MA project 'Thai hero concepts design'

General Discussion
Prev 1 35 36 37 43 Next
I want to play this hero.
Purrfait, you did a good job! I'll tell you what I see from my perspective, I'm a professional digital artist for 3 years now and I went to a video game art school before like yourself.

The quality of work you produced is up to par with new industry professionals for the most part. You got a good eye for understanding design, you managed to capture the same vibes we generally see in Overwatch concept art.

Your silhouette and color palette work was great, a lot of creative options were available there and that's essential in the field of concept art. You also integrated your culture into the character which was a wonderful addition! That is a fundamental aspect of Overwatch's character development.

Character and clothing design are your strong points I think. You were lacking some bits of detailing on the outfit. Overwatch may appear simple but the outfits have a great deal of detailing but it's just the right amount.

There are places you can improve, I hope I can provide good feedback for you and you continue to improve.

1. Mechanical drawing
You can focus on developing your mechanical design skills, though your idea for the gun is good, you can still work on the overall drawing skills to illustrate shapes a bit better. Overwatch weapons have really prominent shapes, I felt like your gun could use a stronger shape language.

2. Environment art
I know being a character artist is fun, and environments always feel daunting. Right now your environment art communicates the idea, which is great for concept art, but if you look to illustrate you gotta work on the lighting/mood and materials a bit better. You have a good start and strong base to work on with what I've seen so far :) It'll take time but the more you do the better you'll get at it. Last thing I think would be cool for you to try is design props like you did with you gun, try that for environment art and give it all your love to make the design kick !@#.

Anyway that's all I can offer, as you finish school keep tackling your weaknesses and keep working on personal projects to better yourself :) Design your own worlds and heroes that will be very valuable for you as a concept artist.

Just to prove I'm not talking bs about being a digital artist here's my work:
https://www.artstation.com/moizeopel

Have a good art journey :D
So Purrfait, i created a hero with no name, no design and no lore.
I want to know if you could design him and his abilities and create a name and lore for him like you did with Tara. You did an amazing job with her and i'd like to see my character becoming real too.
His details:
Name:
Genre: Male Omnic
Class: Defense
Weapon: Flare gun
. He has 5 bullets that cause 50 damage each, taking 0.5 second break for each shot. Headshots cause 90 damage.
Abilities
Passive: Enemies hit by his basic attacks are marked by a red ball of light. The mark indicates the location of the enemy during 5 seconds. His abilities also mark the target.
Ability 1: Launches a grenade that sticks on the target hit (players, walls or ground). After 2 seconds it explodes, causing damage and stunning everybody near it for 1.5 seconds.
Damage: If the grenade sticks on an enemy hero, causes 80 damage, if explodes near him, causes 45 damage.
Cooldown: 6 seconds.

Ability 2: For that ability, you can press or hold the button.
If you just press the button you can dash for a short distance; if you hold the button you can dash for a higher distance, leaving flames behind you, marking and burning enemies for 5 seconds.
Burn: 10 damage per second.
Cooldown: 8 seconds.

Abilities like Tracer’s Recall, Reaper’s Wraith Form, Mei’s Cryo-Freeze and Zarya’s bubbles disable the burn effect.

Ultimate: Makes all the marks warm up. After 3 seconds all the marks explodes, causing 150 damage. This ability is universal, so doesn’t matter if the target is not on his range, if the enemy is marked he will be damaged.
09/23/2017 09:23 AMPosted by Killigraphy
09/23/2017 07:23 AMPosted by Urso

There's always going to be that one envious monster that shows his ugly head.

On the other hand, the 2k+ upvotes believes this IS "studio material".

Zealots will be zealots, in a couple of months, this won't even matter, but I'll be sure to keep your quote handy.

My quote that people like this despite what you are saying? Okay. Go for it. Whether Blizzard picks this up or not will not change that fact.
This is really, really good.
My only gripes are her silhouette looks quite similar to Symmatra's silhouette (although this might not be too much of an issue if she has a different silhouette when moving) and the only part of her kit you've described in detail is her bubble ability (which I really like) and healing drone.
Everything else looks great, the colours blend, her costume looks good and her alternate skins are really visually appealing (that Succubus skin rivals Mercy's Witch skin in terms of how nice it is to look at).
I think your next step is thinking up what her kit is going to do and what role she's going to fulfil as a support, the idea of her physically displacing enemy players is a really cool concept and should be expanded upon.

(Offer him a job Jeff this is an excellent concept piece).
09/23/2017 09:23 AMPosted by Killigraphy
09/23/2017 07:23 AMPosted by Urso

There's always going to be that one envious monster that shows his ugly head.

On the other hand, the 2k+ upvotes believes this IS "studio material".

Zealots will be zealots, in a couple of months, this won't even matter, but I'll be sure to keep your quote handy.

