Moira lines in Gaelic

General Discussion
Not only is the actress who plays Moira Irish (and a Dubliner to boot), she is also the same actress who played Mon Mothma in some of the recent Star Wars movies!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genevieve_O%27Reilly
11/06/2017 02:48 AMPosted by Edsoulman
Most Irish people don’t speak a word of Gaelic.

one time I googled if Gaelic is a dead language and it said that it mostly is, but people are starting to pick it back up
As an irish teenager I can put an end to the speculation - Irish is spoken in school but it is treated like any other language subject - most people know a word or two but the majority certainly aren't fluent. I doubt it would be too hard for her VA to pronounce Irish lines in any case.
11/06/2017 02:46 AMPosted by MetalDragoon
We better get some, so far every hero (except Reinhardt maybe) has a line in their native language. It’d be really cool to hear Gaelic (or just Irish) being spoken in a game like Overwatch

Torbjörn doesn't have any Swedish voice lines because his voice actor isn't Swedish. (And just as a side note, Swedish isn't even a language option for Overwatch or any Blizzard game). Hanzo only has one Japanese voice line, which is his ult. And his voice actor is American. Symmetra's voice actor is American. Pharah's voice actor is American. So yeah, there are several characters who don't have voice lines in their native languages because their voice actors aren't from those countries.
11/07/2017 06:09 PMPosted by Sunryser
11/06/2017 02:46 AMPosted by MetalDragoon
We better get some, so far every hero (except Reinhardt maybe) has a line in their native language. It’d be really cool to hear Gaelic (or just Irish) being spoken in a game like Overwatch

Torbjörn doesn't have any Swedish voice lines because his voice actor isn't Swedish. (And just as a side note, Swedish isn't even a language option for Overwatch or any Blizzard game). Hanzo only has one Japanese voice line, which is his ult. And his voice actor is American. Symmetra's voice actor is American. Pharah's voice actor is American. So yeah, there are several characters who don't have voice lines in their native languages because their voice actors aren't from those countries.
They recently updated Sym with some voice lines in game being in her native language.

To be fair also, just because someone is American doesn't mean they don't know anything outside of English. Regardless in if they come from that nationality or not.
11/07/2017 09:00 AMPosted by JakuNonon
She has several lines in Gaelic

True!
what is her ult in Gaelic, I can't google it because I don't speak it lol

Also JEFF!
11/08/2017 08:59 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan

True!

Go raibh maith agat, Jeff
I guess jeff is on break, he has some extra time ot talk with us
11/08/2017 09:01 AMPosted by Kryptsm
what is her ult in Gaelic, I can't google it because I don't speak it lol

Also JEFF!
It's "Géill do mo thoil" when an enemy Moira ults.

A-hah! Every single Irish person, male, female or otherwise I have known throughout my life as an Irishman knows ''An bhfuil cead agam dul go dtí an leithras.''

Yes, Irish isn't spoken by the major populace of Ireland but learning the language in school is mandatory whether or not you continue it afterwards.

I am immensely proud of the people who can speak my national language and it is quite refreshing to hear it in a game that I enjoy playing.

I broke my vow of eternal silence to post this message but it was all worth it, keep up the good work Jeff and your team!
I don’t care if necro-ing isn’t allowed, I missed a post from Jeff on my own thread?! HOW?!
Ok Moira will have some voice lines in Irish but what about Zarya? Why she has such terrible accent? I'm Russian and I play OW in English and when Zarya uses her ultymate (Ogon' po gotovnosti) and some other phrases it sounds like voice actor doesn't speak Russian at all or very little :)
11/07/2017 09:01 AMPosted by Essedus

This, unfortunately. It is nigh a dead language, and its extremely difficult to find people who can even read it let alone speak it.

If I'm not mistaken some of the only people who know it are people who have gone out of their way to study it.

I’m American, but my gf is Irish and teaches in an Irish-speaking school (of course I don’t remember what they’re called, sorry!), and she is extremely excited to have an Irish hero who speaks Irish. She’s very passionate about reviving the language and has said that perhaps in Overwatch’s universe they’ve been successful and it’s more commonly spoken.
11/16/2017 04:11 AMPosted by Falkorn
Ok Moira will have some voice lines in Irish but what about Zarya? Why she has such terrible accent? I'm Russian and I play OW in English and when Zarya uses her ultymate (Ogon' po gotovnosti) and some other phrases it sounds like voice actor doesn't speak Russian at all or very little :)
Her voice actor is Dolya Gavanski, shes from Bulgaria so it’s not fully Russian
11/08/2017 07:33 PMPosted by Raggun

Yes, Irish isn't spoken by the major populace of Ireland but learning the language in school is mandatory whether or not you continue it afterwards.

that kinda makes me sad o.o
This was one of the most relevant interventions of Jeff ever ! :D

True!

This kind of response while ignoring all the other stuff is the reason why the community is so toxic and people stop playing.
11/16/2017 05:02 AMPosted by Deatheye

True!

This kind of response while ignoring all the other stuff is the reason why the community is so toxic and people stop playing.
You’re the reason why the Devs don’t talk here often. Just when they’re trying to take a break and enjoy themselves people like you come along