do you prefer complete reworks or minor tweaks?

General Discussion
I feel like this new mercy could have been an opportunity for a completely new hero character. She plays so different than old mercy.

And new Dva could even have been an opportunity for a new hero as well.

Just my thoughts. I like and support the tweaks to balance the existing characters. Not really a fan of the, let's completely change this character to something it's never been before.
This is exactly how I feel. Especially when the excuse is "it's not fun to play against", which is very weak and pathetic. There's a LOT that's "unfun" to play against in this game, but since pro DPS mains (see Seagull !@#$%ing on livestream about Mercy) hate their ults being eaten by D.Va, and hate that they got outplayed by wasting all their ults without baiting Rez like smart players do, we get this mess intead.
Hmm. I like reworks because it refreshes the game very much.
Just wait and see how much more differently things are going to be happening from now on.
But it shouldnt happen too often. Minor tweaks are the way to go, if possible.
09/20/2017 12:13 AMPosted by fayescarlet
This is exactly how I feel. Especially when the excuse is "it's not fun to play against", which is very weak and pathetic. There's a LOT that's "unfun" to play against in this game, but since pro DPS mains (see Seagull !@#$%ing on livestream about Mercy) hate their ults being eaten by D.Va, and hate that they got outplayed by wasting all their ults without baiting Rez like smart players do, we get this mess intead.

Yeah I agree, the whole "not fun" excuse is so weak. Jeff even said they were changing Dva to make her more fun to play. I didn't hear anyone complaining that she was boring to play. Kinda feels like blizzard is bored with their own game and making changes that [I]they[/I] want rather than the players want.
09/20/2017 12:13 AMPosted by Iridium
Hmm. I like reworks because it refreshes the game very much.
Just wait and see how much more differently things are going to be happening from now on.
But it shouldnt happen too often. Minor tweaks are the way to go, if possible.

But adding new heroes with those abilities could accomplish the same goal, could it not?
honestly, i feel reworks are justified if the reason is justified

broken hero that can completely turn a teamfight by sitting in a corner and pressing 1 button? justified.

hero that's so bad that merely switching to him tilts your team? justified.

hero that performs slightly under par compared to other heroes of the category? not justified.
I agree. I think tweaks are necessary sometimes but complete changes should only be in order for heroes with dismal pick rates.

As a Mercy main I knew I would feel biased. I can see how some find her ult frustrating and I have been advocating for original Mercy to just see LoS added to her ult and possibly even making the range a bit smaller.... But I was also looking forward a little bit to tempo rez becoming the only option. I just am not happy with this rework as a replacement for my favorite hero. It's a bad trade off in my opinion. They completely changed her playstyle, not to mention how badly overwatch needs a new healer (or at least a new support) right now.... this rework was energy that could have been better spent :/
I don't think a complete rework has been successful once so far, neither Symmetra or Bastion were made into playable characteters as both are still strictly defense characters who are rarely picked at serious ranks, and Lucio was more of a numerical change regarding aura range vs aura strength that did absolutely nothing to reduce his ubiquitous pick rate. And then there's the opposite spectrum, where "reworked" Junkrat and Mercy are in every game because they were practically shoe horned into the metagame thru' over tuning.
Its only different if you played hide and go rez. As someone who liked staying in the fight she feels better cause she rezzes people as they die instead of telling everyone to die so she can heal them and bring them back. She got buffed and she was already annoying. But she plays better and more predictably to strategize against. If she rezes when out of her ult you know she has 30 seconds for another pne and can time stuff accordingly.
Depends.
D.va needed a rework. They did so many tweaks on her without positive results.
In fact, they made her worse to play with and against in the process when she reached DM bot status.

The rockets are a good addition but she needs few more tweaks.
I’d prefer more new heroes to counter balance.
As much as I'm having a lot of fun playing the new Mercy, I'm always for minor tweaks over huge reworks. I think there were other ways they could have done this, because now I feel like Mercy has become the opposite of what she was (before she would "counter" a team wipe, now to "counter" her you have to team wipe). I wish they'd favor minor changes on other heroes in the future and keep the crazy new mechanics ideas for new heroes.
In this case a rework improved the overall game quite a bit.

I don't know about D.Va, but the Mercy change has created much more fun brawls to play in. More sustained fighting and less peaks and valleys. Beterna rework than a new character because both the new and the old coexisting would have been too similar.
Tweak first. If the problem persists, rework.
I think some heroes have design that just promotes a poor, frustrating or boring playing style. And that sometimes those heroes need reworks.

D.va's defense matrix was mostly a very frustrating thing. It took very little effort to be able to negate a lot of damage. So they reworked her to have less defense matrix but more damage potential.

Mercy's rez promoted a poor and frustrating playing style that heavily relies on big rezes more so than tempo rezes. So they reworked her to be heavily tempo-rez based. (And some people might also call old mercy boring, so we might see more people pick up Mercy, too)

Lucio's old aura promoted a boring playing style that revolved around just.. existing. So despite his status as one of the most valuable heroes in the game, he was too boring for people to play. So they alleviated that be making him engaging.

I don't think all reworks were perfect, though. I think bastion's rework had some good elements, but by making him good, and only good, against fat tanks and barriers and getting rid of his accuracy at range made him less fun than before. iirc this is why Kolorbastion quit.

But unless a hero's design is so weird that the only way to fix it is to rework. Small changes are fine.
I would definitely prefer smaller tweaks, and only resort to full-on reworks for massive, drastic issues.
BUG fixes first, than small tweaks.
09/20/2017 12:11 AMPosted by Facerocker
I feel like this new mercy could have been an opportunity for a completely new hero character. She plays so different than old mercy.

And new Dva could even have been an opportunity for a new hero as well.

Just my thoughts. I like and support the tweaks to balance the existing characters. Not really a fan of the, let's completely change this character to something it's never been before.

Yep! In Blizzards True form, let's drastically change things, rather than address the real issues, and make small tweaks to see how it balances the char. I've been saying it for over a year now. They need to make small adjustments more often. Always huge game breaking edits that do nothing but get everyone all in a tissy.