[MEGATHREAD-UNCAPPED] Symmetras place in the game

General Discussion
1 2 3 313 Next
Highly Rated
Edit: Since Symmetra has now been addressed, I have updated the section about QoL adjustments with discussion within the megathread to make it easier for the developer team to read.

This is extremely long, but I want to illustrate Symmetras problems and how to fix them, hopefully to enlighten the devs on how to fix her. There's not really a TLDR, but if you want to get the gist of it, skim through the bolded areas.

Hi Guys. I’ve been hesitant to post this thread, and instead wanted to wait until after Blizzcon to do so. There’s been a huge surge of concern over Symmetra’s place in the game, so much so that there are 3 Megathreads (all from people in masters, with obvious game sense) on making her more supportive in the general forum, and a reddit thread with 3000+ upvotes.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759249296?page=1
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20758668065?page=1
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759257002?page=1
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759220930?page=1
https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/7afy3b/the_change_for_symmetra_we_didnt_know_we_needed/?utm_term=b41127a9-d761-42ca-93eb-d750b12c3337&utm_medium=search&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=Overwatch&utm_content=1

After hearing the recent Q&A regarding Symmetra, it’s kind of clear that the developers are somewhat unsure of her place in the game, and so I’m hoping that this thread will concisely summarize her issues as well as give the developers clear knowledge of how to fix her, rather than recategorizing her.

Blizzcon Q&A:

Any plans to make Symmetra more viable in competitive? Maybe healing abilities?
Symmetra doesn't really fit well in the support category, but doesn't fit in defense either. In the future we might need to revist the categories to better accomodate changes with the game.
Symmetra doesn't see much play in high competitive, but her recent toolkit change brought some interesting changes that made her more viable.

Please, please, developers. It’s obvious you listen to us, otherwise a Talon Healer wouldn’t have been the next hero despite the massive demand for her. The community obviously wants her to be more supportive. Recategorizing her will not fix her fundamental issues when there are currently better, more intuitive options in the game for her niche (junkrat), as well as more supportive options for her niche coming as well (moira).

From the Patch concerning her rework:
"We wanted to address two main issues with Symmetra. First, on the whole, we felt that she didn’t feel active enough. Second, due to the nature of her Teleporter, she felt weak in certain situations on different maps and game modesTo address the first point, we replaced her more passive Photon Shield ability with a much more active ability: Photon Barrier. Now, Symmetra can help lead the charge on offense or help shut down a big push on defense by actively blocking damage for your team. For the second point, we noticed players would often switch off of Symmetra once they found themselves in a situation where her Teleporter wasn’t as useful. For example, when playing her on defense on an Assault map, players often used her to defend the first capture point, then quickly switched to another hero if that point fell. To help her feel more useful in more situations, we've given her an alternative to her Teleporter. The Shield Generator is just as important for the enemy to deal with, but is useful in more situations. ."

This is important to note, as she is the most passive support out of all 5, and she is also the most situational. She is not viable on attack, as the intention of the rework. The first rework failed its intended purpose.

You can read through this or skim to the bolded sections. While a lot of people argue that Symmetra is strong within her niche. That is precisely the issue with her. When she was most viable was within her Niche on chokes such as Hanamura, Eichenwalde, and Volksaya defense. There were numerous complaints on how hard chokes were to break through, so developers made several balancing adjustments, both to the maps, and characters who had either abilities or mobility to deal with the chokes. From that point onwards, new map development gave a lot of alternative pathways and elevation that lessened her Niche's effectiveness and gave numerous easy options for counterplay, not to mention she’s not very viable outside of her niche, either.

The point? The newest maps, newest characters, and newest buffs to heroes mean that her original Niche is shrinking, and her viability outside that niche is dismal if not compromising to the team. AKA: She’s not relevant to the current version of the game.

The elephant in the room: She is the utility support, however, she is the only support whose utility mechanics are not readily available for use (speed, discord, damage boost) while the other support who has utility on cooldown has two highly active, flexible utility abilities that have a variety of uses that outclass Photon Barrier, and have less counters than her turrets do. The other issue is that all of these support alternatives not only have better utility in their actual kit (not taking into account ultimates), but all the other support utility is in conjunction to healing. She was designed as a damage mitigating, utility support, that defends the backlines; however, almost all of the support in her kit comes from her ultimate, which makes her the only character who is balanced entirely around the merit of her ultimate- which is one of her design flaws, if this patch from Blizzard is any indication:

Game-changing ultimate abilities were coming up a bit too frequently. This change helps keep them in check while still allowing them to be powerful.

(universal nerf to ultimate charge)

If a character is balanced around an ultimate, then it is likely that their kit is lacking. Symmetra has the lowest ultimate costs in the game, and can keep her ultimate up indefinitely. This should raise concerns as to what part of her kit makes this necessary in her design. They wanted her to more engaging in the rework, with more of a capacity for proactive and reactive engagement, but her kit has most of the most passive abilities in the game. Also important to note, if all of her her supportive merit is funneled into her destructible ultimates, she will always lose to Zen/Lucio, who don’t need their ultimate or to keep a structure alive to be supportive. Not only that, but her supportive capacity was originally her E, which rightly means that her original design did not involve a passive ultimate to provide support.

Please, complete her kit. We know this is something you’re capable of doing. Within the last month, you completed Mercy’s kit due to the feedback of DPS mains. This is feedback from the people who play the character. Please fix her.

