maybe as a parent you understand

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Highly Rated
I do a modest days work and try to indulge my kids in things they enjoy, best to my ability. I state this because here is my "rant" about lootboxes.
Could you please make skins purchasable via real money, even if high?
I bought a 20 lootboxes for Overwatch for my son today and all he wanted was the McCree skin. I watched anxiously while he got 4 legendary skins, only 2 for Halloween (Ana & Mei, neither he plays). He wants more boxes, but we just can't afford it, so I encouraged him to grind boxes (I even offered to play on his account for the rest of the event to help).
Here is the thing, I would be so very happy if you could talk to someone and maybe just make the skins cost $10 each or something. He only has like 1,340 coins and with the new limited dups he is getting little to no coins to amass for the skin.
I hope maybe in the future this could happen, but until then, sigh, I am going to go play Overwatch on .... console (my boy plays PS4).
I just want the chance to get something for my son without breaking the bank for it.
The only way to get the skins without loot boxes in the United States is if there were a Legal No Gambling law for a certain industry such as a game industry. That's more than likely never going to happen.

As a young adult myself, respectfully, they are only cosmetics and provide no positive or negative game changing advantages.
This is not beyond reason. I kinda feel bad for you OP, you should be able to just get your son the skin he wants without resulting to the loot-box lottery.

feelsbadman.jpg
If you are wanting to get something for your child it does not necessarily have to be from Overwatch and if you want it to be from Overwatch there are a lot of choices from Blizzards online store such as: Plushes, backpacks, shirts, jackets, hoodies, etc.
10/19/2017 04:33 PMPosted by Acestial
As a young adult myself, respectfully, they are only cosmetics and provide no positive or negative game changing advantages.

This is true, but kids are very different from us adults. They want something, but obviously you don't want your son/daughter playing video games all day everyday. Time restriction is required. But at the same time, you wish you could reward you kid with something they want (especially if they did something good; like grades).

I feel bad for this Dad, I really do. If his son is a good kid, he should be able to get him the skin he wants. It's no different than taking your kid to the toy store if they've done something good.
10/19/2017 04:37 PMPosted by RichC
10/19/2017 04:33 PMPosted by Acestial

This is true, but kids are very different from us adults. They want something, but obviously you don't want your son/daughter playing video games all day everyday. Time restriction is required. But at the same time, you wish you could reward you kid with something they want (especially if they did something good; like grades).

I feel bad for this Dad, I really do. If his son is a good kid, he should be able to get him the skin he wants. It's no different than taking your kid to the toy store if they've done something good.

I guess it's a parent thing, so I can't really relate, but I guess the next best option is the Blizzard store for Overwatch items; it's affordable and there are a lot of choices. It's not in-game cosmetics, but it's something.
I hear ya and I wish they would do it, but if one spent 20 bucks to get a specific skin and didn't get it, Blizzard will not price a specific skin for 10.

Id guess 40 would be the price,but that would be outrageous.

BTW, the McCree skin is the one I want too!
The thing with event loot boxes is that they return after a year. For children, it could be worth using this as a form of exercise to save up coins over time to purchase the skins that they want. Also there is an upcoming Christmas event that may be of your child's interest so this could be another option if anyone misses out on the Halloween event. Also realistically as a life lesson, sometimes you just can't get what you want on that moment but some saving up and some patients will have it's own reward for the next year when the event returns.
This is my biggest problem with the lootbox system. You can’t just buy what you want.

I’d actually spend more money if we could, as opposed to not spending money because we can’t.

10/19/2017 04:40 PMPosted by Vangel
The thing with event loot boxes is that they return after a year. For children, it could be worth using this as a form of exercise to save up coins over time to purchase the skins that they want. Also there is an upcoming Christmas event that may be of your child's interest so this could be another option if anyone misses out on the Halloween event. Also realistically as a life lesson, sometimes you just can't get what you want on that moment but some saving up and some patients will have it's own reward for the next year when the event returns.
Jeff said year 3 is new events so no, they’re not coming back.
It's a good life lesson for your kid to learn. You can't always get what you want.
I miss the ez currency days
The Randomized Drop Micro-transactions actually increase revenue for the Business instead of just letting you buy what you want. Since this is really Activision we are talking about I don't think they would let this change happen since it would lose money for their shareholders, which to them that's really all this game is about. Profit.
10/19/2017 04:41 PMPosted by alfislegend
It's a good life lesson for your kid to learn. You can't always get what you want.
Even after paying 20 bucks.

The real moral here is “gambling sucks”.
10/19/2017 04:40 PMPosted by HappyFeet
This is my biggest problem with the lootbox system. You can’t just buy what you want.

I’d actually spend more money if we could, as opposed to not spending money because we can’t.

when did he say that?
and im sure if the events themselves change the items will still be available in those lootboxes
10/19/2017 04:47 PMPosted by Tsukune713

...Jeff said year 3 is new events so no, they’re not coming back.

when did he say that?
and im sure if the events themselves change the items will still be available in those lootboxes
several, several months ago. Basically we wouldn’t see year 1-2 events until year 3-4 events ran.
10/19/2017 04:31 PMPosted by Godsego
I do a modest days work and try to indulge my kids in things they enjoy, best to my ability. I state this because here is my "rant" about lootboxes.
Could you please make skins purchasable via real money, even if high?
I bought a 20 lootboxes for Overwatch for my son today and all he wanted was the McCree skin. I watched anxiously while he got 4 legendary skins, only 2 for Halloween (Ana & Mei, neither he plays). He wants more boxes, but we just can't afford it, so I encouraged him to grind boxes (I even offered to play on his account for the rest of the event to help).
Here is the thing, I would be so very happy if you could talk to someone and maybe just make the skins cost $10 each or something. He only has like 1,340 coins and with the new limited dups he is getting little to no coins to amass for the skin.
I hope maybe in the future this could happen, but until then, sigh, I am going to go play Overwatch on .... console (my boy plays PS4).
I just want the chance to get something for my son without breaking the bank for it.

No. Absolutely not.

Then it'll be much more money for this game for cosmetics.

Your son should have enough tokens to purchase what he wants if he played Overwatch. I do not play this game like a job.. maybe 2-3 hours at a time with missing some nights. I still have 12k which is enough to buy 4 legendary event skins.

New events in addition to old ones.
They took a break this year from new events cuz of player fatigue from new event after new event. The halloween event will always come back like every event lol its just they'll make new events/tweak old ones to add stuff year-round
10/19/2017 04:43 PMPosted by HappyFeet
10/19/2017 04:41 PMPosted by alfislegend
Even after paying 20 bucks.

It's not gambling. Go into another corner Happyfeet. You always troll these forums with your crap. The kid could earn the skins by playing the game. He should learn that he needs to work towards things he wants to achieve.
10/19/2017 04:52 PMPosted by Tonberry
10/19/2017 04:43 PMPosted by HappyFeet
...Even after paying 20 bucks.

It's not gambling. Go into another corner Happyfeet. You always troll these forums with your crap. The kid could earn the skins by playing the game. He should learn that he needs to work towards things he wants to achieve.

Hey, I like the fellow poster HappyFeet.
This is so cute.
Give the man and his sons some free skins Jeff!