My thoughts on the Junkrat ultimate known as "RIP-Tire"

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
Players saying this is an issue = OWL players, 4500SR plus
Players saying this is not an issue, I can shoot it down = gold widow mains

As someone of average SR (relative to aforementioned extremes) I personally find it incredibly broken, and incredibly easy to farm. Between his double mine bursting, and 1-2 riptires per team fight (that ez get 1-3 picks), I think something needs to be done.

With next PTR if they fix Mercy, Ana, and Junkrat we'll all have a very exciting game to play again.
Well, apparently OW pros isn't good enough to shoot a tire,

while any decent bronze player doesn't have any problem with it.*

*according to Junkrat mains
Maybe consider toning down the mine damage as well. An AOE ability that easy to land with two charges is annoying.
10/31/2017 11:01 PMPosted by super
Hello Activision Blizzard. I would like to write to you today to discuss the current state of Junkrat's ability commonly referred to as "RIP-Tire." This ability is regarded as one of the most unbalanced and not fun abilities to play against. There are several reasons for this. One being that the tire moves incredibily quickly and can turn on a dime. This makes it basically luck to hit with projectiles and extremely hard to hit with hitscan, even among the top level. Also, junkrat builds his tire extremely quickly, which is not good for an ability which is considered overpowered or good. For example, Zarya's ultimate ability known as "Graviton Surge," builds slowly because of how powerful it is. Lastly, an issue not brought up often but is very important in my personal opinion is that tire can ride along roofs. This is very broken because the tire can LOS(Line of Sight) the players and gives it plenty of cover. In addition, when it rides along the roof, it is silent and you do not hear the engine of the tire like you would when it is riding along the ground. I hope you guys take these points into consideration and make some changes to the ultimate ability. Thank you for reading Activision Blizzard : )
EDIT: One final piece of feedback I forgot about Junkrat RIP-Tire is the range of the explosion. I feel the radius feels too large and seems often you are very far away from the tire yet it still kills you. The example I have here is spectated from the pov of a different player, and I feel that this is good evidence that the explosion radius is quite large: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6CMFbvXBDA

Pro players should be way more on the forums, expressing themselves. This is insightfull and helps non- pro players to understand the balance better.
11/02/2017 08:43 PMPosted by RainFloodIce
He's completely immobile while rip tire is active and it's a killable ult just practice aiming

A platinum mercy main telling professional players to practice aiming... What a world.
11/01/2017 12:26 AMPosted by Genji
I know its probably just because I'm new to Overwatch and I need to better myself as a player, But I also have problems with hitting the tire.
- season 1 top 500
- level 900 account
- "new"
???
10/31/2017 11:14 PMPosted by train
I agree 100%, Rip-Tire is extremely easy to farm (especially with mercy being so meta) and you are always guaranteed a kill by wiggling your mouse like a spastic and exploding it in the general vicinity of the enemy. I've seen many streams where even pros have trouble killing tire unless you are a Mccree or Junkrat capable of 1shotting the tire with your own AOE Ability. For us boys in the Plat-Gold area, the tire almost always guarantees a 3k+, it's extremely difficult to hit whilst also being the fastest charging ult in the game at the moment.
First your not in plat-gold and your a mcree main
I know its probably just because I'm new to Overwatch and I need to better myself as a player, But I also have problems with hitting the tire.
You have 289 hours with genji... and you call yourself "New"
11/03/2017 06:01 AMPosted by jag
- season 1 top 500
- level 900 account
- "new"
???

Have you never heard or seen someone be sarcastic or joke?
Just slightly nerf the charge rate of JR's ultimate from all sources, reduce mine damage to 90, and adjust trap damage so that trap + mine combo can still one shot most Supports/DPS ( 200 damage ).

Mines provide so much utility as well, they don't need to deal over 100 burst damage each. Prevent Rip-Tire from hanging on to certain areas that it shouldn't be ( some roof ledges as OP mentioned ), and maybe ensure that it's still making enough noise when it isn't grounded. There's no reason that it should remain silent in any situation IMO, especially since it's mobile enough. Aside from that you could start with a really minor adjustment to the movement speed to see how it feels, nothing major just marginal so maybe about 5-10% reduction at most.
11/03/2017 05:30 AMPosted by Zzzzzzzzz

Pro players should be way more on the forums, expressing themselves. This is insightfull and helps non- pro players to understand the balance better.

Most of the good discussion from pros occurs privately, and on the pro discord I believe. Some good discussion also occurs on the reddit competitive overwatch forum. Worth a look.
As xQc said in his stream too, the tire really has no physics. It can roll left and right and left and right so quickly that you can't shoot it. I've tried that after hearing about it and literally no one has been able to shoot that thing.
Junkrat can be absolutely ridiculous sometimes.
As others have mentioned....the duration is too long.
The problem is the combination of how hard it is to destroy combined with how often he has it ready. It is an ultimate, after all, so it shouldn't be easy to kill with a few shots, but he has it so often that it's worth using to one-shot healers every time they get back from spawn.

All I can do as a healer is hide when I hear the thing and pray that he doesn't see me, because I can neither destroy nor outrun it. If he drives it around outside for 10 seconds and my team can't kill it, that's 10 seconds I have to hide and do nothing or risk being seen, which is about half the effect of running back from spawn just for not hitting me.
I still have PTSD from the beta when it had more HP and a bigger radius/less falloff. It was so easy to wipe a team that didn't spread out. Though before the recent buffs it was the worst damaging ult in the game imo... just needs to be tuned down a tiny bit.
2 months ago, it was statistically the worst ultimate in the entire game. Now it's decent. Oh no, the horror. Cut it's ult charge rate, fine. But don't nerf it after it's been viable for only 2 months.
Jesus, the explosion radius on that Rip-Tyre is ridiculous. I knew it was bigger than the animation but that McCree was almost two explosion animations away. I've felt that his explosion was bigger than the animation shown but here lies the proof. I feel as though Blizz should work on their animations and hitboxes,this isn't the only on-going hitbox/animation problem they have. Also, with just how much damage Junkrat dishes out, his Ultimate Percentage charge should be brought back a bit, about 3-5% sounds fair.
O wow. People are seriously complaining about an ult being OP?

Jesus.
When i play hog I just hook the tire an won't kill a almost full hp hog
11/03/2017 01:46 AMPosted by James
Maybe consider toning down the mine damage as well. An AOE ability that easy to land with two charges is annoying.

You don't play Junk because the first mine always pushes the target away from Junk, making it hard to kill with the second mine. It's not, one mine to the face than the other.