If You Could Balance the Game

General Discussion
What would you be doing? It doesn’t matter how good or bad they might be perceived as. Just what would you do as a developer or person in charge of balancing the game?

I would:
- Seperare PC and console balancing, as heroes that might seem fine on 1 could be a problem on the other.
- I’d buff Zenyatta’s base movement speed, and reduce his crit box.
- I’d reduce Torb’s crit box.
- I’d give Mercy back her resurrect as an ultimate, and entirely revert her changes.
- I’d reduce Junkrat’s ultimate charge and mine damage.
- I’d revert Roadhog’s hook cooldown back to 6 seconds, and increase his damage by 2% to finally secure those kills on squishy heroes.
- I’d get rid of Pharah’s permanent flight on console.
- Bastion would get a very slight buff to his defense, but not ironclad strong.
- Ana would have her damage nerf reverted, but keep the rest of her changes.
- Mei would now freeze targets faster.
- Genji’s dash would no longer reset in assisted kills or ultimate.
- Genji’s double jump would be removed.
- Zarya would have her previous charge nerf reverted.
- D.Va would lose her missiles, and go back to being a proper tank with high armor and small health.
- D.Va would have her DM reverted to how it previously was.
- Soldier 76 and McCree would have their damage falloff reduced on console, to help combat airborne targets.
- Genji’s shurikens would have falloff damage.
- Doomfist would have his RP hitbox increased, with his primary fire doing 5% more damage.

And that is how I would balance Overwatch. Then adjust as I saw fit from posts read on the forums and places like Reddit. As they are the people who are the most common players of my game, and are the meat and potatoes of the game. Not the 5% or pros. In fact, I would scrap any concept or idea of balancing around e-sports. Ultimately tossing it to the side, and getting rid of “OW League”.
glad you're not in charge of balance then wow
I can see you love Genji.
10/12/2017 05:59 PMPosted by Nippys

So how’d you balance the game? I think my balance changes would be quite successful, to be honest. In fact, I know this. I’d even go as far as to say that my changes would definitely bring back a lot of players who quit, and would restore the enjoyment of the game 10 fold.
I would:
- Stop playing.

A couple of those are ok, but most are completely idiotic. So, yah, as Nippys said..."glad you're not in charge"
I would realize that, like most of members of this forum, I am not qualified to make balance decisions. I'll leave that to the professionals.
10/12/2017 06:02 PMPosted by DrgHybrid
I would:
- Stop playing.

A couple of those are ok, but most are completely idiotic. So, yah, as Nippys said..."glad you're not in charge"

Got an example? If you mean the extreme Genji nerfs, yes. Genji’s kit is far too bloated. And thus I would bring him to where he should be in my opinion. Genji would not be as overpowered as he is now, if I were in charge of balancing. He’d be still a strong pick, but his changes would definitely be priority 1. Same with the changes I made to the crit boxes. There’s absolutely no reason for Torb and Zen’s crit boxes to be as big as they are now.
10/12/2017 06:04 PMPosted by Dabba
I would realize that, like most of members of this forum, I am not qualified to make balance decisions. I'll leave that to the professionals.

Sooooo you find the current balance changes the devs done to be good, I assume. Okay then. If that is the case, why are there so many tons upon tons of complaints? If you noticed about everything I listed, they all incorporate the same changes requested by the community day in and day out for a few months now. Yet... The post gets downvoted, and people have issues with said changes I’d make. How ironic... Even more odd, is individually these things when mentioned upon their own usually get upvoted into the skies. But upon talks of actually incorporating them all-in-one, they seem suddenly like an extremely bad idea. Lmao.
I mean, if you're so certain on your success, try applying for a job at Blizzard, surely with your knowledge about it all and your self confidence you should be able to make them hire you
10/12/2017 06:09 PMPosted by EnvoyOfPower
The post gets downvoted, and people have issues with said changes I’d make. How ironic... Even more odd, is individually these things when mentioned upon their own usually get upvoted into the skies. But upon talks of actually incorporating them all-in-one, they seem suddenly like an extremely bad idea. Lmao.
A person only has to dislike 1 thing and they'd have a valid reason to dislike it, how else would they show they disliked something/all of it? That is why listing everything is a bad idea.
10/12/2017 06:01 PMPosted by EnvoyOfPower
10/12/2017 05:59 PMPosted by Nippys

So how’d you balance the game? I think my balance changes would be quite successful, to be honest. In fact, I know this. I’d even go as far as to say that my changes would definitely bring back a lot of players who quit, and would restore the enjoyment of the game 10 fold.

