I Climbed Silver to Diamond - MMR Is Broken Explanation

Competitive Discussion
I'm currently low diamond, I was low silver at the end of season 6. The system is categorically broken to the point I did an experiment to see how I could climb by changing when and what heroes I play depending on what kind of streak I was on.

I literally climbed 1500SR in a week by bottoming out the hidden MMR when I saw there were forced loss streaks, and then playing my actual main when I finally got a win on my alt hero.

09/01/2017 08:52 PMPosted by NoxiousFox
Blizzard enforces a 50/50 win rate. When I'm on my main zarya, I usually get paste eating or throwing teammates. When I play bastion for about 2 days straight, never swapping, my SR is usually still less than 100sr away from when I was playing zarya carrying, and the win rate on bastion is less than 50%. I can TOTALLY tell I get hard carry teammates and the easiest new player red team if I play bastion enough through a "smurf test" the game applies after I swap away from zarya for a few hours.

I figured out that one can theoretically climb by swapping to a hero character that has bad win rates, then after their MMR softens for a few days, swap back to their main. Once the loss streak starts just swap back to the off meta hero to re-soften the hidden MMR.

I mean, I kinda stumbled on this because I got tired of playing a hero that is null since it requires healers and dps to not be trash. I just play bastion to have fun when not playing my other characters, but this matchmaker pattern is totally RIGGED, and now we know how to RIG IT OURSELVES.

07/24/2017 02:10 AMPosted by TurboJohn
If the SR system is so good then why are there rigged gateway matches to the next tier?

I've been that gatekeeper, not intentionally, but I can tell when there's a high gold team almost to plat and it brings me in, and there's like 1 really good gold rank person and 1 thrower on red team.

Essentially if you overperform you get trolls, so the only way to climb is to play heroes marked as poor picks, to reset being given trolls, until you start winning again.
I mean, I can't be the only Gold Portrait who has noticed if you pick what the system deems as a "tilt" pick, you suddenly stop getting trolls after a small number of losses? It 100% kills the loss streak much sooner than if you played on your carry main almost always.
OR you actually are doing better.
this is one of the tricks i used to get out of bronze tbh. then to get into gold i played my !@# off mercy 2.0 & soldier. you have to game the system. it sucks.
11/09/2017 01:26 PMPosted by Sulack

Gold Portrait over level 1200. I haven't improved much lately.

Edit: Got downvoted for pointing out I had a LOOOOOOOT of hours in OW way before this experiment started.
If you check my profile, you'll see that this is the first season I've played Bastion. I did exactly what was described here when I was down to 1700s to help my son climb. I would Zen / Lucio until we started to hit ridiculous games, then I would swap Bastion to compensate for a lack of DPS. Turns out, I noticed the same match making patterns described here. Now I have an almost even amount of time on Zen and Bastion and I've climbed back to gold pretty easy in a few days and still on the way up (I hope).
In their quest to punish smurfs and un-tilt underperformers, they basically made comp quick play that ignores skill.
11/09/2017 01:36 PMPosted by Sulack
11/09/2017 01:34 PMPosted by NoxiousFox
In their quest to punish smurfs and un-tilt underperformers, they basically made comp quick play that ignores skill.
Im gunna call bull!@#$.

I have 3 accounts. All of them have placed within 300 SR of each other. You will not stay in Diamond if you are not a diamond player.

If you are not a lying sack of **** please post the accounts here.

This account is diamond and was silver at the end of S6. I'm not talking about alts, I'm talking about this very one.

I'm having a little trouble understanding. Please look at my profile and tell me how I would make this work.
11/09/2017 01:37 PMPosted by HeavyArms195

I'm having a little trouble understanding. Please look at my profile and tell me how I would make this work.

It only works if you actually can perform well to begin with. The system is just glitched and keeps you in elo hell to carry unwinnable games to "prove" yourself. You basically have to unglitch it yourself, but you need to be good to still climb.

You have to have a sixth sense for the game giving you unbalanced teams (when you've taken yourself out as a factor) to know when to play the alt hero.
11/09/2017 01:27 PMPosted by NoxiousFox
11/09/2017 01:26 PMPosted by Sulack

Gold Portrait over level 1200. I haven't improved much lately.

Edit: Got downvoted for pointing out I had a LOOOOOOOT of hours in OW way before this experiment started.

It says that you were 2508SR at level 1143, not sure if you were higher which you could be before you decided to intentionally throw games to hit silver. My guess is that you were mid platinum then tilted so you decide to "prove" the system is broken. If I didn't suck mechanically I would be stuck mid masters, but I'm currently around 2800ish because I suck with my left hand. I'm mechanically at the bronze, I'm working to improve, but not sure how long it will take to get back to mid masters.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

This account is diamond and was silver at the end of S6. I'm not talking about alts, I'm talking about this very one.
Imma just Overbuff it myself.

All of your averages that matter have improved. Throwing games till you are "Smufing" then working your !@# off to win is not you playing the system. All it says is that you deranked to play with trash players, won a ton of games against those trash players, got to a high, hit a ceiling, and need an excuse as to why you are having trouble climbing any more.

gtfo with your victim mentality.

I hit my career high this week. I've never been diamond before this week as well. I also had 30 game loss streaks plenty of times, probably because I never stopped tryharding, so hidden mmr stayed too high.
Cool, time to abuse it to get easy Grandmaster.
11/09/2017 01:46 PMPosted by Sulack
11/09/2017 01:37 PMPosted by NoxiousFox

Imma just Overbuff it myself.

All of your averages that matter have improved. Throwing games till you are "Smufing" then working your !@# off to win is not you playing the system. All it says is that you deranked to play with trash players, won a ton of games against those trash players, got to a high, hit a ceiling, and need an excuse as to why you are having trouble climbing any more.

gtfo with your victim mentality.

Oh look the shills have arrived to try and save blizzard face again.
It has been confirmed MM is not fixed. Why do people keep bringing this up.

10/31/2017 09:29 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
It's not. Stop being so paranoid.
Something isn't right...you don't just go from Silver to Diamond in a week unless you were already a diamond player or even masters for that matter to rank up that quickly. I started in Silver Season 4 and have made it to mid plat after 3 seasons. I've improved greatly, it didn't take me a week to jump 3 ranks...it's taken 3 seasons.
11/09/2017 01:09 PMPosted by NoxiousFox
Essentially if you overperform you get trolls, so the only way to climb is to play heroes marked as poor picks, to reset being given trolls, until you start winning again.

The confirmation bias is strong with this one.
11/09/2017 02:39 PMPosted by Kaawumba
11/09/2017 01:09 PMPosted by NoxiousFox

The confirmation bias is strong with this one.
Basically, play better and play better people...once you start losing against "better" people the game is forcing you to lose. Darn, I can't play well against better players so it must be the system not letting me continue to rank up.