Do you take the competitive system seriously?

Competitive Discussion
Before I start this post I will make clear that I always try my hardest to win a game.

The competitive games feel so random to me. I have the idea that it doesn't matter how good I play. If I play insanely well, like I have the game of my life, we still lose. If I play extremely bad, like two ranks below my rank, we still win. I think this feeling is very common for players and it causes the next few problems:

- Unrewarding games

- Tilting/ toxicity

- Trolling/ throwing on purpose

Unrewarding games: The more effort you put into winning, the bigger the chance of winning the game should be the basic principle right? For instance making a really good counter pick or making good calls for your team, keeping the team positive, etc. At the moment it feels like it doesn't really matter how much you try, the matchmaking has already decided for a big part who is going to win the game. People don't join voice chat anymore because people don't listen to calls, because they feel the same way.

Tilting: The unrewarding games, causes players that try really hard to tilt easily. Losing a close game, where both teams tried to win really badly, it feels way better than getting stomped or stomping the enemy team. The tilting in competitive games is actually a sign I think that a lot of people really want to win and try hard. The system just has to make sure that the energy is channeled in the right way.

Trolling: The random games make it that people who have been trying for a long time, just stop trying and start throwing on purpose. They have the feeling that it doesn't matter anyway if they try or not. Also , because solo Q is promoted by the current system, people play less with friends that keep them in terms I think.

How do we fix the competitive system?

I am not a scientist (well not yet, studying really hard), so I don't have the exact answer. I do however have some suggestions:

- Make the matchmaker look at your most played heroes

- Make the sr system win based only

- Promote playing together

- Discourage one tricking

- (Nuclear option) Hard reset

Make the matchmaker look at your most played heroes
: It can be really frustrating and a bad starting point in a game to see that you have 4 people that mostly play the same hero. People will start saying: '' gg 4 of the same one tricks''. They will not even try from the start. If you make it so that the matchmaker looks at most played heroes, everybody can play their hero more often and will try harder and not get annoyed at the beginning of the game.

Make the sr system win based only: Overwatch is a game, where statistics don't say all too much. I can get only one headshot on attacking first point anubis, but it can be the nano blade genji or something (not that good). The biggest indicator if somebody is a good player or not is the amount of games he or she wins. The system will be unbalanced for a while, but this is the best way to get a balanced and stable system in the long run I think. This post is a good example why this should be implemented: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20754946769?page=1

Promote playing together: Playing with friends is more fun and it also provides a check on yourself. I as a little boy pulled way more **** when my mom was gone than when she was around. I think friends will work as a motivator to stay positive and if you are a 6-stack and you are for some reason really toxic together, you will be the only one who is have problems because of that. Playing together also improves teamplay in general, the quality of the games will be higher and you are pushed more to learn to use your team and provide for your team. The thing now is that you get way harder games when you are in a group than when you are alone, at least this is the experience.

Discourage one tricking: Everybody should play who he or she wants to play. It just should not be more rewarding to play only one hero and never switch off than someone who is playing purely what the team needs to support his or her team. The sr system currently compares you to players in the same rank who also play that hero. Are you above average, than you will gain more sr. This creates ''boosted'' players: a boosted player is someone who is more than able to play his or her hero at the rank she or he is, but when the hero gets picked by someone else or is hard countered and the person switches off, the person is not able at all to play the other heroes on the same level. One tricking should therefore be less rewarding than it is right now, but should not be bannable or considered throwing.

(Nuclear option) Hard reset
: This is the most extreme option and Blizzard has already said that it will not do this, but I wanted to include it in this post anyway. When a new competitive system or matchmaker is introduced a hard reset will make sure everybody is in the right rank after a few weeks. The few weeks it takes to get everybody to the right rank will be really unbalanced. The reason why I wanted to include this anyway, is that I have the feeling the games can't get much worse than they are now. I don't want to trash talk Blizzard, but I have played so little close and balanced games in the last few months that I and I think a lot of other people wouldn't mind a hard reset. What may not seem as a good idea a few months ago, may well be a good idea right now.

