So I tried to watch a pro tournment today

General Discussion
...both team are using Mercy

lol that's a big nope

overwatch esports will fail so hard
Highly Rated
That's not what bothers me. I watched a bit of APAC group stages yesterday. The spectator was either following one of the two Tracers that were in every. single. game., or it was following the other dps. Once in a while it would go free cam, then quickly snap back to Tracer.

Never got to see what the tanks or supports were doing.
If the balance keep going this way then yeah the game is going right into the wall.
The spectating camera system is buns. The roster selection is buns. The UI during the tournaments is buns.
Here are the current pickrates from heroes in the esport scene of Overwatch:

OFFENSE
Tracer: 84.34%
Genji: 28.47%
Soldier: 27.21
McCree: 23.70%
Pharah: 14.58%
Doomfist: 5.43%
Sombra: 3.20%
Reaper: 1.47%

DEFENSE
Widowmaker: 13.20%
Junkrat: 1.22%
Torbjorn: 1.17%
Hanzo: 0.54%
Mei: 0.11%
Bastion: 0%

TANK
Dva: 95.55%
Winston: 83.89%
Roadhog: 11.33%
Orisa: 2.56%
Reinhardt: 2.48%
Zarya: 2.30%

SUPPORT
Mercy: 95.25%
Zenyatta: 80.19%
Lucio: 17.63%
Ana: 4.15%
Symmetra: 0%

Source:
https://www.winstonslab.com/customquery/pickrates/?private=1&dateGreater=&dateSmaller=&event%5B%5D=87&specificMatchupTeam1=0&specificMatchupTeam2=0&team%5B%5D=&map%5B%5D=&roundtype%5B%5D=

It's no surprise to me that the Esport is boring to watch.
We only get see the same team compositions fight each other.
And even then are we only seeing the POV of offense heroes.

Isn't dive suppose to be dead???
10/22/2017 06:48 AMPosted by Rain3d
That's not what bothers me. I watched a bit of APAC group stages yesterday. The spectator was either following one of the two Tracers that were in every. single. game., or it was following the other dps. Once in a while it would go free cam, then quickly snap back to Tracer.

This is for me the biggest pain point. Tracer and Genji are the most followed characters and they are also the worst PoVs for understanding what is going on.
10/22/2017 06:57 AMPosted by Detonation

Isn't dive suppose to be dead???
It never died.

The main big difference is that Lucio is no longer S-tier and that Mercy has taken over his position.
And Ana, a hero who used to be picked a lot in the pro scene, sees no play at all. Even the number 1 Ana player has switched to Zenyatta.
10/22/2017 06:38 AMPosted by SertanejoRai
...both team are using Mercy

lol that's a big nope

overwatch esports will fail so hard

sooner dumbass devs for all games figure out that you can't make an esport game, it has to come naturally, the better.
The last overwatch contenders had some different comps, it was fun to watch... but now with Mercy patch it went downhill
Who doesn't like watching the comp play that you see 99% of the time in the game when playing yourself.
10/22/2017 06:51 AMPosted by Brownondorf
If the balance keep going this way then yeah the game is going right into the wall.

So what you're saying is... We need to nerf mei! Get on it blizz.
10/22/2017 06:56 AMPosted by Bloggerman
Here are the current pickrates from heroes in the esport scene of Overwatch:

OFFENSE
Soldier: 27.21
McCree: 23.70%
Pharah: 14.58%
Doomfist: 5.43%
Sombra: 3.20%
Reaper: 1.47%

DEFENSE
Widowmaker: 13.20%
Torbjorn: 1.17%
Hanzo: 0.54%
Mei: 0.11%
Bastion: 0%

TANK
Roadhog: 11.33%
Orisa: 2.56%
Reinhardt: 2.48%
Zarya: 2.30%

SUPPORT
Mercy: 95.25%
Zenyatta: 80.19%
Lucio: 17.63%
Ana: 4.15%
Symmetra: 0%

Source:
https://www.winstonslab.com/customquery/pickrates/?private=1&dateGreater=&dateSmaller=&event%5B%5D=87&specificMatchupTeam1=0&specificMatchupTeam2=0&team%5B%5D=&map%5B%5D=&roundtype%5B%5D=

It's no surprise to me that the Esport is boring to watch.
We only get see the same team compositions fight each other.
And even then are we only seeing the POV of offense heroes.

Wow, Bastion and Symmetra aren't used at all
It is getting sort of old to see mirror comps fight for 3-4 hours at a time...those numbers posted above just solidifies the very very bland meta.
10/22/2017 06:48 AMPosted by Rain3d

Completely agree with this.

One of the most annoying things about watching pro tournaments is that if you're not watching the Tracer in first person, you're probably watching the Genji.
10/22/2017 07:17 AMPosted by Fiskerǃ
Who doesn't like watching the comp play that you see 99% of the time in the game when playing yourself.

Don't pros play on a previous patch?
I've said it before, blizzard can't get rid of metas... It the community (mostly esports and high ranked streamers) who set the meta.

The only way to get variance in tournaments is for the tourneys themselves to set a play limit for any given hero across a team.

My thoughts for overwatch were:
If a hero has 51% participation through an entire match for a given team, that team could NOT play that hero at all in the next match. That would force variance onto the most influential players at the pro levels. (Yes it means some matches would almost be throws as every player would not be on their main). But it has the same chance to make teams create really unique strategies.

It would also change up who we see in matches instead of both teams being Tracer/Gengi/Winston/D.va/Mercy/Zen in every game.... It be every other game at most....
10/22/2017 07:53 AMPosted by Permajinxed
My thoughts for overwatch were:
If a hero has 51% participation through an entire match for a given team, that team could NOT play that hero at all in the next match.

"We're definitely going to lose this match, swap over to Mei so we can still play mercy next match."

Wow ... went straight up from .0001% to 1.22% ! If that's not enough of a sign that Junkrat clearly is OP I dunno what is.
10/22/2017 07:59 AMPosted by scapegoat

Wow ... went straight up from .0001% to 1.22% ! If that's not enough of a sign that Junkrat clearly is OP I dunno what is.

JR is not OP, he has an insanely low skill floor
10/22/2017 08:00 AMPosted by Crypticarts
10/22/2017 07:59 AMPosted by scapegoat

JR is not OP, he has an insanely low skill floor
He's making a joke that, despite what some players say on this forum, Junkrat is not overpowered. Otherwise would he have a higher pickrate.

And yes, he has a low skill floor.