McCree is a Glass Cannon

General Discussion
Disclaimer: I don't think McCree is underpowered, just outshined in his current state. McCree is a very fun hero to play, and I enjoy play him a lot. However, it feels like some of the other heroes do his job better.

He is a glass cannon. McCree does amazing damage at close range. However, he has no self heal or escape for when he gets in trouble like the other ninety-nine percent of the cast. This makes him quite the glass cannon. Possible solutions: give him better mid range damage so he will play like more of a mid range DPS, or replace his roll with a better movement ability.

Other heroes do his job better. There are a lot of close-mid range DPS heroes in the game, and they all have better movement abilities or some form of self heal. This makes it so that they are more reliable than McCree. They may do less damage, but they are a million times more survivable. This makes them more reliable. Possible solutions: give him better mid range damage so he will play like more of a mid range DPS, or replace his roll with a better movement ability.

His damage drop-off happens too quickly. McCree feels much more like a close range DPS, which I doubt is what was intended for his role. This is because his damage drop-off happens way too fast. Possible Solution: give him better mid range damage so he will play like more of a mid range DPS.

Hopefully this post adequately explained McCree's flaws. I really hope the dev team shows McCree some love and fixes at least one of these issues and makes it so that McCree is on par with the rest of the close-mid range DPS. Conclusion: McCree is good, but not as good as the other close-mid range DPS.
McCree always gets overshadowed for some reason.
His flashbang has bugs that only those who've played as him for a considerable amount of time will experience from time to time, since a person using him once in a while will feel that its working as intended, which is incorrect.
Playing McCree at close range is almost as good as a death sentence, having mentioned his insanely quick damage drop off and his only source of damage being his slow shooting, quickly damage dropping badass revolver, PeaceKeeper.
His roll is a handy tool no doubt, but extremely underwhelming when in the heat of battle.
His flashbang.
WHY does it have a 10s cooldown? Not to mention that it has a mind of its own similar to Genji's and Hanzo's wallclimb abilities and decides itself when it wants to work and when it wants to screw you over.
McCree was buffed earlier recently and it came to his Flashbang where targets momentum is supposed to get completely removed once they get hit by the flashbang, hence stopping them in their tracks.
Then why is Genji able to dash 7/10 times through my flashbang and then get stunned Behind MY back, putting me at a far worse disadvantage than him?
Not to mention that I cant use another one of my Flashbangs for another 10s in which any Genji is able to dispose of foes easily within that time frame.
He is glass, but considering his consistent damage output per second, he isn't cannon.
I just don't understand why McCree has a shorter range then Solider
BUMP
mccree needs a health buff to 250 and a slight increase in dmg
he can still get one shot by roadhog

unless he has his flashbang up he is easy kill in close range to heroes like genji
he really can't escape... his roll is very situational

oh and ALL of his moves except for roll gets countered by genji's reflect... including reflecting his ult back to him killing mccree in the process
lol fake news, just get good and shoot from high ground range
He's not bad at all... I have like 8hr on him in my 3500SR account.

He's just 40% aim, 50% positioning, 10% gamesense. If you're good with him, you can carry harder than Genji or Tracer. For example, I've gotten several 4Ks with Mccree without his ult. I can only ever do this with Genji when 1. My team carries and helps me chain a lot of Swift Strikes, 2. with an amazing dragonblade.

As a side note, among my 30 hr of Mccree play, I have never really run across flashbang "bugs" before. It only fails when I mess up.
09/24/2017 02:17 AMPosted by FilthyCasual
He is glass, but considering his consistent damage output per second, he isn't cannon.
I just don't understand why McCree has a shorter range then Solider

No... It's NOT about his dps. It's about his BURST damage and accuracy (and flashbang to a lesser extent).

Headshot + bodyshot takes 0.5 seconds to execute and kills any <200hp hero. Bodyshot => Flashbang => Headshot (+ bodyshot if done correctly) will kill any 200hp hero.

It's impossible to kill someone this quickly with S76... Even with helix rocket. S76 = Generalist + Long/Med range + Bulk damage. Mccree = Burst damage + Close/Med range + Anti-flanker.

