Console Report System is Broken. This is my story.

General Discussion
Prev 1 21 22 23 26 Next
10/24/2017 03:56 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
Hi, there!

When a player reports someone else for Abusive Chat, we do in fact check to make sure that the reported player used either voice or text chat.

Looking at the logs of all reports, you've received quite a number of unique reports for Abusive Chat since you were last silenced. For all these reports you were noted as having used chat. There are also quite a few games where you didn't use chat, and you instead got reported in those for Poor Teamwork or Griefing.

Based on the player comments accompanying the various reports, it seems even without a microphone you've been spamming voice lines, throwing, not helping, exhibiting poor sportsmanship, killing yourself, etc.

If you're trying to avoid speaking negatively towards your teammates, I'd double check your microphone settings once more, and make sure its not setup to activate when you speak. Even if you don't have a headset on your head, if you yell loud enough your microphone could pick up your voice while its on your desk, or something similar.

I can explain you how abuse of the report system in case you dont know...

I can make 20 profiles in my ps4/xbox and report a person in that 20 profiles non stop, if i do this during 3 days i will get banned that person OVER and OVER

In console you should limit the amount of reports a console can do like 3 per day. I repeat "Console" not profile
10/24/2017 04:59 PMPosted by Scott Mercer
I'm going to copy this from the Report Player form in the game.

Abusive Chat is:
Any form of hateful, discriminatory, obscene, or disruptive communications. Threatening or harassing another player on either team is also unacceptable, regardless of the words used.

So YES, if you spam character voice lines in a way that is either disruptive or would be considered harassment, then you could be actioned.

Remove Ahoga then from Genji?
So Genji spamming "I need healing."
That's harassment, towards us healers...

Abusive Chat is:
Any form of hateful, discriminatory, obscene, or disruptive communications. Threatening or harassing another player on either team is also unacceptable, regardless of the words used.

So YES, if you spam character voice lines in a way that is either disruptive or would be considered harassment, then you could be actioned.

"Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry"
/Mei

If you don't like the voice lines being used or their frequency, it's on YOU as a developer to either remove them or reduce the frequency that specific voicelines can be used.

YOUR team put this in the game. Don't ban people for using your content. As Hank Hill says, "Dirty Pool Mister, Dirty Pool" (I hope Mike Judge doesn't BAN me from enjoying his content).
10/25/2017 08:24 AMPosted by SoLIDSnAKE
Hi, there!

When a player reports someone else for Abusive Chat, we do in fact check to make sure that the reported player used either voice or text chat.

Looking at the logs of all reports, you've received quite a number of unique reports for Abusive Chat since you were last silenced. For all these reports you were noted as having used chat. There are also quite a few games where you didn't use chat, and you instead got reported in those for Poor Teamwork or Griefing.

Based on the player comments accompanying the various reports, it seems even without a microphone you've been spamming voice lines, throwing, not helping, exhibiting poor sportsmanship, killing yourself, etc.

If you're trying to avoid speaking negatively towards your teammates, I'd double check your microphone settings once more, and make sure its not setup to activate when you speak. Even if you don't have a headset on your head, if you yell loud enough your microphone could pick up your voice while its on your desk, or something similar.

I can make 20 profiles in my ps4/xbox and report a person in that 20 profiles non stop, if i do this during 3 days i will get banned that person OVER and OVER

In console you should limit the amount of reports a console can do like 3 per day. I repeat "Console" not profile

This is a very good point as on PS4 you do not need another game license to set up a smurf... You can have as many of those as you have PSn accounts, and all you need for that is a valid email address. The OW license is tied to the PSN acct, but any other account on that console can play Overwatch and make reports... So a motivated individual can very easily set up dozens of smurf accounts without having to buy additional Overwatch licenses on PS4 and mass report someone from multiple accts. That would be the ultimate form of harassment if you ask me...
People are Godwinning the hell out of this thread.

I feel like you guys are dancing around the issue, as if to protect broken logic. You're annoying a critical fact: the distance to hear the voice lines is much different for enemies and players in Overwatch.