Mate have a bit of courtesy. You're allowed to critique, but that's an direct insult. You should be ashamed of yourself.
I think it would be awesome if Blizzard not only accepted the hero to be official, but also started an yearly contest where they ask the Overwatch community to design a hero: appearance, info, backstory, abilities... Pretty much like Ronimo did in Awesomenauts with the characters Admiral Swiggins and Ix the Interloper.

The winner, along with having their hero accepted, would be also allowed to help in its development (model, textures, animations, voice lines, WHO will voice it, etc.) so Blizzard doesn't changes much of the original concept the author thought of, if they wish.

And when the hero gets released, its creator would - as gift - get all the skins plus any upcoming skins for free, along with a unique portrait, and maybe their battle-tag written somewhere in the hero description.
09/23/2017 03:56 AMPosted by Killigraphy
Yes she's talented, but lets use some rational here...any art student who knows how to use photoshop and everything else can do this. Some have already (check the reddit). And yes I know the downvotes are coming due to sycophants being what they are, but realistically, everyone is getting hyped for something that A. Isn't going to happen (Blizz isn't picking someone up due to a mock up) B. Isn't that impressive compared to the thousands of people with costume designs.

That's like saying that one bum you know who can sing should be picked up by a record label. Everyone knows someone who can sing, that doesn't mean they're studio material.

She looks better than d.va i would drop her right away for this one
09/23/2017 10:15 AMPosted by Blueman
Purrfait, you did a good job! I'll tell you what I see from my perspective, I'm a professional digital artist for 3 years now and I went to a video game art school before like yourself.

The quality of work you produced is up to par with new industry professionals for the most part. You got a good eye for understanding design, you managed to capture the same vibes we generally see in Overwatch concept art.

Your silhouette and color palette work was great, a lot of creative options were available there and that's essential in the field of concept art. You also integrated your culture into the character which was a wonderful addition! That is a fundamental aspect of Overwatch's character development.

Character and clothing design are your strong points I think. You were lacking some bits of detailing on the outfit. Overwatch may appear simple but the outfits have a great deal of detailing but it's just the right amount.

There are places you can improve, I hope I can provide good feedback for you and you continue to improve.

1. Mechanical drawing
You can focus on developing your mechanical design skills, though your idea for the gun is good, you can still work on the overall drawing skills to illustrate shapes a bit better. Overwatch weapons have really prominent shapes, I felt like your gun could use a stronger shape language.

2. Environment art
I know being a character artist is fun, and environments always feel daunting. Right now your environment art communicates the idea, which is great for concept art, but if you look to illustrate you gotta work on the lighting/mood and materials a bit better. You have a good start and strong base to work on with what I've seen so far :) It'll take time but the more you do the better you'll get at it. Last thing I think would be cool for you to try is design props like you did with you gun, try that for environment art and give it all your love to make the design kick !@#.

Anyway that's all I can offer, as you finish school keep tackling your weaknesses and keep working on personal projects to better yourself :) Design your own worlds and heroes that will be very valuable for you as a concept artist.

Just to prove I'm not talking bs about being a digital artist here's my work:
https://www.artstation.com/moizeopel

Have a good art journey :D

Thank you for your wonderful feedback :)
You're absolutely right about I'm lacking of detailing an outfit lol
and all your advice is greatly helpful ! I'll keep all that in mind >:3

Btw, your artworks are awesome !!
If this becomes a hero in overwatch, i will main her.
Cause i dont have any mains and cause i am thai.
This is Amazing We need to add this Charrater into overwatch
This is so amazing! A story about his work was published on a Brazilian site and Brazilian players received his character very well. Congratulations on the work!
For god sake Jeff. 2000+ likes on a hero concept? You need to hire this man and buy his hero, and make it reality!
2000 likes. I swear, Blizzard has to be planning something about this.
I'm a Thai-American who loves Overwatch and mains a support hero. This concept is so beautiful and it so gracefully embodies Thai aesthetic and culture into the Overwatch setting, it literally brings tears to my eyes. I rarely ever see Thai characters represented in any games, whereas there are so many of the other Asian demographics (many of whom I appreciate, don't get me wrong).

Thai culture is so beautiful and unique too, they have their own world renown fighting style-- I'm not sure why we're always left out.

I know that I'll likely never see this character in Overwatch and that Thailand may never be represented, even in the world where the nations were united in their common cause-- but it gave me hope. Someday, when OP is a famous game designer, maybe you'll consider incorporating Thai design and concepts into those projects, too. I'd love to see that.

Thank you for letting me see what I've always wondered about and in such a beautiful way. Khorb khun na ka.
I smell an internship for you my friend.

This is incredibly high quality, I mean, I wasn't even expecting a map. You went above and beyond with this.
This is an amazingly detailed piece. most of the outfits are fairly similar to the Blizzard designs. I just think you may have used too many colours for the Halloween skin that aren't similar to each other.

you should definitely think of applying for a job at Blizzard, because there's no other way of being able to see her ingame because you're currently not working for Blizzard and they're not allowed to plagurize
Jeff, we want this character, PLS GIVE US THIS CHARACTER!!!
What is her ultimente