Monitor comparison, help me choose pg279q vs pg278qr

General Discussion
I'm upgrading my whole system soon with a 1080ti, I7 8700k

I'm having a little trouble deciding between 2 monitors. Both are asus 1440p, 165hz with gsync:
Pg279q vs pg278qr

They are both pretty expensive, the 9q is an IPS, and the 8qr is a TN panel.

Anyone with either of these have any opinions/regrets?
bump
IPS is a vast improvement in picture quality over TN. If you have the choice, always go for IPS or better
TN has better response time. IPS has better colors. What's more important to you?
11/11/2017 10:08 PMPosted by Rawwberry
TN has better response time. IPS has better colors. What's more important to you?

Im currently on the vg248qe, which is I believe a TN panel. Are the differences response times noticable where itll affect my performance? I've never gamed on an IPS before.
Dude, hold your horses. On everything. 240hz 1440 monitors will be produced in quarter two of next year. At the same time the next generation of Nvidia cards will be released. Don't spend so much money like half a year away from serious upgrades over what you're aiming for right now. That dishonest Nvidia CEO chump who doesn't cool overpriced Titans properly might be the only person who'd encourage you to do something like this with full knowledge.

240hz > 165hz, IPS vs TN notwithstanding. You'll get an xx80 graphics card at the same price as the 1080 ti that will be significantly better.

As far as I've "learned" the response time accounts for not seeing trails in motion. It refers to how quickly pixels change color. IPS is slower. All of my monitors have been TN so I don't know how good the IPS picture might be in comparison, nor do I know what difference there actually is in trails and artifacts or whatever the stuff is called. Pretty satisfied with my 240hz Acer monitor though, and I have the Asus pg278qr. Just be patient and wait for the 1440 240hz monitors, which will be TN I'd presume because IPS starts being too much of an issue at such refresh rates.
How much is a 240hz 2560x1440 monitor going to cost? $3,000+?
11/11/2017 10:30 PMPosted by Krine
How much is a 240hz 2560x1440 monitor going to cost? $3,000+?
It will cost one soul. Reaper will be the only authorized retailer.
11/11/2017 10:27 PMPosted by JeanFrancois
Dude, hold your horses. On everything. 240hz 1440 monitors will be produced in quarter two of next year. At the same time the next generation of Nvidia cards will be released. Don't spend so much money like half a year away from serious upgrades over what you're aiming for right now. That dishonest Nvidia CEO chump who doesn't cool overpriced Titans properly might be the only person who'd encourage you to do something like this with full knowledge.

240hz > 165hz, IPS vs TN notwithstanding. You'll get an xx80 graphics card at the same price as the 1080 ti that will be significantly better.

As far as I've "learned" the response time accounts for not seeing trails in motion. It refers to how quickly pixels change color. IPS is slower. All of my monitors have been TN so I don't know how good the IPS picture might be in comparison, nor do I know what difference there actually is in trails and artifacts or whatever the stuff is called. Pretty satisfied with my 240hz Acer monitor though, and I have the Asus pg278qr. Just be patient and wait for the 1440 240hz monitors, which will be TN I'd presume because IPS starts being too much of an issue at such refresh rates.

Ugh you guys are killing me, Ive spent like a year or 2 researching my build @~@.

I might not have a choice, the plan was to give my current rig to my little brother. Unno if I can wait that long without a pc. Im assuming the cost of a 240hz 1440p would be astronomical, but the new Nvidia series is tempting
11/11/2017 10:12 PMPosted by MoonFrost
11/11/2017 10:08 PMPosted by Rawwberry

Im currently on the vg248qe, which is I believe a TN panel. Are the differences response times noticable where itll affect my performance? I've never gamed on an IPS before.
Your current monitor is 1ms gray to gray and so it the TN monitor. The IPS monitor is 4ms. Like one of the posts above mentioned, it has to do with ghosting.
I'd guess $800, no more than $1000. Whoever downvoted my post, check what the 279q goes for, smartass. Norms will rise, and while prices might too I think that's an ignorant extrapolation.

I've heard that the Acer 4k IPS 144hz monitor will go for $2k with like a useless feature in there, heard nothing about the Asus. Then ultrawide (VA or something panel) 200hz 1440 monitors will come out and I'm inclined to think they won't be as expensive although I'd assume $1.5k. The monitors I'm referring to will come at 1440 without ultrawide and will be TN just as correspondingly good cards come out. Imo these monitors won't be an extravagant gem, they'll be more of a norm shift, still on the higher end but not on the extreme. The panels made for next year from what I read are not 144hz at 1920x1080, i.e. technology is advancing and stuff is getting superseded and in a way replaced. Thus prices won't just move linearly. Look at processors and graphics cards for how prices can be rather static despite substantial improvements.

Even $300 over a 165hz IPS monitor will be worth for a 240hz TN monitor that will actually come with even faster response times in comparison to current TN monitors, better brightness and picture too. This dude is already willing to spend serious money. In my opinion waiting will serve him much better.

11/11/2017 10:32 PMPosted by MoonFrost
Ugh you guys are killing me, Ive spent like a year or 2 researching my build @~@.

