People are stuck in ranks despite the skill to play higher

Competitive Discussion
Aimbotcalvin posted this article by a pro Korean player and it was a very well articulated article that I believe we should see in the United States battle net. It is there highest rated thread.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/78ozhi/former_flash_lux_main_tank_moderns_statement_on/
Read this last night. Upvoting and commenting because the entire community needs to see this!
bump
This exactly how I feel. I'm so burnt out of comp. I feel like I can do my best but the system punishes me for playing well. I was top 10% best Zen player in the game for the longest time. But I just have no control of the games, its a roll of the dice. I'm so burnt out from the punishing match making, the people that play this and game breaking patches such as Mercy's res allowing to stay so long.

Overwatch twitch views have completely tanked. People are leaving in droves, I have given this game my life in the past year... I love this game or loved. I can't deal with this punishing system any longer.
yeah, he's dreaming....i would love 150 difference in sr max. but actually to have people enjoy games with their friends there are constantly games with 300sr + differences.. and having just spent the last part of the season as part of a 5 stack attempting and failing to carry a new bronze player who can't aim and has never played before all the way to gold with 1 diamond and 4 mid-upper plat players...i can say that allowing people to queue in ranked with huge SR differences ruins the game. But there is no reason for me to take the competitive mode seriously when i constantly lose games for similar reasons...oh 3 stack playing with a friend who has nothing resembling basic skill but is getting boosted....guess i lose this one regardless of my ability to kill 4 of them every fight. gg

i think the most interesting part of falling 900 points to low silver while trying to carry this new player were the games where i had 34 kda but couldn't break the enemy position...that was a new exp for me even in 900 hrs of playing this game.

Anyway, yeah, this pro is right of course that to have high quality games you have to limit the MMR/SR differences in the teams. However, i can't dream of that yet. i'd be content if they'd just limit it to 300sr difference for now.

best line from his post:

" People who try hard need to be rewarded and people who don’t need to be punished, and this needs to be displayed in a systematical way.""
10/26/2017 05:16 AMPosted by airrodgers12
Aimbotcalvin posted this article by a pro Korean player and it was a very well articulated article that I believe we should see in the United States battle net. It is there highest rated thread.

https://amp.reddit.com/r/Competitiveoverwatch/comments/78ozhi/former_flash_lux_main_tank_moderns_statement_on/

It's on the general forums.
Already close to 400 likes and 7 pages of responses.
No comments by the devs though (like with every actually relevant thread)
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759239752?page=1
I up voted this and the original post, about time someone spoke up.
10/26/2017 06:11 AMPosted by VenteNegra

I put it in the competitive forums, because that is what it is about the competitive system.
As soon as a game dies, the dev team switches to a new money making game. This is capitalism and we are just wallets on legs. Nobody will respond as long as a coin can be made.
Next game is in the making, trust me, nobody cares....
I'm pretty sure the issue is the MMR system. I just started OW a couple months ago, around beginning of S6. I placed as soon as I hit 25, I had no game sense, no map knowledge, my aim was garbage, couldn't decide who to main and had trouble flexing because I just didn't have enough time on enough heroes.

Two months later I'm easily twice the player I started out as and my SR is getting LOWER. Simply keeping the SR differences closer together in matches won't do anything at all. I'm far, far better than many players with 1200 SR, and far, far worse than several others with 1200 SR.

What we need to be matching by is the metric they use to determine how much SR you gain or lose. Match by the stats you attain compared to the average for the heroes you play in that tier. If I'm 15% better than the average bronze in stats for my heroes, place me both WITH and against players who output roughly the same.

Stops smurphing as well, since a GM playing bronze will easily double the effectiveness of other bronze players and never end up matched with them. They'll be stuck playing other smurphs or waiting 20 minutes for a game, which is honestly the least they deserve.
Definitely bumping this.
Everybody (including blizzard), please read this :)
10/26/2017 06:37 AMPosted by Millface1
I'm pretty sure the issue is the MMR system. I just started OW a couple months ago, around beginning of S6. I placed as soon as I hit 25, I had no game sense, no map knowledge, my aim was garbage, couldn't decide who to main and had trouble flexing because I just didn't have enough time on enough heroes.

Two months later I'm easily twice the player I started out as and my SR is getting LOWER. Simply keeping the SR differences closer together in matches won't do anything at all. I'm far, far better than many players with 1200 SR, and far, far worse than several others with 1200 SR.

You've only played 20 hours this season (season 6). How do you expect to climb if you don't even play?
10/26/2017 06:11 AMPosted by VenteNegra

Don't trash the developers or big bad Jeff with lay his banhammer upon you
I am glad that the poor matchmaking/rank system is finally getting some long overdue mass-criticism on these forums. However; it's a bit frustrating that others on these exact forums have been stating this exact thing for multiple seasons now, only to get insta-downvoted and shouted down by the WhiteKnights.

Only now that the high-ranked players start to voice the exact same concerns/criticisms that others have stated on these forums many months now, does it start to gain traction and "believability" amongst the community as a whole.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. It's awesome that this is finally starting to happen. I just think that people need to start thinking more independently about things instead of just following what ever the "pros" say like their mechanical skill gives them some extra level of intelligence that us "normal" people don't have. Everyone has the ability to critically think about the issues with this game, (or any for that matter), not just the pros.
Blizzard REALLY needs to listen to this guy! Upvoting!
Guys, Jeff is gonna make another developer update blaming us for lack of content :( Stop making Jeff sad and buy OWL merchandise and Blizzcon tickets :( Make Papa Jeff happy.

(yeah Jeff, its clear the OW team only cares about making money anymore.)
his post was REALLY good.

I like that he focuses on the biggest issues and prioritizes the issues in a correct way like he touches on smaller issues but he doesnt blow them out of proportion. He just lays it out really cleanly like ....look x,y,z is wrong. x and y are REALLY wrong. z is wrong as well and needs work.
Yes.

There are so many things wrong and so many people blame just one thing (matchmaking sucks, SR is broken, mercy mains ruined everything) but it's not just one thing, its a mixture of many inefficient systems creating a big, big mess.