Is Competitive Actually Competitive?

Competitive Discussion
As it exists, and as I see it, competitive is a glorified quick play. Matches are roughly the same length, respawns are no different, the gamemodes' settings aren't unique (besides sides swapping after the first round.) The only difference is that people get more upset at it because they care about their SR number...

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying it isn't fun. It isn't competitive, though. Because it's called "Competitive" it's at least taken semi-seriously by the people who play it.

But what I'm saying is that each game of Competitive just feels like a game of QP with extra steps. It hardly stands apart from QP, other than you get more XP, and golden gun points.

If Overwatch really wanted to have a proper competitive scene, it would take steps to make Competitive be different from Quick Play. It hasn't done that, it's actually gone backwards if you ask me (the KotH change from best 3 out of 5 to 2 out of 3 like in QP).

So what if losing 3 rounds in a row after winning the first 2 feels bad? There has to be a winner, and there has to be a loser. That's just how competition works. The other team was put through a test, got their act together, learned from their mistakes, and then properly won against those who couldn't adapt for the long run.

PENALTY FOR DEATH. Some ideas for this; limited amount of respawns, (ticket system for example), The more you die, the longer your respawn timer (like junkenstein's revenge 2017). I'm no game design expert, but the idea is that a penalty for dying would teach people to maybe not waste their life, and learn how to play with smarter positioning to avoid death as often as possible.

LONGER MATCHES. Too many games where I hardly get to figure out how to work with my team, and by the time everyone's come together it's already too late. Really disappointing, and it doesn't allow either team time to learn and adapt to each other- that's what you need to get synergy (that cool word that people use when you learn how to work with someone. pretty rare in matchmaking, huh? it shouldn't be.)

A way to make matches longer is to REMOVE DRAWS. Back to what I said earlier, in competition, there HAS to be a winner and a loser. That's just how it works. Draws don't feel good in Overwatch. They just feel like a waste of time. If teams have to swap sides multiple times to determine a winner then so be it! It lets players use MORE of what they know to overcome a situation rather than only using SOME of what they know in a short amount of time.

Thanks for reading if you did. I hope my thoughts are coherent, and that you can agree with at least some of this. I genuinely love this game. It's one of the best I've ever played. I just think there's a big issue with the way competitive is handled to really even call it competitive.

tl;dr- I think the comp formula is too similar to QP to really call it competitive. Though I do genuinely love Overwatch. I want it to be competitive. It just isn't right now. There's no real reason to take it seriously. That being said, it's not like you can't have fun on it though. Been playing since launch!
I agree with you on everything except Draws.
10/12/2017 08:40 PMPosted by Metsik

I like and dislike draws. I like them because it means both teams learned how to beat each other. But I dislike them because neither team won or lost. What's the point for all that struggle? Golden gun points, XP, and time lost is all it boils down to.

Probably a personal thing, but it's just not quite that fun or interesting after going through about 6 or 7 of them.
Basically correct op. Quick play with the best format in the game. I promise no one cares about what rank you are because it doesn't matter.
10/12/2017 08:43 PMPosted by proseph
10/12/2017 08:40 PMPosted by Metsik

I like and dislike draws. I like them because it means both teams learned how to beat each other. But I dislike them because neither team won or lost. What's the point for all that struggle? Golden gun points, XP, and time lost is all it boils down to.

Probably a personal thing, but it's just not quite that fun or interesting after going through about 6 or 7 of them.

It adjusts your MMR as well.
People like to say that to discredit Competitive, but QP is god damn awful.

The problem in Competitive is trying to get at least 1 healer and 2 tanks or at least 2 healers and 1 tank.

In Quick Play, you're lucky to get a single healer or tank.
10/12/2017 10:10 PMPosted by Butterland

The problem in Competitive is trying to get at least 1 healer and 2 tanks or at least 2 healers and 1 tank.

This is true, but should it really be so similar that it's basically a razor's edge difference? Like, I'm no advocate for the role selection queue, but it's at least odd that the competitive game mode is basically no different than the casual mode. Doesn't seem right to me.

This is 100% an issue as well, with gold and below in comp. Also I'd wager a bet on stating this is also probably an issue in low plat as well.

More or less the luck of the draw/willingness of your team to be flexible.
10/13/2017 06:59 AMPosted by drjay

This is 100% an issue as well, with gold and below in comp. Also I'd wager a bet on stating this is also probably an issue in low plat as well.

It's an issue in mid plat too.
10/13/2017 06:59 AMPosted by drjay

Nah, it's the same issue at all ranks. In fact, Silver/Gold will flex or go meta more often than Plat+. I've had a lot more no tank or no healer games in high plat than at any other rating.
I think that issue could really be attributed to the very casual nature to Overwatch. There's really not a whole lot you have to invest in any given game, because in 10 minutes or less you'll be in the next one.
I understand what you're saying, but I have a couple thoughts. The Draw system was looked at and changed to decrease the amount of Draws specifically with capture points. There was time that if you full held a capture point, you could just send a tracer or Sombra to touch the point and you would instantly win. That wasn't competitive and didn't feel good playing, so the devs made is so you had to get 33% on capture points. I think this was a good change and it's pretty hard to Draw now (or at least much more rare). Again with the spawn counter. The closer you get to capturing a point, the longer it takes to spawn you. I think the number could be increased a bit because 2cp on certain maps are almost impossible to capture if both teams are playing well. It seems that on second point, big plays aren't rewarded enough because the defending team can trickle to the end up time basically forcing you to have to string together two team wipes back to back. I think we need to take steps to get the community more engaged in competitive play, and when I say engaged I mean only make it appealing to the players that actually want to have a competitive atmosphere. I think we could start by making golden guns achievable outside of comp (maybe make character specific challenges to work towards). I think the second step is to tighten up on the toxicity. There's no denying that when this game is played with an engaged team, it's the most fun gaming experience win or lose, but there are too many bad eggs that ruin it for the rest of us.
This guy gets it. Let me link to your post from my post about matchmaking/MMR. Because that is the cause of your malaise my friend.
Sometimes it feels like quickplay, but most of the time (at least in Plat) it is actually competitive, yes.
10/18/2017 11:12 AMPosted by emberfly
Sometimes it feels like quickplay, but most of the time (at least in Plat) it is actually competitive, yes.

I haven't been in platinum for a few seasons, and I think this is why:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759237722
No competitive is a complete joke right now and it’s sad