We had the (imperfect) solution and it got removed

Competitive Discussion
The Avoid feature is what I'm referring to.

For those who don't know, we had a feature early in the game which allowed you to avoid a certain player.
The problem was it basically made it so you would never get into a game with them at all, even on the enemy team.
A well known and highly skilled widow player was basically avoided by a lot of people and eventually he basically couldn't get into games, at least not quickly or well matched.

There has been countless suggestions about how this could have been fixed, such as, avoid simply means they cannot be on the same team, but can be against you.
Ultimately this could end up in the same situation though, where everyone avoids you and you can't get into a game.

Even still, something could be done to this feature, I'm sure.

It just feels like the logical and obvious solution.
"I don't want to play with this person anymore" ......done......

Anyone any thoughts?
blizzard will never bring that back as it will actually solve the problem of the community while affecting 4-10 players from top 500.

Thoose 4-10 players can always go and play in custom games where they will find their appropriate challenge.
Could just make avoids last for a few games. Usually enough time to queue dodge trolls.
09/14/2017 06:49 AMPosted by Subflow
Could just make avoids last for a few games. Usually enough time to queue dodge trolls.

I do believe this is actually a good idea.
09/14/2017 03:32 AMPosted by ExiledEnemy
A well known and highly skilled widow player was basically avoided by a lot of people and eventually he basically couldn't get into games, at least not quickly or well matched.

Please show proof of this...
Well known? I have never heard anyone mention the player's name...
I heard the person was using aimbots, which were very common at the start of the game... But again, no one seems to be able to provide actual evidence of this folklore being true...

While it is technically possible that one individual person could become "blacklisted" by the community, It definitely isn't likely unless the person is extremely toxic, to the point that Blizzard should have banned them anyway.

You actually believe that enough of the community avoided said player, to the point of them being unable to get a match? Furthermore, you actually believe that this happened without some kind of trail?
Where are the Reddit posts saying "Avoid (Insert Player Here)"?
Where are the YouTube videos?
Where are the Twitch clips?
You honestly think the entire community basically avoided this player, without reason, other than them being so much better than the rest of the player base, and that all of them did it of their own free will? If so, do you still put milk and cookies out for Santa too?
I usually go do a round of FFA to make sure I won't get the same person on my next game.
Another variation that was suggested multiple times is to allow only a maximum number of avoids (like 100). The oldest ones just get pushed out of the list if it is full.

AFAIK there was no comment from Blizzard on the issue since it was removed. I feel their lousy communication may be the worst thing about Overwatch.

They must know about it ... why not give us something? Anything!

"We're aware of it but don't have the time right now."
"We're working on it but it's harder than we thought."
"Will not come before Q3 2018"
"We hate the Idea, please think of something else."

Anything would be better than the permanent silence on all these issues.
09/14/2017 07:08 AMPosted by Deno

I heard the person was using aimbots, which were very common at the start of the game... But again, no one seems to be able to provide actual evidence of this folklore being true...

While it is technically possible that one individual person could become "blacklisted" by the community, It definitely isn't likely unless the person is extremely toxic, to the point that Blizzard should have banned them anyway.

You actually believe that enough of the community avoided said player, to the point of them being unable to get a match? Furthermore, you actually believe that this happened without some kind of trail?
You honestly think the entire community basically avoided this player, without reason, other than them being so much better than the rest of the player base, and that all of them did it of their own free will? If so, do you still put milk and cookies out for Santa too?

Jeff talks about it in this post:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371?page=1#post-3

For example, we recently realized that “Avoid this player” was wreaking havoc on matchmaking. One of the best Widowmaker players in the world complained to us about long queue times. We looked into it and found that hundreds of other players had avoided him (he’s a nice guy – they avoided him because they did not want to play against him, not because of misbehavior). The end result was that it took him an extremely long time to find a match. The worst part was, by the time he finally got a match, he had been waiting so long that the system had “opened up” to lower skill players. Now one of the best Widowmaker players was facing off against players at a lower skill level. As a result, we’ve disabled the Avoid system (the UI will go away in an upcoming patch). The system was designed with the best intent. But the results were pretty disastrous.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371?page=1#post-3
It is near the bottom of Kaplan's post.

If you google Widowmaker long queue times due to avoid player, you will find tons of articles about it when it happened. (Last year)

I GOT NINJA'd

How dense do you have to be?
They are most likely talking about a GM or top 500 widow that was avoided by most of the other players around the same tier. When you reach those ranks you end up with the same people, since there are so few of them.