• If you do a voice line and the enemy team is too far away, they don't hear it.
  • If you do one chances are your team will hear you, due to the in-universe "comms" system. You'll hear the voice sound a little crackly, as if it's coming across an intercom.
  • If you request healing, say "move the payload", etc your teammates WILL hear you.

So if you're spamming voice lines, chances are it's to annoy YOUR team, not the enemy. It's not a "taunt". Taunts are to throw off the other team. You're deliberately trolling.

As for "you gave us this 'tool' and now you're upset we use it", they also gave us voice chat. Doesn't mean you won't get banned for being a jerk.

How about, instead of bending and contorting yourselves to make this request seem like the be-all and end-all of Overwatch, you simply stop being jerks? At least until we can mute you?
Hi, there!

Uhhh you could do that, someone COULD do that. but half of those reports wouldn't be verifiable. There would be 19 profiles that didn't play with Player X and would be seen as "spam reports" Assuming they see logs from games of the player which they do, they'd see a bunch of troll accounts with possibly 0 overwatch playtime.

Also assuming that a dozen ppl have 5+ accounts (rare) and then went through the effort to multi report (even more rare) thats alot of assumptions there.

To clarify I'M SURE THERE ARE .00001% OF PLAYERS THAT DO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. But to do it is EXTREMELY RARE AND THERE ARE VERIFIABLE WAYS TO TELL THAT THOSE ARE TROLL REPORTS.

Abusive Chat is:

When i'm with Reinhardt and I see an enemy alone with low health or an enemy that I usually easily kill, I say his "what do we have here?", and if someone flees from me like dva flying away or soldier starting running, I say "are you afraid to fight me?".
When i'm about to kill someone or I ult and several enemies are caught in it I say "smashing", and if that multikill is successful, I say "one hundred percent german power".

Should I be actioned? I mean aren't voice lines supposed to be used? Or is it only some filler to make it harder to get good items on lootboxes?

I can understand if it's a harassment from voice chat, but getting offended from character voice lines? How soft are these overwatch players, will they get offended by being killed next? Just remove the character voice lines then if it's such a huge problem and source of harassment, one less problem to worry about
10/25/2017 08:40 AMPosted by Arx

Uhhh you could do that, someone COULD do that. but half of those reports wouldn't be verifiable. There would be 19 profiles that didn't play with Player X and would be seen as "spam reports" Assuming they see logs from games of the player which they do, they'd see a bunch of troll accounts with possibly 0 overwatch playtime.

Also assuming that a dozen ppl have 5+ accounts (rare) and then went through the effort to multi report (even more rare) thats alot of assumptions there.

To clarify I'M SURE THERE ARE .00001% OF PLAYERS THAT DO WHAT YOU'RE SAYING. But to do it is EXTREMELY RARE AND THERE ARE VERIFIABLE WAYS TO TELL THAT THOSE ARE TROLL REPORTS.

Is there a punishment system in place for those verifiably false or troll reports?

because there should be... but no one seems to know if there is...
10/25/2017 08:37 AMPosted by Hornwood

I feel like you guys are dancing around the issue, as if to protect broken logic. You're annoying a critical fact: the distance to hear the emotes is much different for enemies and players in Overwatch.

• If you do a taunt and the enemy team is too far away, they don't hear it.
  • If you do one chances are your team will hear you, due to the in-universe "comms" system. You'll hear the voice sound a little crackly, as if it's coming across an intercom.
  • If you request healing, say "move the payload", etc your teammates WILL hear you.

So if you're spamming emotes, chances are it's to annoy YOUR team, not the enemy. It's not a "taunt". Taunts are to throw off the other team. You're deliberately trolling.

As for "you gave us this 'tool' and now you're upset we use it", they also gave us voice chat. Doesn't mean you won't get banned for being a jerk.

How about, instead of bending and contorting yourselves to make this request seem like the be-all and end-all of Overwatch, you simply stop being jerks? At least until you can mute emotes?

Emotes aren't meant to be taunts. Also, we're discussing voicelines and not emotes. <3
10/25/2017 08:43 AMPosted by Nosttromo

Abusive Chat is:

When i'm with Reinhardt and I see an enemy alone with low health or an enemy that I usually easily kill, I say his "what do we have here?", and if someone flees from me like dva flying away or soldier starting running, I say "are you afraid to fight me?".
When i'm about to kill someone or I ult and several enemies are caught in it I say "smashing", and if that multikill is successful, I say "one hundred percent german power".

