Do you think Overwatch team simply not have enough people?

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 26 Next
09/26/2017 06:04 PMPosted by HappyFeet
Mei has had a bug where Cryo freeze doesn't get rid of heal block since Ana was released.

It's still there.
Was this listed by the devs as a known bug? I always assumed it was working as intended. Bio nade and hack are like the only two counter actions to Ice Block off the top of my head. And nade only negates half of its effect.

Not trying to start an argument. Just curious. Sorry for straying from topic.
09/27/2017 01:25 PMPosted by Catbus
I actually looked at the available positions to see whether there were any I fit into. Lo and behold, there actually were a couple.

So the question I had to ask myself was: Would it be worth moving to Irvine, Calif.?

I looked at the commuting situation around that city, looked at the communities where I'd have to live for the commute not to be sanity-breaking, and said, "No."

Then I asked myself whether I'd put up with that kind of living situation in order to produce games for this impossible-to-please community, and said, "Hell, no."

Don't look at it for the community. Look at it for you. Looking and the community commute is definitely the right choice. Also look at the salary vs what you could make elsewhere.
09/27/2017 01:33 PMPosted by Doomstench
09/26/2017 06:04 PMPosted by HappyFeet
Mei has had a bug where Cryo freeze doesn't get rid of heal block since Ana was released.

It's still there.
Was this listed by the devs as a known bug? I always assumed it was working as intended. Bio nade and hack are like the only two counter actions to Ice Block off the top of my head. And nade only negates half of its effect.

Not trying to start an argument. Just curious. Sorry for straying from topic.
It's under the known bug list
09/27/2017 01:00 PMPosted by Noxgarm
09/27/2017 12:16 PMPosted by TheRugester
This company has billions of dollars and refuses to really spend it. And if you look at the job opening page, sure they have positions open but want you to have 342238 different qualifications to even apply. There are thousands of people out there more talented then anyone on the OW team but because they haven't worked on a AAA title before, they wont give them even a first look let alone a second.

Just to be sure: you do know that Blizzard does not, in fact has billion of dollars just laying around, right? The company is WORTH billions, sure, but they can't just unlock funds that easily.

Now, I know jack about economy, but I'm pretty sure that the Overwatch team was allocated a SET BUDGET for the YEAR, and that they had to justify said budget in front of a board. Meaning that they have to plan out the overall expenses over a full year. And Overwatch is just into it's second year. Meaning, the machine isn't oiled yet. The workflow, the ideal budget, the overall mastery of the project, all those things come from several years of exploitation.

When Jeff says that Toxicity takes away from actual content, he does mean it. Because having to babysit their playerbase wasn't in their plans; so they have to take ressources and working force away from other projects to take care of that.

And for the jobs thing, same problem: hiring new personnel takes time and money. They don't just take qualified people, and put them to work. They actually have to follow a formation. before being allowed to work on a project. Adding an untrained element in a team, even if he is" more talented" than anyone in the Overwatch team, would prove more disruptive than anything.

TL;DR: You can't solve problem by throwing money at it. Blizzard can't just give more money and add personnel to the OW Dev team like that, and the Dev team have to follow a budget and a schedule, meaning that any diversion will hurt the whole project.

In 2015, Blizzard made about 1.1 billion dollars. http://www.gamersdecide.com/pc-game-news/how-much-money-does-blizzard-entertainment-make-year

When OW came out, just it self made a Billion dollars. https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/4/15551040/overwatch-revenue-billion-dollars-blizzard

They have the money laying around and if they dont, then they need to hire a new accountant or money manager.

When it comes to toxicity, people need to grow a pair, suck it up, and stop complaining about it. Someone is being toxic, go and press P and mute them. Problem is solved. But people would rather spend more time !@#$%ing on the forums about it. Sure, people are toxic but its like that for just about every game you play. If you cant handle it, dont play games then.

Lets look at the game Paladins, sure its not as super pretty as OW but they have content coming out like crazy. New heroes and maps all the time. They are a much smaller Dev team but actually do work, respond on the forums and stuff like that. Blizzard has a much bigger team and can barely even get a ptr up and running with out 3434534 bugs that should have been seen if they played their own game for 5 minutes.
09/27/2017 02:45 PMPosted by TheRugester
09/27/2017 01:00 PMPosted by Noxgarm

Just to be sure: you do know that Blizzard does not, in fact has billion of dollars just laying around, right? The company is WORTH billions, sure, but they can't just unlock funds that easily.

