Can we acknowledge 100% ult loss across the board is bad?

General Discussion
1 2 3 12 Next
Highly Rated
TL;DR:
This change should NOT have been universal. Every ult is unique and uniquely designed. Why then, should every ult be treated exactly the same? This hampers a lot of ults because they were designed without 100% ult drop off in mind.

Each ult charge loss should be different depending on the ult. One size fixes all is not the answer.

I'm seeing a lot of things from practically any projectile-based ult hero. Tracer, Mei, Zarya, etc.

I cannot speak 100% for these heroes, because while I have played them, they simply aren't what I play. At least not often.

What I can say is from a Lucio main's POV it's terrible.

Here's the thing, with a Lucio ult, you HAVE to drop it in the middle of a fight. It is designed to only work with people near you, it's practically useless to use unless everyone is about to die and you don't think your heals are good enough anymore.

I have seen people who don't play Lucio say "well learn to position better. Others have to."

Well that's my point. Lucio was NOT designed with this intended, and his ult was designed to be used in the heat of a fight. There is zero luxury or time to position yourself in the massive cluster that happens that results in his ult.

So why then, should he lose 100% of his ult when he has a long cast and has to use it in the middle of his fight?

I'm all for losing a chunk of ult charge for a failed ult. But this hampers Lucio and only strengthens the need for Mercys. Especially when you take into account how much slower Lucio's ult charge is in regards to Mercy.

In short: too many characters were designed with ults that just don't make sense to 100% lose all ult charge. This was a BAD decision that really hampers a great deal of ults and characters while strengthening a lot of others.

This change should NOT have been universal. Every ult is unique and uniquely designed. Why then, should every ult be treated exactly the same?
Highly Rated
Yeah, not a fan either.
Doomfist is the only one that can't lose his ult charge if he gets killed. I mean I pressed triangle and died and I see is Doomfist glowing blue. Once I respawn I still have my ult charge
Highly Rated
I really like "use your ult lose your ult", but some of the results of the change seem.... weird. In the case of Mei and Tracer they have a projectile.... you see them trow it... it's out there.... but it just poofs if they die or even get stunned. Its preposterous.

Then there is Dva, who is using call mech which is technically an ult but it isn't really her ult... its a vital part of her kit... but oops flash bang... all your charge is gone and you have to start over. No mech for you!

Just weird stuff like this doesn't make sense. I wish the changes had been a little more thought out.
Highly Rated
As Lucio it honestly infuriates me. Ult charge gone and no barrier or anything. Poof, 100% WASTED ON LITERALLY NOTHING.

He's one of the few heros I feel that this has NO place on.
“ Dòng zhù, bùxǔ zǒ-aghhh”
With mei, it's even worse is that Genji can deflect it AFTER it hits the ground and is rising to activate
At first I thought it was fine just because, you know, to be fair to everyone, but tracer/mei/hanzo/lucio/rein losing their ult charge when it's clearly gone off is BS
Highly Rated
I think it caused way more problems than it solved, people only wanted Genji and Soldier 76 to not have 100% of their ult after they get killed casting it and then that somehow gets translated to "let's nerf everybody except for Genji and Soldier 76". Really annoying to me especially when I play Mei and lose my ult after I throw it.
Highly Rated
lucio and mei really got the short end of the stick given that the wind-up for their ults is so slow!

and like someone mentioned before, dva losing all her ult charge cuz she gets CC'd mid-cast of her call mech
11/12/2017 08:31 PMPosted by rosalina
lucio and mei really got the short end of the stick given that the wind-up for their ults is so slow!

and like someone mentioned before, dva losing all her ult charge cuz she gets CC'd mid-cast of her call mech

Exactly!

This change just completely ignores that many ults were built with the intention of having wiggle room, and this change really just ruins how they are supposed to work.

So you end up with this weirdness where they still work as if you could have some of your ult, but you just lose it.
It's actually happened a ton to me as ana as well, a shoot the nano and die and my teammate never gets it and the nano disappears. Not as common as lucios but still a problem
Highly Rated
The only reason this ult nerf was needed was so Genjis and Soldiers couldn't panic ult and die, run back, ult, and wipe the enemy team
Soldier is taken care of but Blizzard specifically tweaked Genji's ult so it wouldn't be as harshly effected.
"There is no favoritism in Overwatch!"
11/12/2017 08:37 PMPosted by SteamPunk
The only reason this ult nerf was needed was so Genjis and Soldiers couldn't panic ult and die, run back, ult, and wipe the enemy team
Soldier is taken care of but Blizzard specifically tweaked Genji's ult so it wouldn't be as harshly effected.
"There is no favoritism in Overwatch!"

That's the biggest point of confusion for me.

What was so wrong with simply changing a few ults that would work better with this system? This just flat out doesn't work for all characters. It works for some, but definitely not all.
Could not possibly agree more.
Why don't they introduce a system like in Heroes of the Storm? Your ult gets interrupted and it goes on cooldown for 8 seconds.
11/12/2017 08:25 PMPosted by NiceGenji
Doomfist is the only one that can't lose his ult charge if he gets killed. I mean I pressed triangle and died and I see is Doomfist glowing blue. Once I respawn I still have my ult charge

I think doomfist has the only ult that grants immunity on ulting. Like his ult doesnt register as used until hes untouchable
I think this change came from overwatch league so that viewers and casters could accurately describe what happened, but to the playerbase, that was like a big nerf/buff depending who you were. Like sombra loves this change, but most don't.
it's annoying, but at least it's consistent.
Yes, as a Lucio main. This change is terrible.