Did you miss the bit where you wanted Hog to have a 1 hit KO on a 6 second CD and turn Genji into a slug with fall off damage and one of the hardest to hit primary fires?
10/12/2017 06:06 PMPosted by EnvoyOfPower
He’d be still a strong pick

Based on your suggestions and the fact you think Genji would still be a strong pick after your nerfs its pretty obvious you have never played him.

I would:

Buff ana

Buff bastion

Buff torb

Nerf mercy (basically keep her at what she is at right now on ptr, with a rez reset upon ult but still 30 second rez)

Revert lucio nerf that happened in junkenstein patch

There
Most are okay, but in my opinion I think that you sound a little bit bias to certain characters... You make many broad points that can be easily argued, and may not appeal to as many people as of before the changes. I might want to shorten the list a tiny bit if I were you...
If I was in charge of balancing?

The first thing I'd do is change the method from "gigantic changes every other month" to "small changes every fortnight" to trim excess power off heroes without resorting to dumpstering them.

Then I'd look at making the system better accommodate the rock-paper-scissors that heroes should be. IMHO, being able to play one hero without any fear of being countered shouldn't be how this game works.

For some specifics

RIP-Tyre charge cost increased SIGNIFICANTLY.
Junkrat Trap vertical hitbox increased and faster activation.
Valkyrie retuned (stronger healing, much, MUCH shorter duration).
Reinhardt Shield regeneration increased. Charge makes him immune to CC's while it's active.
Dragonblade charge cost increased.
Deflect and Dash hitbox reduced.
Torbjorn reworked to allow turret targeting.

They're some of the larger changes I feel are needed. Most of the other changes I'd feel would make the game balanced would be things like increasing Tracers clip size, but reducing her bullet damage, so she can still one-clip, you can just react to it a bit better, and things like making McCrees fall damage more linear instead of going basically 70 damage to 21 over 5 meters.
10/12/2017 06:09 PMPosted by EnvoyOfPower
Sooooo you find the current balance changes the devs done to be good, I assume. Okay then. If that is the case, why are there so many tons upon tons of complaints?

I feel like Mercy needs to be toned down a touch, I think how she is currently on PTR is good. I also think Junkrat needs to be toned down a touch as well, and Ana needs a slight buff.

Other than that I think the game is in a great place, yes.

Are you new to these forums, or game forums in general? Toxic cesspools of negativity, every one of them, all the time. People don't generally go to forums to talk about how much fun they are having, people go to forums when they feel a need to complain about something. However, as we can clearly see from your post, most people are not qualified to actually make balance changes.
Every character get's 1 ultimate per match.

Take out the RNG in this game.
10/12/2017 06:10 PMPosted by Nippys
10/12/2017 06:01 PMPosted by EnvoyOfPower

Did you miss the bit where you wanted Hog to have a 1 hit KO on a 6 second CD and turn Genji into a slug with fall off damage and one of the hardest to hit primary fires?

How’d Genji be turned into a slug? Because I never once mentioned reducing his base movement speed. I never once mentioned removing his wall climbing. I never once mentioned I’d increase the CD of his dash (simply said it couldn’t reset). Although, I should’ve mentioned decreasing his deflect size. By outside of those changes, including giving him damage falloff, he’d be the same.

I’ve had enough of these forums it seems like. People swear out Genji is overpowered, and that his kit has far too much going on with it. Yet when I mention how if I were in charge of balancing I’d take it down to bring it in line with everyone’s kit, suddenly it’s a huge problem. This confirms to me that people ARE in fact fine with Genji, and truly have no issues with his kit. Even though people will bandwagon in certain threads 24/7.

Thank you for proving a point I once wondered about to myself regarding the “hive mentality” this forum has to certain things. And knee jerk reactions to things once brought under the microscope. Definitely done with these forums for a very long time. Lmao.
10/12/2017 05:58 PMPosted by EnvoyOfPower
- I’d reduce Torb’s crit box.

- I’d give Mercy back her resurrect as an ultimate, and entirely revert her changes.

- I’d get rid of Pharah’s permanent flight on console.

- Ana would have her damage nerf reverted, but keep the rest of her changes.

- Genji’s dash would no longer reset in assisted kills

- Soldier 76 and McCree would have their damage falloff reduced on console, to help combat airborne targets.

I'm fine with these, idk about the rest...
Wow alright lol

Yeah most of the people who won't only play QM don't find Genji that huge of an issue
I would make rez so the rezzed character only receive 10per cent of his actual life, while the rest of his heath points would be temporal heath points, like the hp from winston ultimate. So, after rezzing, you need to heal that character
Youre mad about being downvoted for those ridiculous "balance" changes? And did it ever occur to you that people may actually agree with your ridiculous Genji changes, but disagree with everything else?