Now, I know jack about economy, but I'm pretty sure that the Overwatch team was allocated a SET BUDGET for the YEAR, and that they had to justify said budget in front of a board. Meaning that they have to plan out the overall expenses over a full year. And Overwatch is just into it's second year. Meaning, the machine isn't oiled yet. The workflow, the ideal budget, the overall mastery of the project, all those things come from several years of exploitation.

When Jeff says that Toxicity takes away from actual content, he does mean it. Because having to babysit their playerbase wasn't in their plans; so they have to take ressources and working force away from other projects to take care of that.

And for the jobs thing, same problem: hiring new personnel takes time and money. They don't just take qualified people, and put them to work. They actually have to follow a formation. before being allowed to work on a project. Adding an untrained element in a team, even if he is" more talented" than anyone in the Overwatch team, would prove more disruptive than anything.

TL;DR: You can't solve problem by throwing money at it. Blizzard can't just give more money and add personnel to the OW Dev team like that, and the Dev team have to follow a budget and a schedule, meaning that any diversion will hurt the whole project.

In 2015, Blizzard made about 1.1 billion dollars. http://www.gamersdecide.com/pc-game-news/how-much-money-does-blizzard-entertainment-make-year

When OW came out, just it self made a Billion dollars. https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/4/15551040/overwatch-revenue-billion-dollars-blizzard

They have the money laying around and if they dont, then they need to hire a new accountant or money manager.

When it comes to toxicity, people need to grow a pair, suck it up, and stop complaining about it. Someone is being toxic, go and press P and mute them. Problem is solved. But people would rather spend more time !@#$%ing on the forums about it. Sure, people are toxic but its like that for just about every game you play. If you cant handle it, dont play games then.

Lets look at the game Paladins, sure its not as super pretty as OW but they have content coming out like crazy. New heroes and maps all the time. They are a much smaller Dev team but actually do work, respond on the forums and stuff like that. Blizzard has a much bigger team and can barely even get a ptr up and running with out 3434534 bugs that should have been seen if they played their own game for 5 minutes.

You compare Paladins to OW. You said it yourself, Paladins isn't as pretty. Having higher quality visuals means skins and maps are going to be harder to make. Why do you think HotS can have such a large variety of skins? They have said. The lower poly counts makes making skins much easier and much faster. So you may not be able to just casually compare OW to Paladins. Hiring people isn't cheap either. Drug tests, background checks, paper work, health plans. It translates into a lot of money. I'm not saying you're wrong but don't just casually talk like Blizzard could just hire the people if they wanted. Especially, again they need applicants to hire and there may not be a large abundant of them.
09/26/2017 05:38 PMPosted by Vánagandr
I mean, their work feels good. It doesn't feel lazy, or half-assed.
see: Bastion.
they took the things that attracted the only .5% of the community who plays him then they screwed it up.
09/27/2017 09:05 AMPosted by toastytoast
09/26/2017 05:48 PMPosted by HappyFeet
I wouldn't be surprised if the OW team is a majority of art people and a handful of people actually working on the game.

So Blizzard is the Alfa Romeo of the gaming world?

Looks nice but something is always broken.

09/27/2017 09:10 AMPosted by Winks
They need higher level play testers/PTR observers.
No they don't
09/27/2017 05:58 PMPosted by Vánagandr
09/27/2017 02:45 PMPosted by TheRugester

You compare Paladins to OW. You said it yourself, Paladins isn't as pretty. Having higher quality visuals means skins and maps are going to be harder to make. Why do you think HotS can have such a large variety of skins? They have said. The lower poly counts makes making skins much easier and much faster. So you may not be able to just casually compare OW to Paladins. Hiring people isn't cheap either. Drug tests, background checks, paper work, health plans. It translates into a lot of money. I'm not saying you're wrong but don't just casually talk like Blizzard could just hire the people if they wanted. Especially, again they need applicants to hire and there may not be a large abundant of them.

