Lay off the Overwatch Team

General Discussion
And before anyone says im only defending them because i want mercy nerfed into oblivion: im not a supporter of the mercy changes. i wanna see mercy balanced, where shes viable without being OP or UP. heck, if it was up to me personally actually, we'd just bring back old mercy, i always thought she was more fun anyway.

You guys are demonizing and putting down the Devs and blizzard so much i think you forget, they're people, just like you. they care about this game just as much as any of you do. they were the ones who MADE this game, they probably care about it MORE than most of you.

They're people. they have ideas, and they aren't YOUR ideas, sorry. none of them are out to destroy the game, and if they are, i have the utmost confidence in the team to realize that and act on it. Insulting them, mocking them, screaming and shouting, and calling blizzard calling for Kaplan to be FIRED? that helps no one.

they had an idea. it was an idea we didn't agree with. what we do as a community is SAY that. we do not treat them like bullies in high school treat others. Back off and check yourself. if you have an opinion on the changes, put it in the forums, politely, and with level heads. No one came to the forums to watch you throw your imagined authority around
Aptly stated
Should probably change the title, sounds like you want to the fire them... (lay them off) Was a bit misleading.
10/05/2017 02:00 PMPosted by Narwhal
Should probably change the title, sounds like you want to the fire them... (lay them off) Was a bit misleading.

hmm. hadnt thought of that. but, know what, it gets peoples attention lol.
a lot of people forget, it is the PTR. changes might not even touch live.

the problem is that people assume changes are going to live because that's usually what blizz does.
so are we wrong to assume blizz will push it to live or is blizz wrong to push things to live so frequently in the past?
I feel like more transparent and frequent communication would help resolve this, even if it's a locked blue post that says "The Overwatch Team is going to be moving forward this these changes for X hero. Please give it a few weeks to settle in, and post constructive feedback in _____ thread."

I think a lot more communication is needed, and needed before the changes appear undocumented on the PTR. A lot of the frustrations and anger come from people feeling ignored and shunted off to a mega thread of 200+ pages with no blue posts whatsoever. For example, people still don't know if the Lucio wallriding speed nerf is intended or a bug.

The threads that do get a direct response from the developers are, incidentally, the ones they don't actually want to see. It's the trolls, the people hating on them, cursing at them. What they don't seem to get is that if those are the only posts that get honest blue responses, then of course people will make more of them.

It's like a toddler. If they ask for candy and get told no, but keep asking and the parent eventually gives in, all the kid will learn is "I just need to ask X many times and I'll get what I want!" That's what's happening to the forums as well. People gave, and continue to give, out constructive and neutral feedback, but it gets no responses. They get shunted into a mega thread of 200+ posts with no blue responses. People rage out, and they get a blue post within minutes.

It's not just on the community, it's not just on the developers, but it is creating a feedback loop that only one party has an actual chance of breaking.
This may be the first title that almost everyone can agree with.
10/05/2017 02:01 PMPosted by Reason97

Next-level forum clickbait.
10/05/2017 02:21 PMPosted by ElonMusk
10/05/2017 02:01 PMPosted by Reason97

Next-level forum clickbait.

hey, it isnt clickbait, its misunderstood lol
You guys are demonizing and putting down the Devs and blizzard so much i think you forget, they're people, just like you.
I actually doubt that, personally I think they are reptilians in human costumes.
I do think some people are just taking it too far and are being straight up toxic to the devs. However, I believe we should be able to speak out if we are upset about the state of the game and the direction the game is headed.

No, leave it, it's perfect.

If they lock or delete the thread from title alone it simply means they really don't read the actual contents and lock/delete from title alone.
To be honest, its kinda sad that post got a month forum suspension, when people who do things in game and say worse stuff get far less. Throw for 10 games straight? Probably no action taken against, at least a silence, at most a week suspension.

Say the N word, F word(the sexuality slur) repeatedly, probably silenced for a week at most. Criticize the balance team and recommend they be replaced? forum suspension for 30 days. Not to mention how unprofessional Jeffs response was.
I recommend putting an "of" between "off" and "the". Still looks like it says to lay them off. I do understand what you mean tho. People can be such bullies.
10/05/2017 06:09 PMPosted by Zenith
I recommend putting an "of" between "off" and "the". Still looks like it says to lay them off. I do understand what you mean tho. People can be such bullies.

eh. if people are gonna be all uptight over minterpretting the title, im not too worried about it.
I think everyone needs to take a step back and really look at the way the community has been acting on these forums. The way the Overwatch dev team has been treated is frankly embarrassing. There are some good discussion threads here, but they are the minority and the majority of people taking the time to post seem to want to jump on the bandwagon of whatever the hot complaint topic is. Before "dev team is unprofessional/why are you censoring us" it was "I will quit if the mercy changes go through" and before that it was a lot of "Genji is broken" and "DPS mains are ruining this game" and so on...

Trying to make a big deal out of Jeff's post and try to spin it as some appalling unprofessional outburst. Compare what he said side by side with any number of things that are said by dozens of posters here and it's not even close. So trying to make that case is to embody hypocrisy. Jeff tried to appeal to reason and explain how difficult and intimidating the forums can be, hoping people could see it from his and the dev team's perspective, but it seems that it's actually gotten WORSE since he made that post.

The way I see it, Blizzard right now is one of those parents with a spoiled brat of a kid throwing a tantrum in the supermarket. They've been doing everything with the best interest of their child at heart, but the child takes it all for granted and doesn't understand that (s)he should be grateful, instead just getting angry because he's not getting what he wants. He doesn't know any better. The difference of course is that this community should know better, since our average age isn't 4 or 5.

I really doubt anyone has taken the time to imagine being on the dev team and visiting these forums. Imagine if you were making the ideal changes you think should be made to the game, and putting out patch notes that those changes will be on the PTR, and then reading hundreds of posts like the ones we've seen, only they are relentlessly bashing the idea that you spent much of your time developing, and calling for you to be fired. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that's not a great experience.

Posting on these forums isn't a right, it's a privilege. I'm pretty sure Blizzard owns everything posted here, and they actually have the right to remove anything and everything they want, including locking/deleting threads, and suspending/banning users. People are acting way too entitled about what they think is okay to say about the game and the developers. Some of this stuff is likely actively hurting the reputation of the game. This is where I think Blizz is dropping the ball on forum moderation. Some have mentioned splitting the forum up into more subsections. That is one needed change. I also think they should be a lot less tolerant of what people post because people are getting away with a lot. Maybe we're hitting a turning point with the reply from Jeff to the person calling for firings. This community doesn't need that, and if hammers need to be dropped for people to get the message that it's not okay to attack and threaten the devs, and intentionally sew discontent, then that's what should happen, and I won't be complaining in the least. Maybe we can finally see positive and constructive posts become the norm here instead of the opposite.
Reason97 - Thank You
You are right on the money.

I think the core problem is the communities’ inability to critically evaluate the changes.
Everything is emotive, reactionary, falling into ad homonym based criticism.

“This is bad”
“Need to replace staff”
“Changes suck”
“Broken, OP, Neglected, Character favouritism, EG..”

How does any of this help the development team?

Very few of the communities’ members are articulating specifics, offering contrast, analysing what’s good or what works.

People’s posts are being deleted because they childish attacks or criticism, instead of well-reasoned polite arguments that explain with examples and reasons why they think what they do. The dev team can’t do anything with insults.