Grandmaster player quitting overwatch.

Competitive Discussion
Hello, I am just a casual overwatch player who play competitvely in grandmasters rank. I just want to bring some attention on forums on why many of us casual players, regardless of level and what rank tier we are in, are officially done with this game.

Even though I am winning most of my games throughout all seasons, consistently ranking up and still improving, i have come to the conclusion that this game is not fun, not rewarding, but very stressful and its burning me out. I am tired of the people/community and the horrible rank system blizzard has built this game on.

It comes down to 4 reasons why people are leaving this game.

1. Match making is unfair, broken, and absolutely stressful in all aspects. Hero classes, average sr differences, hero balances, sr gap between teammates, how inaccurate sr really is, and i don't know where to begin and finish. In higher ranks it gets better but is still broken , but in lower ranks it is a disaster because average level players don't have enough impact to carry games in such unstable teamwork and match making in a heavily team oriented game. Thus it feels like random/luck in winning and losing.

2. Report system is meaningless, overwatch is the only mmo/esport game where throwers and toxic players go unpunished. Looking at dota and league for example, have a working system that punishes and heavily discourages toxic behaviors. It is done easily so why can't overwatch have the same working system?

3. Blizzard doesn't seem to know how to balance heros and meta has always been unstable and constantly changing with one hero getting overpowered and the other getting nerfed down to the ground. Every patch has been unsatisfactory.

4. Blizzard simply doesn't seem to care about the esport scene, match making system, and the community. They have the capacity and resources to fix most of the issues we are facing, but they simply chose not to.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759239752?page=1

The link above, the thread needs more attention and it pretty much summed up all the reasons why overwatch will fail in its current state.

Its a shame because i love this game and i still care about it, but i am convinced nothing will get fixed and remain unchanged. Players voices will go unheard and many more players will leave. Its frustrating because blizzard can still save this game and fix the issues, but they simply only care about making money from lootboxes. Which is funny to me, if you are looking at the long term profit (big picture, growing and maintaining playerbase will lead to more leagues and tournaments and viewership and game purchases. But all the patches were about halloween events and such that did not fix the core problems overwatch is facing and losing its playerbase. It is ironic.
Blizz is trying to appeal to everyone while satisfying no one.

I basically stopped playing support the past week because its just no fun at all with all the JR spam and mandatory Mercy.
It won't be balanced because they don't care about the casual player only what the top 100 and pro players want. That's fine just screw over most of the casual players.
they need to just remove 2cp and at least quick play and comp would be enjoyable.
My issues are largely with the matchmaking. Any game with classes in it like this one is going to have balancing woes. Never in the history of competitive gaming has there been a game with classes that was 100% balanced 100% of the time, there are simply too many moving parts.

Throwers, leavers, smurfs, and the fact that even (or especially) at my meager SR of 1200, there are 1200s that I demolish and 1200s that absolutely outplay me in every way, are my real concern, and why I think the game can't sustain this way.

People aren't having fun because they're either stomping or being stomped 90% of the time. It's always either way too easy or way too hard, and I'm sure many like me have improved this season and are still at a lower SR than when they started. I'm not being rewarded for my practice, dedication, research, coaching video after coaching video I've watched and learned... so... what's the point?
10/26/2017 08:58 AMPosted by Chimera8130
It won't be balanced because they don't care about the casual player only what the top 100 and pro players want. That's fine just screw over most of the casual players.
This is flat out wrong. They dont listen to pros, and they dont listen to casuals. They listen to pros AND they listen to casuals
10/26/2017 09:45 AMPosted by Sulack
This is flat out wrong. They dont listen to pros, and they dont listen to casuals. They listen to pros AND they listen to casuals

^No they don't listen to either.
10/26/2017 08:48 AMPosted by classick
casual overwatch player who play competitvely in grandmasters rank.
10/26/2017 10:19 AMPosted by ohyesabhi
10/26/2017 08:48 AMPosted by classick
casual overwatch player who play competitvely in grandmasters rank.

he's just saying he's gud at games but doesn't care to play on a team/professionally
match making is 100% what is wrong with the game. I have felt this way from day one, and it is only getting worse.

rarely do I get an honest to god close even match, most matches are 1-sided stompings where one team is in no danger of losing, and only actually lose due to complacency.
I'm rarely play overwatch right now after playing non-stop since open beta.
And I must say that I feel good and peace.

