I improve daily, but my SR does not

Competitive Discussion
Title.
So I've played comp every single season and been spending a lot of time in training mode to improve my tracking and aim. ALL MY STATS improved since release.

My hitscans in general increased over 10% per season (example: mcree went from 18 to 20, to 25, to 28.. now I'm around 40%, no I don't play him in comp but he's my reference of aiming progression)
My projectiles also increased a lot.

I watch quite some e-sports and pro players on twitch. I know full well the mechanics and can anticipate ennemy ults and counter them.

I know my counters, I know the plays.
Now the only thing I don't have is friends to queue with. I play on console btw if you wonder why my aim has such a low percentage.

I know you're not supposed to look at medals, but still, I regularly have 4-5 gold medals.
I focus on my role every time.

Literally all my stats have drastically improved ever since I started.

Because of issues with sony I've had to change account and thus also my overwatch account on ps4. So we could say that I "smurfed" if you can say that a gold player smurfs.

In season 2 I ranked at 2430... which is the last time I ever saw that rank. Ever since my SR has never stopped decreasing.

On my new account I placed in high silver! I never placed silver before! But then again I never won only 3/10 matches.

But the bad luck I have is just preposterous, it makes me almost sick to my stomach. Of these 10 matches, 2 had leavers, one I actually managed to win even though it was 4v6!

4 matches were 4stacks on the other side and a 2 stack on my side.

And one match was just 5 plats on the other side against 3 bronzes and 2 silvers on my side of the team...

The more I improve, the more my matches feel rigged. I manage to step up ever so slightly more every single game, I even manage to handle 2v1 and even 3v1, and yet it's never enough.

I know "SR don't matter" but at some point it just gets so frustrating! I seem to never be able to win!

This matchmaking system is so messed up it makes me want to stop playing altogether...
Clearly you haven't improved enough.
Try checking how much you get per win and per loss.

That essentially tells you how you are doing compared to the average for your rank.

If you're getting as much per win as you're getting per loss, then you're at the rank you deserve to be.

If you're getting noticeably more or less, then you need to play more to reach your true rank.
10/12/2017 12:40 PMPosted by EMc73

That essentially tells you how you are doing compared to the average for your rank.

If you're getting as much per win as you're getting per loss, then you're at the rank you deserve to be.

If you're getting noticeably more or less, then you need to play more to reach your true rank.

I generally get at least twice as much per win as I get per loss, the problem as I said is that my win/loss ratio is just so much influenced by leavers, or just incredibly bad matchmaking that I never get to really rise in rank!

It is so frustrating. Basically my match stipulation is this: if I can't carry the whole team by myself, I lose.

Here, an example, I play mercy, my teammates immediately overextend and die in enemy camp, or they all go flank outside of my field of view so that I can't even reach them or I still get symmetras in my team that put the teleporter close to a hole/out of bounds.

I get a reinhardt in my team? 9/10 he will charge into the ennemy team and die.

I often manage to take the point by myself on 2cp and almost teamwipe. But then on the second point, I just can't teamwipe all by myself fast enough.
The other way around, once it gets on the 1v6 scenario when I have to defend, I manage to take out maybe 2 or even 4 enemies, but by the time I respawn the point is taken.

Same with payload, I basically feel like I'm holding the point by myself, as soon as I die, my whole team follows, no matter which role I play, and then the ennemy gets into the steamrolling against me and it always ends like this.

Well not always, sometimes I'm lucky enough to get 1 or 2 good teammates that are even better than me and we just wipe the floor with the enemy team. But that happens like 2/10 matches at best.
Try duo queuing. I was diamond season 3, 4, and 5. I always believed that I should be master, and maybe one day even grandmaster. But it never happened. Then one day I started paying more attention to the reasons I was losing. I noticed trends with certain heroes (losing more frequently on certain heroes, and winning more frequently on others).

So I adjusted my hero pool accordingly.

Afterwards, I paid more attention to losses that I felt I couldn't have done anything more to prevent, and noticed things such as perhaps how I handled certain situations and toxic players, etc.

Lastly, I paid attention to the teammates I was getting, and noticed the matches I won were almost always due to one or more of the following: Smurfs, trolls, griefers, or toxicity.

So I decided to find one or more people to play with. I found another player who plays heroes that compliment mine well, and that I can't play very well, and I play heroes he's not very good at.

He's a really good pharah, hanzo, mercy, and zenyatta

I'm a really good tracer, genji, zarya, and hog.

So together we climbed up to masters! Hopefully we can keep going and hopefully hit gm.

I hope you give some of this some thought, and perhaps try seeing if you're having the same problems I had.

Every time I die, I let it all go through my head again and think why it happened. If it was my positioning, did I put too much pressure, overextend etc.

I almost never engage in unfavorable 1v1, I always try to regroup, and always think what I could have done better. Most times my answer is just: I should have been even better.

For example: the enemy pushes the payload, it's 5m away from the destination, and my teammates instead of trying to contest in desperation to at least try, will just run away and give up... so instead of having one last teamfight, it's just me activating overtime and dying and that's how the match ends...

And as far as my heroes are concerned, I don't main, I flex... I've learned to play a lot of heroes, so I can't really see trends in my losses with certain heroes. Example: I lose very often with Sombra because... if I had to say that I main a hero, it would be sombra. But that doesn't mean I shouldn't play her.

It's thanks to me playing her often that we wouldn't get totally crushed. I play her I would say above average, I finish off weak targets, hack the packs, go for the mercy, emp in important teamfights. The reason I lose is that sombra is not carry material. I cannot push the payload and do my job as flank/support.