Ive been in management for most of my life. It takes 20 minutes for human resources to file paperwork. Background checks typically cost depending on who runs them $10-$25. Drug screens depending on where but usually only cost about $112.00. And health plans depending on what kind of plans they have and how much the company decides to cover. A company with billions of dollars should be happy to shell out money for health plans.

Now OW vs Paladins. I can run my game on High in OW if I want but depending on the map some times ill get some screen lag so I usually run my settings on low. My settings on high on Paladins is just as good as OW on low for the most part. They are two different games and will have different qualities. But for Paladins Dev team to be so much more productive with everything in their game compared to OW, the OW devs should be ashamed considering they are a much much bigger team. There are posts on the Forums such as a topic I made with 200+ likes on it and they cant take 2 seconds to respond to it.
09/27/2017 06:24 PMPosted by TheRugester
There are posts on the Forums such as a topic I made with 200+ likes on it and they cant take 2 seconds to respond to it.

The forums are here for us to discuss the game and for them to occasionally respond only when they feel to. They don't need to respond to every post but I can assure you from years of experience with this company someone out there is being paid to read all the things posted, good or bad, and relay the stuff worth discussing to the development team.

The forums aren't here to communicate directly with the devs. If that's how you're using the forums, then you're wasting your time. You use it to discuss the game with other players. That's how every blizzard forum has and will continue to be operated.
Theres 3 for art, and 6 for engineering.

They could in fact be short some.
Yes. I feel they need more people for seperate teams. Ones who animate and create the characters. Ones who do the balance changes. Ones who work on the forums to answer questions.

Tere team does a lot of all of it. They simply just need more people.
Blizzard earning millions of dollars in PROFIT, billions in revenue yet they can't afford to hire more people.

To be honest, I heard that Blizzard is a stressful place to work for in the first place, the culture is bad apparently as well. It aint no google.
09/27/2017 06:38 PMPosted by Parker
09/27/2017 06:24 PMPosted by TheRugester
There are posts on the Forums such as a topic I made with 200+ likes on it and they cant take 2 seconds to respond to it.

The forums are here for us to discuss the game and for them to occasionally respond only when they feel to. They don't need to respond to every post but I can assure you from years of experience with this company someone out there is being paid to read all the things posted, good or bad, and relay the stuff worth discussing to the development team.

The forums aren't here to communicate directly with the devs. If that's how you're using the forums, then you're wasting your time. You use it to discuss the game with other players. That's how every blizzard forum has and will continue to be operated.

Yea and 90% of the time as soon as you say something needs change or you have a great idea with hundreds of likes, you get your thread closed and directed to post your thoughts on another thread that has 90 down votes on it.

And then you have the devs who come on here to respond to stuff but 90% of the time its on crap such as "what was your fav game when growing up?" instead of commenting on real issues with the game.
They have enough people, they just hate this game.

Compare the Overwatch playerbase to Diablo's, WoW's, Starcraft's, or Warcraft's. The communities for those games are downright SAINTLY compared to Overwatch's.

Was there ever a developer video released addressing TOXICITY in Starcraft? No, of course not.

Blizzard hates the community for this game and supports it begrudgingly out of duty. They go so far as to troll their own playerbase with outrageous buffs (100% Mercy pickrate??).
09/27/2017 06:52 PMPosted by hasher22
Blizzard earning millions of dollars in PROFIT, billions in revenue yet they can't afford to hire more people.

To be honest, I heard that Blizzard is a stressful place to work for in the first place, the culture is bad apparently as well. It aint no google.
Blizzard seems to be about who you know and who's a "good ol' boy".
Nah, they are too busy spreading political propaganda in zarya's comic.
They are actually completely full, it's just that most of them are down in the building-sized vault, tasked with counting that sweet, sweet, limited time event lootbox monneeeeyyyyy.
Damn there are a few very insightful posts here.
09/26/2017 05:43 PMPosted by Amo
Most of the complaints here do not justify an immediate blue response..if any response at all...just because the vocal minority that make these posts declare something about the game is unsatisfactory, does not mean they're correct.

Agreed. Most of the buffs and nerfs thread arefull of crap