To the people getting mad because of the focus to OWL

General Discussion
I see on the forums a lot of people getting mad because there seems to be a focus on OWL from the OW team.

I think focusing on OWL in this time in OW's life is a good decision.
This is why:
If OWL becomes a success that means a lot of money and attention on Overwatch.
More money means that the team can focus on the game more because if OWL is a succes more people will play the game and that means that probably more people will work on the game.
That's probably accurate actually, if Overwatch League is a success Blizz will be more likely to keep pumping in money

It sucks for the now, could be better in the future
No thanks. I'll admit I was stupid an was tricked into buying a ESPORT, NOT THIS DUMPSTER FIRE they say is a FUN GAME. nuff said.
10/29/2017 11:58 AMPosted by Kryptsm
That's probably accurate actually, if Overwatch League is a success Blizz will be more likely to keep pumping in money

It sucks for the now, could be better in the future

If it's a succes OWL will be a gold mine for OW and Blizz
10/29/2017 12:00 PMPosted by ZanJoz
No thanks. I'll admit I was stupid an was tricked into buying a ESPORT, NOT THIS DUMPSTER FIRE they say is a FUN GAME. nuff said.

How can you get "tricked" into playing for 1000 levels.
[

10/29/2017 12:02 PMPosted by Momaq

And if it doesn't bring too much attention? They'll focus on it more right? They've sunk enough money into it they'll do everything in their power to keep it alive right?
10/29/2017 12:06 PMPosted by Honchkrow
[

And if it doesn't bring too much attention? They'll focus on it more right? They've sunk enough money into it they'll do everything in their power to keep it alive right?

I mean there is massive organizations and a lot of money in play.
These people didn't decide to pay 20mil to enter just because they could. Those are financial experts. I'm confident that it will be a success.
They earn an insane amount of money with each event, they don't need more money for anything with this game.

If you think that more money = more/faster content...all I can say is that you're sadly mistaken. Blizzard is simply being purposefully slow with their content delivery, possibly due to wanting to deliver a quality>quantity approach, though personally I'm sure that the speed of their content has turned into a snail vs tortoise race, it's far much slower than it should be for a game that turns Blizzard such a huge profit.

Yep just like making billions in sales on the game. We see where that got us... Poor balance and bugs everywhere so they could focus on OWL. I can't believe that any of the money that they make from OWL will benefit the non-pro level play at all.
10/29/2017 12:04 PMPosted by Momaq

When u want to buy skins an other content but its locked behind TIME AN GAMBLE walls yet the company doesn't WANT/NEED MORE MONEY than they already have? also they only sell credits in china an NOW KOREA!!

I'm just a stupid animal that keeps chasing the cosmetics that blizz can sell them for real money. Make even more money than this farce of AN ESPORT. Which blizz has failed 3 times before with ESPORTs thrid time is not the charm. :( more like THRID STRIKE YOUR OUT!
While what you say is true, it would (and already is) change the game dramatically in a way that is a lot less fun to play, but rather make it more fun to watch. For the large amount of people that bought this game because it's not just another call of duty style shooter it makes us want to stop playing. Some of us like playing tanks and healers and being able to have an impact. But having strong tanks and healers actually slows the pace of the game down, which isn't as fun to watch. They want to see tracers and genjis wiping teams, not a skilled Ana being able to fend one off.

But hey, they already got our money. If they just maintain the game and keep it fun their yearly revenue will dwindle a bit. Why would they accept that if they can start bringing in massive amounts of ad revenue?
10/29/2017 12:04 PMPosted by Momaq
10/29/2017 12:00 PMPosted by ZanJoz

By falling victim to the epitome of insanity.
10/29/2017 12:10 PMPosted by Momaq
10/29/2017 12:06 PMPosted by Honchkrow
[

I mean there is massive organizations and a lot of money in play.
These people didn't decide to pay 20mil to enter just because they could. Those are financial experts. I'm confident that it will be a success.

yep pouring money into things like this always works, it's why the XFL is so popular these days.
LOL,you think Blizzard will care about non-pro players? all the money from OWL will go to OWL, none of it will be used to improve the game
Even if it does give Blizzard more money, there's no guarentee that they'll re-invest a significant portion of it into Overwatch's development. Just look at our current state despite having something like 30 million copies sold and several billion dollars of revenue...