I always end up with gold elims, heal, objective elims, and sometimes even hero damage with her, almost never die, yet we never win because nobody is able to hold a point on defense.
The thing is if I decide to okay tank, it doesn't work because I don't get any assistance, so I'm all alone trying to hold a point without healer, and I just get burned down by tracers/genjis, D.Vas etc.

Because yes, most my matches I have 5 dps in my team. Or an ana with no heal at all... I really thought people would give up on dps ana since her nerfs...
10/12/2017 12:58 PMPosted by Roca
10/12/2017 12:40 PMPosted by EMc73

I generally get at least twice as much per win as I get per loss, the problem as I said is that my win/loss ratio is just so much influenced by leavers, or just incredibly bad matchmaking that I never get to really rise in rank!

It is so frustrating. Basically my match stipulation is this: if I can't carry the whole team by myself, I lose.

Here, an example, I play mercy, my teammates immediately overextend and die in enemy camp, or they all go flank outside of my field of view so that I can't even reach them or I still get symmetras in my team that put the teleporter close to a hole/out of bounds.

I get a reinhardt in my team? 9/10 he will charge into the ennemy team and die.

I often manage to take the point by myself on 2cp and almost teamwipe. But then on the second point, I just can't teamwipe all by myself fast enough.
The other way around, once it gets on the 1v6 scenario when I have to defend, I manage to take out maybe 2 or even 4 enemies, but by the time I respawn the point is taken.

Same with payload, I basically feel like I'm holding the point by myself, as soon as I die, my whole team follows, no matter which role I play, and then the ennemy gets into the steamrolling against me and it always ends like this.

Well not always, sometimes I'm lucky enough to get 1 or 2 good teammates that are even better than me and we just wipe the floor with the enemy team. But that happens like 2/10 matches at best.

Then play more, if you are overpreforming you will win more than you lose, and if you are getting 2x more SR for winning than losing, then you should climb rather quickly.
You're placing all the blame on your teammates for you not escaping Gold. You are almost certainly not playing as well as you think you are. If you were outperforming the average Gold player routinely you'd be winning constantly.
The only fixed variable in every match is you. Statistically, you are at the level of play you should be.

That being said, sadly the skill rate isn't based solely on win/lose, so it isn't very good.
The skill level across the ladder isn't static. Everyone else just like you is continuously improving. You just have to try and work harder on getting better if you want to get ahead and start climbing.
Hey, I understand the climb is rough. You can only improve compared to someone on the enemy team like if you were mercy be better than theirs. I had a person who said I don't care about this game or comp. And was awful, toxic even they purposefully played widow to hurt the team. It's not something you can stop unless you have 5 other really well rounded friends to join. It is possible to climb I went from silver, to bronze season 5 and back to high silver now I'm just stuck at 1900 gotta keep improving take a break if you start losing. More gold medals and beating your average I think helps
10/12/2017 01:16 PMPosted by Arzoo
You're placing all the blame on your teammates for you not escaping Gold. You are almost certainly not playing as well as you think you are. If you were outperforming the average Gold player routinely you'd be winning constantly.

Nah. I have run into a handful of people in upper gold lower plat games whose mechanical skill was GM level and the games would still be relatively close. This game really doesn't lend itself to carrying with all the auto aim ults, barriers, and healing. It can be done but it isn't going to be nonstop steamrolls. Those people should still be climbing even with solo queue at least till around upper diamond lower master though but I don't think the OP was claiming he is that kind of good.
You forget that while you have improved, so has everyone else.
Have you thought about playing Blackpink while playing? Boombayah is an uplifting song
I use to be gold ranked :(. Maybe I didn't belong there.

The only thing I can figure is this game has gone though a variety, maybe even massive, exodus of players leaving this game. The new batch coming in has been placed all over the bronze to diamond spectrum.

The median talent levels have shifted.
The casual players still have a placement representative of older meta.
There have been some very big hero re-works creating new meta.
The ELO system is still adjusting all of this.
Many mid-season nerfs/buffs.
Some people have adjusted to changes slower/faster than others.

My understanding of the ELO MMR system is that placement is based relative to performance while winning in relationship to others that play the game.

I have seen few people, on my friends list, remain in their previous season's rank this year. They either got better or worse.
You have been playing 1267 different heroes in comp, stick with what you know. You don't rank up by winning (everyone has around a 50% winrate) you rank up by playing better then other people.

Good stats while losing, is losing less SR, good stats while winning is gaining more SR, if you play better than others you will rank up. If you don't rank up then you need to play better.
I know personally I was getting frustrated about the same sorta thing. So I made a smurf as well and on my smurf I am playing with high diamond to master players mostly. It also takes a long time to take anybody to place me with. On my main account I struggle to stay on platinum.
Getting better at aiming, and better at OVERWATCH are two different things. Do you make good call outs? do you keep your teams morale high? Do you know how to identify high threat level opponents? Do you have good target prioritization?
There are a lot of things you have to work on before you actually start ranking up. Mechanical skill is only one of them, and Overwatch specifically likes to minimize the effect mechanical skill has.
Let me check your stats...

You played 16 matches this season, if you wanna climb you gotta play more.

and you acc is absolute garbage, you have to work on your aim dude
Something to keep in mind is that unless a special promotion is occurring the older a game gets the less new players the game has. New players tend to be pretty bad.

As a result when you get less new players coming in, the average skill of the game generally increases. Your SR will likely drop unless you improve at a rate faster than the average of the game.

Additionally, players of low rank may also be more likely to quit competitive play leading to more players gradually getting sucked down.