Deflect should have a longer cooldown

General Discussion
For such a powerful ability, that tanks damage, damages enemies with their own attacks , has a huge hit box and even reflects back ultimates, it should have at least 2 more seconds added to it's cooldown. (If not more)

I'm fine with the developers not wanting to reduce the huge hit box of deflect because it causes problems and will cause gitches or whatever, but if they are going to keep the huge hit box then add a longer cooldown.

Other character have abilities not as powerful as deflect on longer cooldowns.

- Phara's concussive blast : 12 second cooldown
- Reapers shadow step : 12 second cooldown
- Mei's ice wall: 10 second cooldown
- Widow's venom mine : 15 second cooldown
- Orisa's fortify (-50% damage vs. deflect -100% reduction from attacks) : 10 second cooldown
- Zarya's barrier (last 2 seconds like deflect but doesn't damage enemies shooting it and it can be destroyed with enough damage unlike deflect) : 10 second cooldown
- Symettra's photon barrier and sentry turret cooldown are both : 10 second cooldown

Genji's deflect is arguable better than all these abilities yet it's on an 8 second cooldown. Even with it's huge hitbox and bugs.

2-4 more seconds added to deflect cooldown and leaving everything else in Genji's kit intact would be justifiable.
Why does everybody always ignore or are against adding a couple more seconds to his cool down but they are okay with reducing his huge hitbox?

All I'm saying is that leave Genji the way he is with his huge hit box and all but add a few more seconds to his cool down.

I would love for his hit box to be reduced as well but I think that having a longer cool down on the deflect which is a very powerful ability is a great idea considering other characters that have weaker abilities with longer cooldowns.
He needs it to not die like Tracer needs recall to not die. Increase recall’s cd by 3 seconds see what happens.
11/01/2017 03:08 PMPosted by TheReinhardt
He needs it to not die like Tracer needs recall to not die. Increase recall’s cd by 3 seconds see what happens.

He needs it to not die? Lulz.
He has plenty of other mobility options to escape.
Wall climb, double jump, increased movement speed, dash, dash reset even if you do 1 damage to a kill.

2 more seconds to his cooldown won't break the character.

Also , so people are just going to downvote without explaining how other abilities that are not as good as the deflect have longer cooldowns?
The ability just needs to be removed or replaced (with a weaker ability not how Mercy was reworked)
11/01/2017 03:16 PMPosted by DVS

Wall climb, double jump, increased movement speed, dash, dash reset even if you do 1 damage to a kill.

Also , so people are just going to downvote without explaining how other abilities that are not as good as the deflect have longer cooldowns?
Tracer has increased walk speed and 3 blinks. And like twice his dps.
Deflect is nit a seriious issue in this game and nothing is wrong with its cooldown

Like how Roadhog practically needs his hook to secure kills or D.Va needs her DM to survive?

They didn't care about adding/removing 2 seconds off of those.
11/01/2017 03:25 PMPosted by Mirai

Like how Roadhog practically needs his hook to secure kills or D.Va needs her DM to survive?

Cool. That has nothing to do with Tracer and Genji though. Nerfing a character out of spite for other characters being nerfed isn’t great.
11/01/2017 03:27 PMPosted by TheReinhardt
11/01/2017 03:25 PMPosted by Mirai

Cool. That has nothing to do with Tracer and Genji though. Nerfing a character out of spite for other characters being nerfed isn’t great.

Let's talk about something called "power economy" or "damage potential" or even just "potential"

Genji currently at any given time can cast his, e, shift, q, and right click like any other player can. But then he has a multitude of other abilities. wall climb, double jump, a bug that causes an immediate swing from his ult, bad hit boxes that make him have more range than he should, reset on his 8 second cooldown swift strike, and he also takes one of your abilities potentially if it's a projectile. Now that I add that it can take ultimate abilities, it's power economy is completely roaring 20's. And I don't want him to go into a great depression from nerfs, but I do believe he is way too versatile for what he is. He is supposed to be effective from medium range, and vulnerable up close. Yet he is effective up close and never really vulnerable unless he's made a major error like jumping into a pit by accident. He can also cancel one of his abilities, deflect, with his swift strike, which leaves literally no room to punish him.

Let's compare him to reaper, how often do you die to reaper from medium range? Like never? Good, that's how it's supposed to be. Reaper was literally designed for close range, but he has no good mobility skills, he has an imunity ability like genji but it does no damage and he can't cancel it. He has a teleport that stuns him, and damage fall off out the kazoo, which genji I don't think has any.

Why does genji get to do reapers job better than he can?
Nobody has addressed the fact that Other characters have abilities that are less impactful and powerful as deflect and they have a longer cooldowns.

Why is deflect on a short cooldown for what it does? Doesnt seem right.

Dash and wallclimb are his only escapes. Even then you can be killed during both and you're an easy target when wallclimbing.

Double jump is not an escape. An extra half meter per second is not an escape. You're just grasping at straws here.

And the reason why Deflect has a lower cooldown than things like Shadow Step is because Genji is an ability-reliant hero. Whereas heroes like Reaper can dish out damage using their gun, Genji can't.
Genji does not need a nerf.
Especially now that one of the supports is going to be harder to kill.
11/02/2017 10:20 AMPosted by WarGoat
Genji does not need a nerf.
Especially now that one of the supports is going to be harder to kill.

Im saying to keep the HUGE hitbox on deflect (Even though everyone knows the size is bugged and unfair) and increase the cooldown by 2 seconds.

Or The devs can figure out a way to make the hitbox way smaller. Look what happened to Doomfists hitbox. I think my solution is best. 2 more seconds wont break the character , Jesus, Even though his hit box IS broken.
Deflect is only as powerful as the enemy team makes it out to be. The only actual problem with Genji is that his deflect hitbox is too big and need to be reduced a bit.
Or just don't shoot at him for 2 seconds.
11/02/2017 10:30 AMPosted by turtlebomb
Or just don't shoot at him for 2 seconds.

Its lose , lose. Dont shoot and be a sitting duck waiting for Genji to delete you with swift strike, melee, right click combo after he is finishing deflecting.
Since most good Genji players already have chipped away your damage with a few shurikens prior to confronting you.
Maybe if ya didn't shoot at it it wouldnt deflect
Agreed.

And the cooldown should reset when at least one bullet is deflected.

11/01/2017 03:37 PMPosted by Buzzintate

Why does genji get to do reapers job better than he can?

Because Reaper is a poorly designed character with limited abilities? No one asked for a character to be so clumsy and limited.

Why are people trying to use other character's balance as some sort of excuse?

Do I look like I want Orisa's fortify to be bad? Reaper to be bad?

And many abilities are balanced around themselves and the character. Believe it or not, Genji is BALANCED, the numbers prove it. Besides the ridiculous deflect hitbox that doesn't match the visual, he's extremely fair and has more counterplay than a lot of other characters.

Meanwhile if you want to talk about Reaper, I'd buff him. You want to talk about Orisa, I'd buff her fortify too.

But then you have examples like Zarya's shields: Zarya is extremely powerful. Thats all. You can't compare abilities directly like this, Zarya's cooldown are long but she is so ridiculously impactful. If Zarya was underpowered, she'd get better cooldowns. Period. You don't change cooldowns on one character just because another character has something.