Moira vs. Mercy

General Discussion
11/03/2017 03:50 PMPosted by ActiveHate
Is it just me, or does Moira seem to be more of an off healer? I already don't like the idea of having a resource meter on her heals, but if her raw healing potential isn't as good as Mercy and Ana, why pick her? It seems like they did some type of Zenyatta/Symmetra hybrid here, but I sincerely doubt the damage potential is anywhere near what Symmetra is capable of.

Don't get me wrong, I will still play her since it's a support hero. However, I think her heals need to be on par with Mercy or Ana to even become relevant.

They did say Moira stole ideas of her abilities from existing Overwatch Members. (fact)
I did the math, and whilst Mercy heals about 60 per second, Moira (based our tests) healed for about 100 a second (direct healing, not the healing orb). Not certain if that's entirely offset by the damage she has to deal to regain bionic energy, but I think it very well might be. In short, I believe Moira is a more effective healer than Mercy, PLUS she does a lot more damage in the same time that Mercy heals.
Is it just me, or does Moira seem to be more of an off healer? I already don't like the idea of having a resource meter on her heals, but if her raw healing potential isn't as good as Mercy and Ana, why pick her? It seems like they did some type of Zenyatta/Symmetra hybrid here, but I sincerely doubt the damage potential is anywhere near what Symmetra is capable of.

Don't get me wrong, I will still play her since it's a support hero. However, I think her heals need to be on par with Mercy or Ana to even become relevant.
Her heals are fine. If it got buffed, she’d be op and then blizz would nerf the wrong thing. Plus her heals charge up fast and safe so it’s fine. Also she has 2 other backup heals, orb and ult.
You're forgetting her orb. Most people do. With her heal orb she has massive burst healing potential.

I didn't like the resource meter at first but it has made me consider how, who, and when I'm healing more than I ever did with Mercy. I am moving between people more, peppering the healing around rather than blasting, and being more immediately effective.

Moira's strength will come out in time, that is the strength of her healing once dedicated healers really get comfortable.

My biggest problem is wanting to use damage orbs over healing orbs, and I know that if I can break my own bad habit it will up my healing dramatically.
Moira is probably the most situational healer. She has no long range healing and she can not get to high ground. Her fade just doesn't get her to places fast enough, she is kind of like mcree in that regard, once you are off the high ground you are staying off the high ground till next fight. But she isn't a dps she is a healer and she needs to get to people to heal them which creates problems on many maps. Gibraltar 2nd point is probably the worst offender, if your only healer is moira, good luck getting heals on top of the ship.

Thus she works best on more flat maps and she fits better into less mobile comps because they are more likely to stay in her range and stick together, more tanky/less mobile comps are comps she can solo heal. She can not solo heal dive because they will always be separated, far away and on high ground.
In one of my first Quick Play matches as Moira, I got 11,000 healing done (40% team damage). Moira is an incredibly capable primary healer. In fact, it might even be worthy of a nerf.
In broad terms, the magnitude of Moira's healing is likely to be similar to Ana's.

They will likely have similar average healing numbers (indeed, they have similar numbers on QP right now). Both have tremendous burst healing potential, but their healing is held back a bit by inconsistency (Moira because of the resource meter; Ana because aiming is hard). Both can outheal a Mercy if the team runs a tanky deathball.

Obviously, there are lots of differences in how their healing works. But in terms of healing magnitude and what situations their healing works best in, I think Moira and Ana will prove to be similar.
11/03/2017 03:56 PMPosted by COOKIEDOUGH
Well, Jeff said that her name is spelled " O P A F " and I dont think he would say that without a reason.
Comic relief seemed to be his main reason :). Nobody knew her damage capabilities at the time of Moira's announcement.
I can't wait to see how she plays in comp
Whatever moira is, she's super good at healing, and keeps her team alive fairly well in a deathball situation
She's more of a burst healer. It's hard for her to consistently heal if she's being hindered by barriers and the like to build up her resource meter again. Really like having a Mercy, Ana or Lucio to ease the healing stress.