Even if you're bad at aiming, FTH works on a lot more heroes than you think. S76 is a good example of this - aim at his chest and he'll die 95% of the time. Tracer also works well (but flash => headshot will instantly kill her, so that's much better). Same thing with Mccrees, Doomfists, Lucios, Zenyattas and usually Mercy.
09/24/2017 01:38 AMPosted by BountyHunter
His flashbang has bugs that only those who've played as him for a considerable amount of time will experience from time to time, since a person using him once in a while will feel that its working as intended, which is incorrect.
Playing McCree at close range is almost as good as a death sentence, having mentioned his insanely quick damage drop off and his only source of damage being his slow shooting, quickly damage dropping badass revolver, PeaceKeeper.
His roll is a handy tool no doubt, but extremely underwhelming when in the heat of battle.
His flashbang.
WHY does it have a 10s cooldown? Not to mention that it has a mind of its own similar to Genji's and Hanzo's wallclimb abilities and decides itself when it wants to work and when it wants to screw you over.
McCree was buffed earlier recently and it came to his Flashbang where targets momentum is supposed to get completely removed once they get hit by the flashbang, hence stopping them in their tracks.
Then why is Genji able to dash 7/10 times through my flashbang and then get stunned Behind MY back, putting me at a far worse disadvantage than him?
Not to mention that I cant use another one of my Flashbangs for another 10s in which any Genji is able to dispose of foes easily within that time frame.
While I don't think McCree is THAT bad, I definitely agree with you. I know McCree is a hard hero to balance, but making him worse than the rest of the heroes that also have the same role as him is a poor solution at best.
09/24/2017 01:38 AMPosted by BountyHunter
His flashbang.

I may be a !@#$ Mccree, but THIS.
Not to mention how ulting mercy just kinda flies away after i use flashbang on her.. for whatever reason.
Ever since hearing about the second charge Junkrat got on his mine, I've been wondering why they don't do the same for McCree's roll.
09/25/2017 09:51 AMPosted by Aulus
Ever since hearing about the second charge Junkrat got on his mine, I've been wondering why they don't do the same for McCree's roll.
EXACTLY!
09/25/2017 09:49 AMPosted by Ceraunophile
I may be a !@#$ Mccree, but THIS.
Not to mention how ulting mercy just kinda flies away after i use flashbang on her.. for whatever reason.
That can be forgiven. She flies so slow, you will eventually shoot her down.
He needs to be a 250hp hero or have a movement skill that actually moves him, or make his hitbox a normal size instead of freaking huge. He still gets one shot by hog.

I play a lot of McCree. A silly amount, even. I tried pharah yesterday just for the heck of it, it's amazing how much easier it is to get results with her.
McCree's fine. I'm not the greatest McCree, personally, but with a bit of practice he can be good in any rank.
09/24/2017 10:22 AMPosted by Khoa
mccree needs a health buff to 250 and a slight increase in dmg
he can still get one shot by roadhog

unless he has his flashbang up he is easy kill in close range to heroes like genji
he really can't escape... his roll is very situational

oh and ALL of his moves except for roll gets countered by genji's reflect... including reflecting his ult back to him killing mccree in the process

Even though I agree that McCree isn't very strong, I think buffing his health to 250 would be too much even though it might not seem like much. In my opinion his cooldowns on his Flashbang and Combat Roll should be lowered and that's it.(May need more but this might be enough)
I agree that McCree gets overshadowed, but I disagree that he's underpowered. Maybe underwhelming in his toolset, but not underpowered.

That being said, I think the primary reason is because he's fairly stationary for an offense hero.

I think if they have him a quarter second invulnerability frame mid-roll, it would be perfect, and allow the more skilled mccree's to really shine without being too overpowering.
Do you guys really want Mccree buffs? He's perfectly balanced already - he's kind of like Genji/Widowmaker/Tracer. A bad Mccree is underpowered and a good Mccree is amazing.

From statistics, he has the same pickrate as Genji at every rank, I don't think that he needs buffs.

From personal experience, he feels just as strong as Genji. However, Mccree's base kit is better than Genji and stays semi-constant in power, but Genji has a strong ultimate and spikes in power.
I have always thought his drop-off dmg was a tiny bit too harsh, and that if they were to adequately buff him then they should do that.
McCree serves a unique role as a sharpshooter who's dominant at close range, but his current damage falloff restricts that range just a little too much given his lack of mobility. A very slight adjustment to McCree's range would put him in a very good spot.