So my question to you guys is:

Do you take the competitive system seriously? And what you would change if you could change something about the competitive system ?
Win or Lose I try my damndest and take my game play seriously, yes I get upset when I am the only tank or healer and DPS refuse to switch but I will always play my hardest because that horrible group comp could pull it off because the enemy team has crap too.
10/11/2017 07:16 AMPosted by Seefer
Win or Lose I try my damndest and take my game play seriously, yes I get upset when I am the only tank or healer and DPS refuse to switch but I will always play my hardest because that horrible group comp could pull it off because the enemy team has crap too.
Nice that you always try your hardest, but do you take competitive seriously and does it mean a lot to you ? How do you feel about competitive right now ?
Depends. If I see my team is serious and not just all offense or such I will. Otherwise no not really. I treat it as a little better QP as the exp is better.
I will play to win, I will always do my best, but I will not blame anyone, or any hero for a lost if and when it happen.
10/11/2017 07:24 AMPosted by Zzzzzzzzz
10/11/2017 07:16 AMPosted by Seefer
Nice that you always try your hardest, but do you take competitive seriously and does it mean a lot to you ? How do you feel about competitive right now ?

I do take it seriously, but only to a point, if I find myself starting to get really mad I just exit the game and do something else until I cool off, I feel competitive is a lot better than last season, I have yet to encounter throwers or leavers and less toxicity this season.

As for does it mean a lot to me? Well, that's a tough one to answer, when I am in game yeah it does but do I think about it outside the game? Not ever,
10/11/2017 07:26 AMPosted by Vánagandr
Depends. If I see my team is serious and not just all offense or such I will. Otherwise no not really. I treat it as a little better QP as the exp is better.

Do you think the changes in my post will help or do you think something else has to happen ?
I get nervious boi
STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR SUCKING THERE IS NO SYSTEM AGAINST YOU. ANY PRO WILL DESTROY YOU IN THEIR GAMES IF YOU WANT TO CLIMB PUT IN A EFFORT AND PRATICE STOP WHINING
I have not taken competitive as seriously since season 4 or 5. Just become a joke at this point. You could literally as you said have the best game of your life and still lose.

Few games ago we absolutely crushed this team on defense. I was like YES! finally an awesome team. Defense was Junkrat, Orisa, Torb, Mercy, Reign, I played soldier They did not even touch the point had 1 death.

Come to offense. Comp picks were Torb, Hanzo,Widomaker, Ana, Mcree, and I picked reign. Got obliterated on attack.

I literally had no words, on defense we had a great team comp that felt balanced and yet on attack somehow it fell apart as if they all just decided to throw the game.

I will just never understand this game or the people that play it.
10/11/2017 07:34 AMPosted by KingFlare
STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR SUCKING THERE IS NO SYSTEM AGAINST YOU. ANY PRO WILL DESTROY YOU IN THEIR GAMES IF YOU WANT TO CLIMB PUT IN A EFFORT AND PRATICE STOP WHINING
I am giving feedback and constructive critisism, because I literally love this game and want to contribute to making it better. Blizzard decides what they do with posts like this, but at least I am making an effort.
10/11/2017 07:34 AMPosted by heracles
I have not taken competitive as seriously since season 4 or 5. Just become a joke at this point. You could literally as you said have the best game of your life and still lose.

Few games ago we absolutely crushed this team on defense. I was like YES! finally an awesome team. Defense was Junkrat, Orisa, Torb, Mercy, Reign, I played soldier They did not even touch the point had 1 death.

Come to offense. Comp picks were Torb, Hanzo,Widomaker, Ana, Mcree, and I picked reign. Got obliterated on attack.

I literally had no words, on defense we had a great team comp that felt balanced and yet on attack somehow it fell apart as if they all just decided to throw the game.

What has changed since season 4 or 5 in your opinion ? Or was it just random that it was the moment your energy for tryharding ran out?
10/11/2017 07:38 AMPosted by Zzzzzzzzz
10/11/2017 07:34 AMPosted by heracles

What has changed since season 4 or 5 in your opinion ? Or was it just random that it was the moment your energy for tryharding ran out?

I think all the major changes to characters is really what caused the biggest issue for the community overall. Also the game has been out for over a year now so, I think since the system settles people into a certain rank and a majority of players are frustrated with the inability to climb to higher ranks has caused players to not care in any rank under diamond and sometimes even diamond games are just as bad.

When the game first came out it was all about team comp people really being the best support/tank/ etc... Now that they nerfed every defense hero into oblivion. The only fun is to play a DPS hero or essentially troll the game as many people do. I don't believe they do it purposely but they are simply trying to find new ways to have fun, because lets all be honest, we are all wishing to get off defense just so we can play offense. The game which was once fun to play at all classes is now useless. Torb one of the most fun characters nerfed into oblivion, same for bastion, roadhog, dva. The game truly used to take skill to capture points or hold points.

