Console Report System is Broken. This is my story.

General Discussion
1 2 3 26 Next
So today I recieved my 3rd silence ban of the Playstation 4 server.

I shrugged off the 1st one as a fluke.
The 2nd one I appealed to no avail and made a few posts about.
After that 2nd one I simply stopped using a microphone altogether for fear of a 3rd strike policy, nonetheless today I just received my 3rd silence ban. I WAS NOT ON THE MICROPHONE AT ALL. In fact I had gone as far as to also turn off all chat audio in the game.

Their are a lot of kids on the PS4 that are using the report system to single people out for bans, and I am often the target because I have a gold portrait at a level (low gold) where it's uncommon.

I've posted a few times about other players in the deep silver-gold border and they have similar stories of being singled out.

This is totally unacceptable. Last time it happened I contacted Sony. Sony stated that sense this is something within a particular game and does not affect my PSN account on the whole, and referred me back to Blizzard. Blizzard denied my appeal, and I doubt they actually did anything as far as looking into it.

I don't know what the PC experience is like, but on the PS4 this user-report system is being abused hard, and I am a victim of it. Once again, I'd like to state. I WAS NOT ON THE MICROPHONE WHEN THIS LATEST BAN OCCURED.

What I am supposed to do at this point? I feel like giving up.

Now making a thread about a silence dispute is technically against the forum rules, and blizzard did ban my forum account last time, even though I stated the reason for making a post was that I could not get help from Sony or through their ticket system.

Let me be clear: This is not a thread posting about my own particular ban. This is a thread posting about the broken state of the PS4 Report system and how it is being abused toward players that stand out in anyway. In my case it's the portrait, in other cases it's how a user sounds, the sex of the user (female), an unpopular hero selection, ect. Immature people are using it to get legit users banned, and that's flat out wrong. THAT is toxic.

I'm about to the point where playing this game is just an exercise in frustration and misery. The thing that keeps me going is my pursuit of Platinum badge (which I fell just short of at 2424 last season), and my honest love of the game itself. However, the community and the recent changes to a lot of the cast, is turning what was a great game into a call of duty clone with a much much worse community.

At the time of this post I have 1,393hrs of my time into this game. I care about it, and I want it to continue to be a success, but it really is getting to be more trouble than it's worth.

I'm hoping for a developers response here. I've given you 1400hrs. Give me 5 minutes.
You could call them.
Question becomes, how do they prove/uphold a ban on console? If they're collecting our in game voice chat then that's a bit creepy but they could easily find you in the right. If they are not collecting in game voice chat then they can't prove you did anything wrong. At face value, this makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not going to say whether you're telling the truth or not, but if you are this is pretty dumpy.

As an aside I can tell you XBL is weirdly chill for Overwatch despite how ugly other games get on that network. PC has text chat so evidence is usually more available.
Post it on twitter. Post it on reddit. Post it anywhere blizzard can't actually delete it. Customer service/Player Behavior departments are usually working from a script, overworked, and under heavy pressure to get through way too many cases in a day. And that's assuming they actually work for the company and aren't contracted. Many companies use contracted services who really only exist to justify the use of their services.

Seriously. The odds you will get an actually helpful person from their support tickets is about 1%. Skip that and make a big fuss elsewhere because at least their PR team cares if you start messing with Blizzards image and will try for damage control.

10/23/2017 02:14 PMPosted by caracc
Question becomes, how do they prove/uphold a ban on console? If they're collecting our in game voice chat then that's a bit creepy but they could easily find you in the right. If they are not collecting in game voice chat then they can't prove you did anything wrong. At face value, this makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not going to say whether you're telling the truth or not, but if you are this is pretty dumpy.

As an aside I can tell you XBL is weirdly chill for Overwatch despite how ugly other games get on that network. PC has text chat so evidence is usually more available.

It's an automated system that hands out punishment based on a threshold of reports rather than actual evidence.
Pretty sure the silences are automated after so many reports, I got silenced after placements for "Abusive chat" even though I didn't use a mic throughout my placements. It was odd, but the silence didn't truly affect me because not using a mic, get silenced, brings me back to square one where it literally doesn't affect me. You silenced someone who doesn't use a mic, congrats you sure showed them!
10/23/2017 02:14 PMPosted by CheatinTom
Post it on twitter. Post it on reddit. Post it anywhere blizzard can't actually delete it. Customer service/Player Behavior departments are usually working from a script, overworked, and under heavy pressure to get through way too many cases in a day. And that's assuming they actually work for the company and aren't contracted. Many companies use contracted services who really only exist to justify the use of their services.

Seriously. The odds you will get an actually helpful person from their support tickets is about 1%. Skip that and make a big fuss elsewhere because at least their PR team cares if you start messing with Blizzards image and will try for damage control.

10/23/2017 02:14 PMPosted by caracc

It's an automated system that hands out punishment based on a threshold of reports rather than actual evidence.