Should I be actioned? I mean aren't voice lines supposed to be used? Or is it only some filler to make it harder to get good items on lootboxes?

I can understand if it's a harassment from voice chat, but getting offended from character voice lines? How soft are these overwatch players, will they get offended by being killed next? Just remove the character voice lines then if it's such a huge problem and source of harassment, one less problem to worry about

But that's not a spam... You won't be actioned.... You've clearly never been in a game where your Mei keeps spamming the sorry sorry line throughout the whole damn COMPETITIVE match, or Symmetra, or Genji, it's extremely annoying. I'm not talking someone using voice lines like you explained, I'm talking constantly repeating the same line over and over again for your whole time to hear for 10 minutes straight. It's ridiculous.
This is why I will never believe someone when they start crying about "fake reports" and "unjust bans" because almost ALWAYS either the developer or some other source comes out of the woodwork with verifiable proof these people suck.
10/25/2017 08:27 AMPosted by Āçëşǭ
So Genji spamming "I need healing."
That's harassment, towards us healers...

That's why I always have done since we got reporting on console. They think its cute to spam so I report. It's annoying. Then they turned it into meme. I can't stand people that spam ""I need healing" when I'm doing my best solo healing because everyone HAS to be dps.

I'm glad action is taken against them, it needs to end.
When they say "voicelines" are they talking about the lines that you equip for the character or the ones that already come with all characters hence "Hello, I need healing, Thanks" etc. or is it both?
10/25/2017 08:45 AMPosted by Supernova
10/25/2017 08:40 AMPosted by Arx

Is there a punishment system in place for those verifiably false or troll reports?

because there should be... but no one seems to know if there is...

Is there 1? idk

Should there be 1? Yea

Is there a point to it? If they are alt/troll accounts then there's no point because there's no punishment they can give that would actually "punish the account" Perma banning online for it? Pretty harsh. If they are from accounts with alot of hours in the game then yea they should be actioned.
If you spam to the point where you are being annoying to your team and they are actually willing to report you for it it’s so bad (which usually takes a lot) you deserve to be punished accordingly.

This seriously isn’t surprising, nor is it a major issue. This sort of reaction just shows why the devs distance themselves from the forum, literally anything they say is blown out of proportion and twisted into words that were never meant.
10/25/2017 08:49 AMPosted by kissiebear
This is why I will never believe someone when they start crying about "fake reports" and "unjust bans" because almost ALWAYS either the developer or some other source comes out of the woodwork with verifiable proof these people suck.

404 verifiable proof not found

Blizzard doesn't provide their proof due to privacy issues and after the lies I've been told by their PR team over the past 20 years, I don't hold much weight to their statements than the people that actually pay money to them.
10/25/2017 08:47 AMPosted by Weather
10/25/2017 08:37 AMPosted by Hornwood

I feel like you guys are dancing around the issue, as if to protect broken logic. You're annoying a critical fact: the distance to hear the emotes is much different for enemies and players in Overwatch.

• If you do a taunt and the enemy team is too far away, they don't hear it.

So if you're spamming emotes, chances are it's to annoy YOUR team, not the enemy. It's not a "taunt". Taunts are to throw off the other team. You're deliberately trolling.

How about, instead of bending and contorting yourselves to make this request seem like the be-all and end-all of Overwatch, you simply stop being jerks? At least until you can mute emotes?

Emotes aren't meant to be taunts. Also, we're discussing voicelines and not emotes. <3

I meant voicelines. Don't twist my entire post on one word.
Hi, there!

I love it when bliz brings the smack down on people. Honestly you guys should do more of this stuff.

Abusive Chat is:

What the !@#$? Give people an option to turn voice lines off.

You don't want people spamming for a healer? Give use a controlled queue with forced role compositions. So, you don't enter a game without someone queuing up as a support.

You don't want people spamming "I'm alive" while an enemy team fails to kill them? Then don't make it a hilarious thing to do. Jesus Christ blizzard what kind of half-baked threat is this?