DVA: DPS Hero/Tank = OP?

General Discussion
It seems to me that DVA might be a bit too powerful in damage, dangerously making her into an DPS hero with high health/defensive , which I believe Blizzard was trying to avoid with Roadhog.

Could be why shes always picked now.

It is always been dangerous to make a tank hero to output lots of damage and have high health, as those type of heros become overpowered due to the high survibility, making other heros obselete.

Her damage output might need a slight balance tweak in some way, maybe in her missiles.
It's funny, the general consensus is that Reaper is the best counter to D.Va, yet he has one of the lowest pickrates among the Offense heroes, even though D.Va is the 2th or 3rd most played Hero in the game.
I preferred D.Va when her kit was tailored more towards a defense first mentality. Her Defense Matrix was incredibly useful as it would make a large number of Ultimate abilities ineffective. With the recent update, her Defense Matrix doesn't last long enough to be a viable defensive tool - it's not reliable enough anymore.

I never once used D.Va as an attacking unit and with her recent changes I still don't.

Blizzard would do well to acknowledge the fact that there are many of us who prefer a more structured approach to the way we play, and that for a class-based team game, there should be an equal amount of consideration given to attacking and defensive oriented strategies and abilities.
11/06/2017 12:33 PMPosted by Reaper
It's funny, the general consensus is that Reaper is the best counter to D.Va, yet he has one of the lowest pickrates among the Offense heroes, even though D.Va is the 2th or 3rd most played Hero in the game.

Ya but DVA can get away from reaper fast, or even use her shields so. Not really. Besides, all heros should be soft "countered" (there really should never be HARD counters to be honest) but multipe heros in some way.

DVA kinda wipes the floor with anyone facing her pretty quickly.
Lower missile duration while increasing Defense Matrix recharge rate would do wonders in moving Diva back into the aggressive tank role and away from the tanky dps role.
11/06/2017 12:43 PMPosted by Hellgeist
Lower missile duration while increasing Defense Matrix recharge rate would do wonders in moving Diva back into the aggressive tank role and away from the tanky dps role.

Yes, this would probably do it.
There's this thing called a "bruiser".

High health, high mobility, decent damage, designed to disrupt the enemy and force them to focus the bruiser over more valuable targets.

The difference between D.Va and old Roadhog is that D.Va has very little self-sustain. Her Defense Matrix is an incredibly limited and valuable resource, so she's this huge target that can get shredded without a support to back her up.
Nerf D.Va thread? Is it that time of month already?
11/06/2017 12:39 PMPosted by NovusNubes
I preferred D.Va when her kit was tailored more towards a defense first mentality. Her Defense Matrix was incredibly useful as it would make a large number of Ultimate abilities ineffective. With the recent update, her Defense Matrix doesn't last long enough to be a viable defensive tool - it's not reliable enough anymore.

I never once used D.Va as an attacking unit and with her recent changes I still don't.

Blizzard would do well to acknowledge the fact that there are many of us who prefer a more structured approach to the way we play, and that for a class-based team game, there should be an equal amount of consideration given to attacking and defensive oriented strategies and abilities.

I really miss having the mobile defense tank. I wish they could add a new hero to fill the role now that D.va doesn't.
11/06/2017 12:39 PMPosted by NovusNubes

This. Pre-rework, I played Dva like a support. I'd mark vulnerable teammates, and prioritize peeling for them with my DM and booster boops. It was a great counter when skilled flankers were running roughshod in our back lines, and generally making my support's life a living hell.

Old DM was also great for sheparding teammates through storms of spam at the choke. I'd boost through the choke, then put up DM for my teammates to run through and join me.