I'm not trying to wage a war on Blizzard or anything like that. I'm trying to get a problem solved. If they don't address it, then I'll just keep playing it with the mic and voice turned off until I'm eventually banned, and then I'll play different games. I like it a lot, but like I said, it's being more trouble than it's worth. I'll still play Neverwinter.
It as stated by Sony support is driven by the in-game reporting system - it's an OW voice ban like on the PC - from what I understand, volume of complaints to Blizzard can result in a voice ban as first enforcement step - this action is taken if the reports never mention voice chat - it's not strictly for toxicity, mic spam, trolling or whatever - it can be merely from playing an off meta hero too much - whatever drives reports

Not taking a position one way or the other - just framing the issue
I don't even care if they won't lift the silence, but could I get that big warning label chunk off my screen please? Cut my audio permanently if you want to, but don't obstruct my view in an FPS? I'd take that deal.
10/23/2017 02:25 PMPosted by Chaghatai
It as stated by Sony support is driven by the in-game reporting system - it's an OW voice ban like on the PC - from what I understand, volume of complaints to Blizzard can result in a voice ban as first enforcement step - this action is taken if the reports never mention voice chat - it's not strictly for toxicity, mic spam, trolling or whatever - it can be merely from playing an off meta hero too much - whatever drives reports

It really shouldn't be automated in any way, unfortunately it can be abused and I don't think its possible to prove what someone says on mic w/o video evidence? Correct me if i'm wrong. I can mute anyone who deserves a mute/silence faster and to more people than blizzard can with this automated system.
10/23/2017 02:26 PMPosted by ZeroSymbolic
I don't even care if they won't lift the silence, but could I get that big warning label chunk off my screen please? Cut my audio permanently if you want to, but don't obstruct my view in an FPS? I'd take that deal.
Just call them my dude. You get more results talking to a real person than a ticket someone can X off
10/23/2017 02:31 PMPosted by Purple
10/23/2017 02:26 PMPosted by ZeroSymbolic
Just call them my dude. You get more results talking to a real person than a ticket someone can X off

What's the number? The ticket system is the only way I know of to get in contact with Blizzard. I'd love to call them. I'd like to call them and record it (with their permission).
10/23/2017 02:29 PMPosted by Hobotripin
10/23/2017 02:25 PMPosted by Chaghatai

It really shouldn't be automated in any way, unfortunately it can be abused and I don't think its possible to prove what someone says on mic w/o video evidence? Correct me if i'm wrong. I can mute anyone who deserves a mute/silence faster and to more people than blizzard can with this automated system.

Oddly enough, voice ban is also the first action taken for complaints driven by purely in-game actions - one can be voice banned because enough players report you for whatever reason - no communication is required - the intent is that someone repeatedly jumping into the well in Ilios can be reported and actioned, but often people fire off reports in a salt-driven witch hunt rather than for good reasons

It isn't triggered by one two or even 5 reports however - usually such bans happen to folks whos playstyle gets under the skin of lots of folks they play with such as attack Torb for better or for worse
10/23/2017 02:38 PMPosted by Chaghatai
10/23/2017 02:29 PMPosted by Hobotripin
... It really shouldn't be automated in any way, unfortunately it can be abused and I don't think its possible to prove what someone says on mic w/o video evidence? Correct me if i'm wrong. I can mute anyone who deserves a mute/silence faster and to more people than blizzard can with this automated system.

Oddly enough, voice ban is also the first action taken for complaints driven by purely in-game actions - one can be voice banned because enough players report you for whatever reason - no communication is required - the intent is that someone repeatedly jumping into the well in Ilios can be reported and actioned, but often people fire off reports in a salt-driven witch hunt rather than for good reasons

It isn't triggered by one two or even 5 reports however - usually such bans happen to folks whos playstyle gets under the skin of lots of folks they play with such as attack Torb for better or for worse
Yeah its just an unnecessary punishment, let alone first line of "defense" for throwing etc. Throwing should be met with an immediate week suspension and there should be no automated actions because many people get reported for things that are explicitly stated not reportable.
10/23/2017 02:38 PMPosted by ZeroSymbolic
10/23/2017 02:31 PMPosted by Purple
...Just call them my dude. You get more results talking to a real person than a ticket someone can X off

What's the number? The ticket system is the only way I know of to get in contact with Blizzard. I'd love to call them. I'd like to call them and record it (with their permission).
Here’s one

1-800-592-5499

If it doesn’t work just google Blizzard phone number
10/23/2017 02:42 PMPosted by Purple
10/23/2017 02:38 PMPosted by ZeroSymbolic

Here’s one

1-800-592-5499

If it doesn’t work just google Blizzard phone number

I'll try it after this match I'm in and see what happens.
It just rings busy and hangs up after a bit. Google results reveal that there no longer is an in-bound customer support number. Too much volume and wait time so they've done away with it.
Try their main number then
10/23/2017 03:01 PMPosted by Purple
Try their main number then

THey do not have one. They got rid of their inbound lines.
As i understand it, silence bans don't have anything to do with the type of report, just the number. If someone was reported X number of times for griefing, they still get a silence. It's the first few phases of automated bans and isn't really affected by the report type.
10/23/2017 03:18 PMPosted by AnActualFrog
As i understand it, silence bans don't have anything to do with the type of report, just the number. If someone was reported X number of times for griefing, they still get a silence. It's the first few phases of automated bans and isn't really affected by the report type.

OK, I'm not abusive in chat, I do not throw games, I do not spam. I am as good of a teammate as I can possibly be without using a microphone, and I do not use hacks of any kind. Hmmm...