I might not have a choice, the plan was to give my current rig to my little brother. Unno if I can wait that long without a pc. Im assuming the cost of a 240hz 1440p would be astronomical, but the new Nvidia series is tempting

My bet is you'll want to kill yourself in 8 months. Go ahead with your plan and let's revisit this thread. By the way, what the hell were you researching for two years? This isn't degree stuff, dude. You can be a pretty simple but good consumer. If you had made such purchases earlier they would've made a lot more sense.
11/11/2017 10:42 PMPosted by JeanFrancois
11/11/2017 10:32 PMPosted by MoonFrost

My bet is you'll want to kill yourself in 8 months. Go ahead with your plan and let's revisit this thread. By the way, what the hell were you researching for two years? This isn't degree stuff, dude. You can be a pretty simple but good consumer.

Most of the research was towards the watercooling aspect. (Ill be creating this into my first custom loop), so i wanted everything down to near perfection with no regrets, since I plan to have this for quite some time. While my budget kept going higher and higher, I want to get it right the first time since I am willing to spend so much. During the time of watching hundreds of videos I was making a part list.

It started with the 6700k, wasnt serious at the time, was still in the bulk of researching watercooling. Then I started getting more serious when the i7 7700k was annouced, and was looking at what case to get, had a lot of stuff figured out, then a few months later the Corsair 570x (the case ill be using)came out and knew that was the one I wanted. Then during that time of putting another compatible part list the 8700k was announced, so Ive waiting until now to upgrade to that from a 2600k.

Sometime during all that I kept going back and forth between watercooling my motherboard or not. Which had me go back and forth between asus formula or Msi M7. Which in turn changed my graphics card choices because I wanted uniformity. (plus i like to work with what I know, I have a msi motherboard and 970 now), but I finally chose the Asus Formula X and 1080ti 011G in the end.

Atm im waiting on the Asus Formula X motherboard to be released this month, and I was planning on finally starting the build once it hits the store. But now there's all this new stuff coming out.

I can never catch up ._.

Until recently I was justn planning on continuing to use my current 144hz 1080p monitor. Then I realised how idiotic that would be with 8700k and 1080ti. Like running a supercharged engine inside a VW Beetle. So now im monitor researching. Figured i'd go with a bigger screen, and 1440p with high refresh.
Why would he want to kill himself in 8 months? Because a new gen of GPUs will be out? Lol.. in that case anyone who's ever bought any PC hardware may as well kill themselves.

New tech is coming in all the time. There's no point in perpetually delaying your purchase for that reason. Obviously if something is really right around the corner, you should wait. But 8 months? That's more than enough time to not regret anything.

Let's say he waited and then bought the GTX 1180. Well, a few months later he would want to "kill himself" because the 1180Ti would be out. If he bought that instead, he would kill himself when the 1280 was released.

Just buy the system and don't concern yourself with what you might be missing out on who knows how long from now.

Also, OP, you should get the Pg279q. It has incredible response times for an IPS monitor.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_rog_swift_pg279q.htm

Check out this review and have a look at the "average lag chart" at the bottom.

Enjoy your purchase!
You don't need custom liquid cooling loops unless you're doing SLI. That's basically a waste of $500. Your computer components don't need to be at your body temperature. I have a 7700k overclocked to 5ghz with an H115i CPU cooler and a 1080 strix that doesn't hit 70 degrees even at 1440 and the pg278qr. My case is like an $80 full tower with 5 fans. What are you reading, dude?

11/11/2017 10:55 PMPosted by putka
Why would he want to kill himself in 8 months? Because a new gen of GPUs will be out? Lol.. in that case anyone who's ever bought any PC hardware may as well kill themselves.

New tech is coming in all the time. There's no point in perpetually delaying your purchase for that reason.

A generation of Nvidia gpus lasts roughly two years. The next gen cards seem likely to come in 6 months. Don't be dense. I think the TI follows by around a year within the same generation, and is less of an improvement.
11/11/2017 10:59 PMPosted by JeanFrancois
You don't need custom liquid cooling loops unless you're doing SLI. That's basically a waste of $500. Your computer components don't need to be at your body temperature. I have a 7700k overclocked to 5ghz with an H115i CPU cooler and a 1080 strix that doesn't hit 70 degrees even at 1440 and the pg278qr. My case is like an $80 full tower with 5 fans. What are you reading, dude?

Oh im well aware that I absolutely don't need to watercool. It's just something I've always wanted to do because I think they look amazing with hard line tubes.

Edit: plus Id like a quieter system. My fans sound like a wind turbine with an overclocked 970 in my case.

This is what my build will end up looking like almost, Im going to change a few runs, and my theme will be blue. But pretty much the same minus the SLI: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/zCDuudGRJ7A/maxresdefault.jpg
If you're willing to spend $500 just for how your computer looks I don't think you can make a wrong decision here.
Thanks for all the input guys ^^
By the way, if you buy the 279q I'd be curious to hear whether you notice motion trails/artifacts/ghosting whatever.
As far as GPUs go, there isn't much of a performance improvement if the new generation uses the same architecture. All signs point to the next generation of Nvidia cards using the same architecture as the 10 series. If you're planning on the 1080Ti, it will last awhile.
11/11/2017 11:24 PMPosted by JeanFrancois
By the way, if you buy the 279q I'd be curious to hear whether you notice motion trails/artifacts/ghosting whatever.

Will do, Depending on when the Formula X finally comes out I should start building sometime mid December. (kinda hoping there will be some cyber monday sales, but not holding my breath)