Now it's turning into a typical shooter game where every character is essentially the same with some "lazy secondary abilities" . Essentially blizzard is getting away from the original premise of the game which is what made it fun.

Not sure if you played the beta or when it first came out, but the game was absolutely fun for all characters and slowly through "nerfs" and "buffs" it slowly became a dps heavy game.
energy for tryharding ran out?

I don't think energy ran out, just tired of trying hard as you mentioned to have no benefit to me what so ever since it's a 6V6 game and ultimately no matter how well you play you are only going to do as well as the rest of the people around you.
i love this game to death, but its competitive mode? not so much. mostly due to my own issues, though. which sucks because i would love to become super good at this game. but as of right now i really only want to play it to get golden weapons for my mains. (so i'm really only doing my placements and mayybe a few more matches for now.. but since season end cp rewards were reduced it's gonna take even longer to get the guns i would like;; oh well)
however, when i DO play comp, i really do try my hardest. hell, i even find that i do play better when in comp, which is good!

anyways
i do care about comp, but i do not enjoy playing it. at all. there's too much toxicity and people tilt way too easily in a Video Game. don't get me wrong, i understand why tilting happens. ya wanna win the game but ya end up losing. everyone gets frustrated. but.. i dunno, i just don't like being around negativity.
however, i really do like your changes!! despite my hate of tilted and toxic people i think it would encourage me to play more.
10/11/2017 09:59 AMPosted by heracles
10/11/2017 07:38 AMPosted by Zzzzzzzzz

I think all the major changes to characters is really what caused the biggest issue for the community overall. Also the game has been out for over a year now so, I think since the system settles people into a certain rank and a majority of players are frustrated with the inability to climb to higher ranks has caused players to not care in any rank under diamond and sometimes even diamond games are just as bad.

When the game first came out it was all about team comp people really being the best support/tank/ etc... Now that they nerfed every defense hero into oblivion. The only fun is to play a DPS hero or essentially troll the game as many people do. I don't believe they do it purposely but they are simply trying to find new ways to have fun, because lets all be honest, we are all wishing to get off defense just so we can play offense. The game which was once fun to play at all classes is now useless. Torb one of the most fun characters nerfed into oblivion, same for bastion, roadhog, dva. The game truly used to take skill to capture points or hold points.

Now it's turning into a typical shooter game where every character is essentially the same with some "lazy secondary abilities" . Essentially blizzard is getting away from the original premise of the game which is what made it fun.

Not sure if you played the beta or when it first came out, but the game was absolutely fun for all characters and slowly through "nerfs" and "buffs" it slowly became a dps heavy game.

Thankyou for your answer. I have not played it in beta. I indeed do think the game is DPS heavy, which is a shame. I do think Mercy will be powerfull and balanced eventually and they will bring the other supports to her level. A 42% winrate Ana will not be unnoticed by Blizzard I hope. Also why is there an inability to climb rank you think ?
Just got out of a game where 3 seconds before round started on attack two people switched to Torb and Sym. They weren't even grouped. How can you take the game seriously with this?
And the very next game a person trolling as McCree. Yep this games "competitive" is a !@#$ing joke now.
I take the matches seriously but I've lost all faith in the ranked system so when it dicks me over It doesn't bother me any more. Personally I'm in favour of the hard reset, which we've all been told will never happen but still.

People keep telling me I'll just end up in my same rank again but I'm sorry I just don't believe that. Every time I do placements I get put in the same skill bracket regardless of my personal performance and then I'm prevented from climbing due to leavers, trolls and rage-throwers.

Say what you will, I don't believe I belong in the same bracket as someone who picks Bastion, spends the whole fight sniping in turret mode, not hitting anything and getting repeatedly blown up by any enemy who looks their way then complaining about having no heals.
lol Placement matches are so stupid. "They're called placement matches and they're meant to determine where you place... Unless you've played literally any other season. Then you just get placed in the same place as before. So if you've ever played Comp OW then placement matches literally have no point. However we'll still them every season..."

Not to mention that their MMR system is meant to force a 50% win, where even if you do start to do well it'll place you against increasingly difficult players so you're going to lose, and you lose more SR than you gain on average. So in the long run mathematically you will lose rank. There will always be some outliers "I climbed so anyone can do it obvious;y you're just bad" but as a system it is made to work against you, so what's the point? It's a bad system that hates the player.