I miss Bodyguard Dva...
If she's supposed to be DPS, she needs to be a lot smaller.
If she's supposed to be a tank, she has no armor, means of defense and an easy to hit critbox.
i would be fine if they revert the matrix back to where it was before the rework

you cant just gut our compensation without giving us what belong to us back

the missle is !@#$ty enough as is and the rework is already a net nerf
She's in a similar spot to Hog and Zarya. Tanks who can dish big damage as their form of space management. They "tank" by being scary and something you want to shoot at. So damage is kinda necessary to their viability. Look at Hog after his damage nerf (he can still do work but it hurt). Without it you can just ignore them and walk past.
11/06/2017 12:46 PMPosted by Gaze

High health, high mobility, decent damage, designed to disrupt the enemy and force them to focus the bruiser over more valuable targets.

The difference between D.Va and old Roadhog is that D.Va has very little self-sustain. Her Defense Matrix is an incredibly limited and valuable resource, so she's this huge target that can get shredded without a support to back her up.

She has a lot of DPS right now. I would argue she's more frustrating than old Hog. Hog was slow and needed to get close in order to be a threat, but D.Va's high mobility and burst with MM makes her very annoying to play against. Her poor sustain makes her equally annoying to play too. In reality her MM ability makes her better at fighting tanks than she should be. I don't think she needs MM to be honest. The ability to shoot while firing was the buff she needed to be more of an aggressive dive tank. I would trade MM for another second of DM in a heartbeat.
11/06/2017 12:57 PMPosted by Merle
11/06/2017 12:46 PMPosted by Gaze

She has a lot of DPS right now. I would argue she's more frustrating than old Hog. Hog was slow and needed to get close in order to be a threat, but D.Va's high mobility and burst with MM makes her very annoying to play against. Her poor sustain makes her equally annoying to play too. In reality her MM ability makes her better at fighting tanks than she should be. I don't think she needs MM to be honest. The ability to shoot while firing was the buff she needed to be more of an aggressive dive tank. I would trade MM for another second of DM in a heartbeat.

And this is mostly the case. Her out put damage is to high, coupled with all the mobility and HP.
I think what people seem to forget is that in D.va's case, she seems to have an identity crisis every 6-8 months whenever people start to complain about her. Original inteneded Bully tank playstyle? Change. Defensive DM tank? Change. DPS tank that cant tank? Maybe change?

Not just that but they nerfed hog because of his damage because of the complain 'tanks should do so much damage!" and with D.vas burst damage, she can eliminate squishies. Which might end her up on the same platter as Hog.

But even then, shes not so much of a tank because of her massive critbox and lack of armor. You get rid two of her tanking abilities (DM & armor) and you expect her to be a tank? Even if she is supposed to be a bruiser tank, its not much a tank as she melts quite easily for a bruiser or a tank in general.
11/06/2017 12:33 PMPosted by Reaper
reaper doesn't really counter tanks tbh the only one he soft counters is winston and any good winston just needs to maintain distance if you want an actually tank counter go tracer of if its a payload map pull out the pirate ship with bastion
Orrr you could decrease missle duration, and make Matrix 3s.

Because 3s of matrix for 9s of recharge is MORE than fair and if you STILL get your ultimate eaten it's YOUR FAULT.
D.Va is fine and pretty damn well balanced as is. People like you just want her, and just about anything else that isn't what you play, useless. L2P
D.va can still provide a ton of utility with DM. You sort of have to play her a ton and realize just how many heroes you can mess up with simply having DM up for like half a second. So many abilities and ultimates she still ruins and the bulk of them on reaction along with some pretty obvious prediction based off some visual ques. Its amazing how often you can stuff flashbang, fire strikes, helix rockets, mines, sleep darts, bio nades, etc.

However, she now gains a burst combo that is pretty hard to deal with when you consider booster, missiles, and primary fire can all be used while boosting and put you really close to the enemy to make it hard to miss shots with primary fire and missiles.

She cannot deal well with sustained fire which really only Rein and Orisa can handle. Even with 2 more seconds on DM she still cannot last long in sustained fire. With the recharge buff her total DM nerf was 33% effectiveness rather than 50% in total up time.