maybe as a parent you understand

General Discussion
Not unreasonable kind request, however..

..the problem is value. I don't mean a currency right now. The system as it is teaching not only the youngster about gamble, limits, motivation and patience believe or not which is a great lesson for parents too. Here is why:
    Gamble - you can only spend on lootboxes what you can effort or set as target

Limits - same as in the real world some things are rare and unique. If you give everything up for sale it loses it's value

Motivation - you have tought your child to earn it, that teaches determination

Patience - have you noticed? Those events repeat. There is always next year! From my personal experience, I've missed one spray on Genji during the first Summer Games - guess what? After second year I've got it all

I wish to your boy that he earns his McCree his skin this year because it will make him so happy. If not, chin up! Next year it will only be a 1000 and his aim will be much sharper :)
10/19/2017 05:05 PMPosted by DrSwordface
10/19/2017 04:51 PMPosted by Tonberry
I do not play this game like a job.. maybe 2-3 hours at a time with missing some nights. I still have 12k which is enough to buy 4 legendary event skins.

You do realize that is A LOT right?

If I understand what you're saying, you play this game 2-3 hours on most nights. For a single Video Game, that is a big time investment, especially if you've been playing that much for a long period.

actually that's not a lot... if you think it's a lot, you're not a gamer lol
OP's son needs to gitgud

(that or let your son play OW more so they have credits)
Just watch the princess bride with him, he'll love it because it's awesome. Make a point to highlight the scene when Inigo Montoya is fighting the Man in Black.

Inigo Montoya: "Who are you?"
Man in Black: "No one of consequence."
Inigo: "I must know."
Man in Black: "Get use to disappointment."
And Inigo shrugs accepting his point and life goes on.

From then on the Man in Black will be a hero in his life and whenever he gets overly attached to something you can always say "Get use to disappointment."
10/19/2017 04:31 PMPosted by Godsego
I do a modest days work and try to indulge my kids in things they enjoy, best to my ability. I state this because here is my "rant" about lootboxes.
Could you please make skins purchasable via real money, even if high?
I bought a 20 lootboxes for Overwatch for my son today and all he wanted was the McCree skin. I watched anxiously while he got 4 legendary skins, only 2 for Halloween (Ana & Mei, neither he plays). He wants more boxes, but we just can't afford it, so I encouraged him to grind boxes (I even offered to play on his account for the rest of the event to help).
Here is the thing, I would be so very happy if you could talk to someone and maybe just make the skins cost $10 each or something. He only has like 1,340 coins and with the new limited dups he is getting little to no coins to amass for the skin.
I hope maybe in the future this could happen, but until then, sigh, I am going to go play Overwatch on .... console (my boy plays PS4).
I just want the chance to get something for my son without breaking the bank for it.

There si a good chance that the reason they dont have direct buy is that it would give a monetary value to the items in the loot chest, thus making it explicitely gambling. Let me explain:

Suppose you go to Vegas, and on the strip you see a slot machine. Insert a dollar, pull the handle, and youll have a chance to win a 2018 Lexus worth $35k. This of course is a gamble, as you are hoping to turn 1$ into an object worth 35k. This is only possible because there is an objective or close to objective market value for the Lexus.

Now, lets go back to loot boxes. Is it gambling? That depends. For the person looking for a specific skin, nothing has value except the skin they want. So if they dont get the skin, its a loss. But what about the person who doesnt care what they get. Everything for them is a plus. The value of what is won is completely subjective to the person playing, as there is no market value for any item.

Should they add a direct buy system, the contents then have a direct market value. This could then turn it into gambling, which would cause other problems.
10/19/2017 05:09 PMPosted by SǾMBRUH
OP's son needs to gitgud

(that or let your son play OW more so they have credits)
Nice bait.
@everyone saying Lootboxes are a form of gambling, please tell me you mean that as in "game of chance," and not "the slots at Vegas," because I'm absolutely sick of people throwing around the most general definition of gambling as though it justifies their dislike of a system that honestly could be much, much worse.

I understand wanting to buy individual skins, but honestly Lootbox systems like Overwatch's are like Trading Cards. You buy a few packs and hope to get what you want, but regardless you walk away with a larger collection. I would honestly just buy him a few lootboxes and hope for the best. If he doesn't get the specific skin that he wants, it'll be a good lesson that you don't always get what you want. I didn't get the Witch Mercy skin last year, and I haven't gotten either it or the Cultist skin for Zenyatta out of the free boxes I've ground so far.

If you want scummy lootbox systems, may I direct you towards Battlefront 2, TF2 and CS:GO.
I do a modest days work and try to indulge my kids in things they enjoy, best to my ability. I state this because here is my "rant" about lootboxes.
I bought a 20 lootboxes for Overwatch for my son today and all he wanted was the McCree skin. I watched anxiously while he got 4 legendary skins, only 2 for Halloween (Ana & Mei, neither he plays). He wants more boxes, but we just can't afford it, so I encouraged him to grind boxes (I even offered to play on his account for the rest of the event to help).
Here is the thing, I would be so very happy if you could talk to someone and maybe just make the skins cost $10 each or something. He only has like 1,340 coins and with the new limited dups he is getting little to no coins to amass for the skin.
I hope maybe in the future this could happen, but until then, sigh, I am going to go play Overwatch on .... console (my boy plays PS4).
I just want the chance to get something for my son without breaking the bank for it.