That money is likely going into offshore bank accounts or something of that sort.
10/29/2017 12:11 PMPosted by Crash
They earn an insane amount of money with each event, they don't need more money for anything with this game.

If you think that more money = more/faster content...all I can say is that you're sadly mistaken. Blizzard is simply being purposefully slow with their content delivery, possibly due to wanting to deliver a quality>quantity approach, though personally I'm sure that the speed of their content has turned into a snail vs tortoise race, it's far much slower than it should be for a game that turns Blizzard such a huge profit.

Define earning an insane amount of money with each event. I was not aware they had disclosed any of their earnings? Besides you also don't take into account the amount that they have to invest into each event.

If you take a look into why they would want to make OW an esports is a long term goal and not short term. I would not even be surprised if it was not profitable at this point but the investment has the potential of being extremely profitable in the future.

As for the speed of new content, you also have to remember that all of this new content is free. The only thing that is charged is of you want to buy loot boxes for cosmetic content that you can get by just playing the game. Why not just appreciate the fact that all of this content is at no additional cost instead of complaining that they aren't giving you enough free stuff fast enough. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.
10/29/2017 12:21 PMPosted by Invoker
By falling victim to the epitome of insanity

Having Psychotic depression doesn't help either, but I'm not Blizzard selling a reworded definition of gambling to teens. :)
10/29/2017 11:57 AMPosted by Momaq
I see on the forums a lot of people getting mad because there seems to be a focus on OWL from the OW team.

I think focusing on OWL in this time in OW's life is a good decision.
This is why:
More money means that the team can focus on the game more because if OWL is a succes more people will play the game and that means that probably more people will work on the game.

Overwatch has brought in over a billion as such they have plenty of funds to operate for a while yet without significant loss of profits.

OWL is already bringing in around 240 mil over the next year. Instead of seeing an influx of new content we are seeing development time shifting over to OWL content. Sure, you can't just toss developers at a game but, you probably can throw artists at one and at least get skins going that aren't attached to an event. I think it'd now been a year since we got skins that were not tied to an event or hero introduction.

Additionally, if it does succeed it will potentially cripple balance changes(You don't want to do anything that could harm the golden goose) and shift the way the game functions( as the influx of players from OWL will likely differ from the games existing player base when it comes to priorities).

Smart people with money make mistakes all the time. I'm not sure how into detail I can go without hitting code of conduct violations (Releasing any real-life information about other players or Blizzard Entertainment employees) but you can find various mistakes that individuals at Blizzard, Activision, and their OWL team investors have made.
More money means that the team can focus on the game more

How much money would be enough for them to make more significant improvements and add more content? Because it's made more than $1 *billion* at the very least already.

if OWL is a succes more people will play the game and that means that probably more people will work on the game.

With how much money it makes already, I'm not sure why they haven't expanded their development team already.

Personally, I don't think bringing Overwatch into the E-sports scene is a bad thing- just that the timing is bad. Overwatch never struck me as a finished game. Basic features still need working on- spectator mode and ranked being an example. Plus, we still need more supports and tanks.

So it comes across as negligent to people when so much time and money is being invested into e-sports when development for the game is already so slow. A better move to me, would be to work on the base game and get it to where people aren't as frustrated with it, then start working on e-sports. Because the e-sports scene won't be a success if people are just growing more frustrated with the game over time- instead of tuning in they're likely to just stop playing and move on to other games.

But regardless, OWL is still happening, so it'll be interesting to see how that goes and how it impacts the game overtime.
I just worry they'll focus on OWL, which will crash and burn.

I personally don't find it exciting, like at all. Maybe it will be, once they put the time and effort into it, but they're going to HAVE to make it exciting to watch Healers and Tanks and give them some air-time when commenting on games.

Seriously. ONLY watching a Tracer or Genji (or DPS) all game long is NOT exciting for Tank and Healer mains. The game is built to be a team game, which includes both tanks and healers, but if Blizzard only focuses on DPS, I fear they are neglecting 2/3 of the entire player base, and essentially setting them up for failure.