Advantages of the current MMR system over simple Win/Loss?

Competitive Discussion
Blizzard's MMR system is notoriously bad in Overwatch and HOTS. It seems a lot of the problems with competitive are directly caused by it; one tricks could not get to GM with a 20% win rate in a win/loss system, for example. The current system enables, even encourages this and other exploitative behaviour. Some players may have really good stats (lots of damage and kills, etc), but not in fact BE great, well rounded players. So do the pros really outweigh the cons, and if so what ARE they? I may well be missing something, because from an outside perspective is seems like players would naturally fall into their appropriate rank in a win/loss system. Perhaps some middle ground would be better, with less weight being put on stats.
Can you link that 20% win rate GM ? Seems like everyone talks about him/them without ever providing data.
11/09/2017 03:14 PMPosted by Butterland
Can you link that 20% win rate GM ? Seems like everyone talks about him/them without ever providing data.
Same actually, that's just the number that keeps getting thrown around. Although I have personally seen a mercy main with 35%, which is still far too low really.
11/09/2017 06:59 PMPosted by ErisFreya
11/09/2017 03:14 PMPosted by Butterland
Same actually, that's just the number that keeps getting thrown around. Although I have personally seen a mercy main with 35%, which is still far too low really.

With a 35% win rate they must have already been that high previous seasons.
11/09/2017 07:43 PMPosted by Cklegendia
11/09/2017 06:59 PMPosted by ErisFreya
... Same actually, that's just the number that keeps getting thrown around. Although I have personally seen a mercy main with 35%, which is still far too low really.

With a 35% win rate they must have already been that high previous seasons.

This.

35% win rate in GM is to be expected if that player has like 10 games played and started at 4600 and had a bad run down to 4300. Nobody climbs rating with less than 45% win rate.
11/09/2017 02:50 PMPosted by ErisFreya
Blizzard's MMR system is notoriously bad in Overwatch and HOTS. It seems a lot of the problems with competitive are directly caused by it; one tricks could not get to GM with a 20% win rate in a win/loss system, for example. The current system enables, even encourages this and other exploitative behaviour. Some players may have really good stats (lots of damage and kills, etc), but not in fact BE great, well rounded players. So do the pros really outweigh the cons, and if so what ARE they? I may well be missing something, because from an outside perspective is seems like players would naturally fall into their appropriate rank in a win/loss system. Perhaps some middle ground would be better, with less weight being put on stats.

You my friend, are a thinking person. Please chime in to this thread which is about the same topic:
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759237722