This would be a good idea and for the rest of Halloween I hope your son gets the McCree skin!
10/19/2017 05:10 PMPosted by Blam320
@everyone saying Lootboxes are a form of gambling, please tell me you mean that as in "game of chance," and not "the slots at Vegas," because I'm absolutely sick of people throwing around the most general definition of gambling as though it justifies their dislike of a system that honestly could be much, much worse.

I understand wanting to buy individual skins, but honestly Lootbox systems like Overwatch's are like Trading Cards. You buy a few packs and hope to get what you want, but regardless you walk away with a larger collection. I would honestly just buy him a few lootboxes and hope for the best. If he doesn't get the specific skin that he wants, it'll be a good lesson that you don't always get what you want. I didn't get the Witch Mercy skin last year, and I haven't gotten either it or the Cultist skin for Zenyatta out of the free boxes I've ground so far.

If you want scummy lootbox systems, may I direct you towards Battlefront 2, TF2 and CS:GO.
Tf2? No, I’d say Overwatch is worse.

If I want a hotdog hat, I buy a hot dog hat. In overwatch I have to pray to RNGesus i get lucky and get a hot dog hat.
Alot of you have had amazing comments, and let me addres a few; He is of course fine if he doesn't get the skin (I want him to have it), He does play Overwatch often, but often with his mom online (we are not together and he sees Overwatch as a chance to visit her), but perhaps not as much as some people do so he doesn't have a lot of time ingame.
I want everyone in this post to know my son has no idea I posted this, he is a good kid and maybe I am just a selfish dad. It is just me wanting to have a chance to get him something he wants. I am not demanding, nor do I think I deserve it. I only wanted to ask for the chance.
Isn't this a decent way to teach your kid, "no, you can't always get what you want."

"you can't always get whachuu wahh-ant
you can't uhhlwayz get wa-chuu waantttt"
Blizzard wholeheartedly believes if that they ever let up on the RNG or let players get that carrot that they would go under.
I hope you get your skin, and I've long suggested that they be purchasable with real money. $10 a skin is a great deal if you only care about one skin. That said, the current lootbox system is absolutely miles better than when dupes dropped continuously, so long as you collect your arcade lootboxes each week, and I would discourage anyone from wanting it back, as it is missing the forest for the trees.

I can not describe how amazing it is to not get dupe after dupe after dupe worth 200 credits, The last 10 base skins dropped for me instead of costing 10,000 credits. That's worth mentioning because skins 11-20 took almost 50 total legendary drops to buy with credits. The new system rewards you with continuous play. Only event skins can drop for me during events now because I have all base skins, so I will never need to buy another loot box.

Finally, i think the downvoted guy has a point. It is a good chance to teach a lesson. I completely understand that you are a father and you just want your kid to be happy, but it is never too early to learn that we don't always get what we want right away, but that if he still cares in a year the skin will be available again and he will surely have enough credits to buy it if he continues to play.

Again, I do agree that single skins should be purchusable, though.

Not to make light of your situation, but I'm a college student, who can't afford any meaningful amount of lootboxes. However, I did manage to grind close to 40 of them. Not only I didn't get any event legendaries, but I also didn't even get any event epic skins, nor any standard legendaries in any of these lootboxes. I got probably over 10 different halloween Pachimari player icons, but not a single event(or standard) legendary or epic skin...in about 40 loot boxes-this means that even if I got the biggest loot box package I could get, I still probably wouldn't get a single legendary, event legendary and likely not even epic event skin.
I feel like this was a prank someone made, that they forgot to revert...
This is ultimately why people dislike loot box systems so much. We could have the best of both worlds -- direct microtransactions to buy the things we want, and randomised loot boxes for those who enjoy the thrill of gambling. But because this would only make the publisher a huge amount of money instead of an absurd amount of money, it's deemed not good enough, and the consumer experience has to suffer in the name of corporate greed.

I would be more than happy to purchase the skins I want to support Overwatch and its ongoing development, since it's a fantastic game and it deserves it. But because they chose the psychologically manipulative route rather than the consumer-friendly one, I refuse to spend a cent.
If you're on Xbox, pm me the login info, I'll play for credits and achievements. I have enough credits to buy everything anyway.
What is the PSN OP?

I'll gift you 20 loot boxes

A stranger did something nice for me today and I'll pay it forward.
10/19/2017 04:52 PMPosted by Tonberry
10/19/2017 04:43 PMPosted by HappyFeet
...Even after paying 20 bucks.

The real moral here is “gambling sucks”.

It's not gambling. Go into another corner Happyfeet. You always troll these forums with your crap. The kid could earn the skins by playing the game. He should learn that he needs to work towards things he wants to achieve.

Working nonstop to slowly gain currency at a snail's pace =/= working.