I still follow ow forums,news and world cup,Apex etc like how I follows on LoL worlds,dota 2 TI and HotS esports even I don't play them anymore.and look like ow will be next.
10/26/2017 09:47 AMPosted by classick
...This is flat out wrong. They dont listen to pros, and they dont listen to casuals. They listen to pros AND they listen to casuals

^No they don't listen to either.
What they do is they only listen to the sweet voice of our lord and savoir Kaplin... Have you ever built a product under the eye of the public?

I'm going to assume not (cause neither have I). If they dont listen to pros, and they dont listen to casuals, WHO DO THEY LISTEN TO?

Oh....
<span class="truncated">...</span>

he's just saying he's gud at games but doesn't care to play on a team/professionally

No, even playing at the highest ranks for a casual player,game qualities are horrible is what i am saying.

I would like something done about it so everyone can be happy with the game. If i was bronze and put the title as bronze player quitting, nobody would listen to me because i have no creditability as to not having learned the game to depth.

Plus i am not a professional game material. 4170 sr is far from top 500 and i get crushed easily by 4500 sr players which i get a lot in my games, that is obnoxious because 4500 sr players shouldn't be getting matched up with me or anyone under gm in first place.

That's the mentality that brought World of Warcraft to its terrible state, when they tried to be more casual, after Wrath of the Lich King, everything went downhill.

I agree the matchmaking should be changed, stop comparing stats for individuals and give sr based on mmr differences, like 25 if you were really close in mmr and lower if the difference is bigger.
OW is a fun game but it's full of !@#$ters/trolls/leavers and passive aggressive schmucks. They make it for a miserable experience. The game itself is great.
10/26/2017 09:22 AMPosted by Millface1
My issues are largely with the matchmaking. Any game with classes in it like this one is going to have balancing woes. Never in the history of competitive gaming has there been a game with classes that was 100% balanced 100% of the time, there are simply too many moving parts.

Throwers, leavers, smurfs, and the fact that even (or especially) at my meager SR of 1200, there are 1200s that I demolish and 1200s that absolutely outplay me in every way, are my real concern, and why I think the game can't sustain this way.

People aren't having fun because they're either stomping or being stomped 90% of the time. It's always either way too easy or way too hard, and I'm sure many like me have improved this season and are still at a lower SR than when they started. I'm not being rewarded for my practice, dedication, research, coaching video after coaching video I've watched and learned... so... what's the point?

I will have to politely disagree with this sentiment. When I first started I had 0 game sense and back when loss streaks were real bad, I went from placing at 1900 to 600's in SR.
If anyone played solo support as Ana back during this period and experienced these massive loss streaks, I can relate and sympathize with you greatly.

I actually bought another account because I thought the game was against me and I could never recover despite thinking I deserved where I was placed. This second account placed high 1600s and I started dropping on that account too, plateau"ing" around 1350-1400 SR.

It was only after starting to watch Chro and his game mentality that you must get better and if you continue to perform at a high level, you will inevitably climb. It took a bit to get these two accounts back to where they started and some. Both accounts ended gold that season (4).
During this season I played lots of Ana (when I didn't know how to position properly and kept dying). Climbed out of bronze with s76 and played tanks, healers, and junkrat (on koth maps pre buff) the rest of the way.

I felt great satisfaction out of climbing through the depths of some of the lowest SR in the game and it was a learning experience.
Ended season 4 maining mercy(more hours played than ana)
Ended season 5 maining Ana(more hours than mercy) also played a lot of junkrat here too.
Keep in mind these hero picks were counter to the meta at the time and it learned a great deal from say playing Ana during the dive meta in S5.

I know have gotten both accounts to 2800SR currently (previously getting them both to Plat in s5) and even with throwers and leavers, there is still room to climb.

"You can't win every game but you can't lose every game either."

What drugs are u on?
Lol i should've gave in more thought and time on writing this post better with reaaonable details and less grammatic errors. Some ppl are getting wrong ideas as usual.
People have been saying the matchmaker was trash since season 1. White knights constantly defending this nonsense too instead of being honest about what is going on.

Watch as they ride in and rationalize what is going on with deflection, strawman, and rank shaming.
The solution to all this...is team work.

Be freinds with good players online. Form a 6 stack team. Join voice chat and be nice and dont be toxic. Communicate and make a plan based on the map and enemy team comp.

Solo = SR Gamble
Team = Higher chance of Victory

...easier said than done. :(