy and never died too--this could be her healing output.

Mercy is much simplier. 60 hps within 20 seconds is 1200 healing. But if you consider Valkyrie it can do 60hps for 5 targets for 20 seconds. 300 x 20 = 6,000 healing potential with her ultimate. And with a Rez ability too.

Mercy, while not having fancy burst healing capability does more healing than Ana. No downtime to any reload, doesn't have to use an ability to self heal. And she is also focused on healing rather than chaos control with Ana does. With Valkerye it is possible to surpass Ana's top value for healing 5 people in 20 seconds by just chain healing 3 people (3600). Or just below it, it would be 2400 for 2 people.

To me Mercys rez is, for all intents, a burst heal for X amount of healing. Yes its is single target and situational, but that is what it is.
11/16/2017 06:12 AMPosted by mobius
I main Mercy myself (i really enjoy her playstyle) A player showing up in LoS means nothing unless you are given adequate space, if they show up in the right location, and not being bodyblocked by enemy or ally (Roadhog is a huge offender for that) I have more hours of of Mercy play then you have playtime across all characters combined over a multiple of 2. Getting somebody to show up when you need them to is a matter of luck communication and prediction. With Mercy you windows for escapes/assists are consistently opening and closing. You have to multiple options you can take with only a second or so to think about it and react on top of layers of priority dependent on the situation. Its a simple character but it requires some creative quick thinking

I'm not sure how you determined you have 2x more playtime on Mercy than I do on all characters. You can't see my all modes playtime (a lot of it is past comp seasons) on the blizzard site stats, but in game it shows my all modes hours as 710 hours. You do have far more Mercy time than me, though, as I only have 80 hours on her total. Yes, I understand she can be body blocked, that guardian angel isn't some magical solution to danger, etc. I wasn't trying to say it was. But Ana has one sleep dart and nothing else.

If she gets dove by a Winston and doesn't have her dart or somehow misses it on that huge target, she's dead without a protector. Mercy can often be too if all of her allies are not around or too close to be a GA target, yet not killing the Winston fast enough. Heaven knows I've died plenty of times on Mercy to things like that, and you learn that many times your only option is to call out the Winston and start shooting and hope for the best.

I'm not discounting your impressive play time on her, you definitely have the experience on me. But it's indisputable that Mercy has better mobility than Ana, despite the fact she's still vulnerable. (Hey, at least I've never flew over a Junk mayhem by accident as Ana though, right?)
11/16/2017 07:09 AMPosted by Kinjiru
11/16/2017 06:12 AMPosted by mobius

I'm not sure how you determined you have 2x more playtime on Mercy than I do on all characters. You can't see my all modes playtime (a lot of it is past comp seasons) on the blizzard site stats, but in game it shows my all modes hours as 710 hours. You do have far more Mercy time than me, though, as I only have 80 hours on her total. Yes, I understand she can be body blocked, that guardian angel isn't some magical solution to danger, etc. I wasn't trying to say it was. But Ana has one sleep dart and nothing else.

If she gets dove by a Winston and doesn't have her dart or somehow misses it on that huge target, she's dead without a protector. Mercy can often be too if all of her allies are not around or too close to be a GA target, yet not killing the Winston fast enough. Heaven knows I've died plenty of times on Mercy to things like that, and you learn that many times your only option is to call out the Winston and start shooting and hope for the best.

I'm not discounting your impressive play time on her, you definitely have the experience on me. But it's indisputable that Mercy has better mobility than Ana, despite the fact she's still vulnerable. (Hey, at least I've never flew over a Junk mayhem by accident as Ana though, right?)
Im just saying Mercy needs mobility for the sheer lack of utility, where Ana has a higher potential healing output, respectable damage, a crowd control, burst healing nad, increases the healing done to a naded target, as well as negates healing to a naded enemy and a ultimate that makes a single target, hit harder and take less damage. Where Mercy has the best mobility(by proxy), rez, damage boost to a single target, and a raw single target heal output and a ultimate that allows her to fly and chain heal (still for 60 hps a second, meaning you can focus on somebody and strong arm through her heals with raw damage or just have a Ana on hand to negate the healing)

Ana can assist with dps with her 60 soon to be 70 damage rifle. Mercy isnt really a damage healer, just a healer in its purest form giving up offensive capability for healing and mobility where Ana can multirole
I usually heal or tank. If the only healer is an ana, lucio, or zen I usually pick support to help out unless they tell me they can solo heal. It’s not that hard.