She doesn’t NEED to heal, but she suffers from an incomplete kit as a support character.

(if you need proof she's a support) Luminums videos show her potential as a support, but watching his videos often makes it clear to me that her kit is just not as cohesive as the other characters in the game, even the defense characters which skeptics seem to be convinced she is. His best plays are supportive plays, so she obviously has potential as a support. She just plays more like an offensive support, similar to Zen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1GvmBQk8-s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flWwBFCTjsU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBbe7ylCy18

(this was patched but shows how he needs high game sense, and to be innovative to a crazy level to succeed with her limited kit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sJwuH1BMwY
(this video shows the potential of team flanks at 4:10)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YhsywtY2OM
(and this video shows why symmetra falls short as a support… she needs her team to support her for her to support them. She’s more follow-through dependent than any other support because she lacks support in her actual kit, but people will troll you because they see you as a “troll pick”)

He makes great plays, saving his team from reinhardt ultimates, making team flanks, etc. But really, while that’s amazing, there’s not much he can do inbetween that except try to make picks. While other offsupports like lucio/zen, have their utility up (speed/discord) in addition to no cooldown, no ultimate options for heals (heal aura/harmony orb).

Quality of Life adjustments for Symmetra are necessary, but if that is all she receives, she likely won't have a place in the game as the game evolves.

The best, and most commonly suggested Quality of Life suggestions are:

Turrets: Reduce the delay in placing and "activating" the turrets after you deploy them, as well as remove the slow that Symmetra is afflicted with when placing them.

Ultimates: Let them be seen through walls for teammates, as well as willful deconstruction of her barrier generator so a skilled Symmetra can change her nesting location, similarly to how a widowmaker will change her sniping location. Let her deconstruct her teleporter to redeem some of her ult charge if the charges are running low. Also, allow her to build her ultimates on walls and ceilings at slightly longer range, so her setups become less predictable.

(via AConstelle) Remove the 5-6 second delay she has on gaining ult when her Shield Generator is destroyed. The delay isn't there for TP, but it is for Shield Gen for some reason, and 6 seconds is a lot of time for Sym. Also the blue line indicating the Shield Gen's radius would be swell.

Photon Barrier: There have been numerous suggestions for this ability. Increase the charges on it, decrease the cooldown, give her more control over it. The biggest consistent complaint I've seen with this ability is the fact that Symmetra has a harder time contributing with this support utility than other supports have contributing with their utility that is often on a lower cooldown or does not have a cooldown while simultaneously being easier skills to contribute with. This ability needs to be able to compete with an offhealing slot, period. It’s her only active support ability.

The other point I want to bring up is that she is the only support who has a viable alternative to rez, which a lot of people are concerned about.

[Moderator edit - I removed the direct call-out to the Dev team. The Feedback here is greatly appreciated but the idea of the forums is a discussion among players. The Dev team has access to the discussion and may take part in the discussion but the main focus is the discussion. Not shutting this down just trying to redirect the focus :) ]

Discussion consolidated:

These are the biggest things that needed to be addressed according to the megathread.
  • Defensive assists for shield gen, as well as the ultimate voiceline "flashing" the ultimate location and radius to teammates for 5 seconds.
  • More assists in general for Symmetra, perception of teamplay is just as big of an issue as how much is within her kit. Offensive assists could possibly be added to teleporter (while the visual effect is active on teammates) as well as turrets.
  • Photon barrier is a handicapped supportive utility compared to other support utility that is meant to protect. Most things will spawn past it when you use it (roadhog hooks, flashbang) and you can't really aim it on teammates. Please look at improving it.
  • Her ultimates incentivize her to play alone and practice nesting rather than play with her team, please give her more options for teamplay in the actual kit. Her killing potential is strong, so this should be a minor utility that can compete with healing without being as strong as healing as to not raise her winrate but make her "feel" better in a team game. People have suggested everything from an opposite of discord, to decaying shields, to reworking photon barrier so that it can supply decaying shields to teammates with a lower cooldown (either passing through, or activation like orisas ultimate)
  • Teamplay is her biggest issue, by far. Her killing potential is decent for a dps offsupport. Number adjustments may make her too strong at lower tiers where she is considered better balanced.
  • Highly Rated
    (reserving this post to edit in other suggestions from the community, not the point of this thread, but here to voice any suggestions)

FIRST OFF: I want to caution that reworking ideas are not the point behind this thread. More than anything it's to shed light on the issues that Symmetra is facing and how she's becoming obsolete with the evolving nature of the game. These ideas are the kind of ideas Symmetra players wonder about when they think of "viability" in the sense that other characters have that fall under the category of support, without boxing her into something as arbitrary as a healer.

I've tried to limit the amount of "reworking" suggestions in this thread, but at this point, I'm leaning more towards it due to her place in the evolving nature of the game and competitive team comps. If you have an idea you feel is within her playstyle and will bring her viability, please list it in this forum.

Ideas that have been thrown out:

(Kyleesie Ideas)
    New Features to Existing Abilities:
    Photon Barrier

Change the shape of the barrier into a sphere so it can block damage from all angles, and fully protect someone running with it.
    Health readuced to 900 down from 1025.
    - OR -
    Provides 75 shields to any ally it comes into contact with. The shields decay slowly 3 seconds after leaving a 5 meter radius of the Turret projecting the barrier

Reddit Idea:

Let her place supportive turrets.

(The issue with this is it’s not as flexible as other support utility and is too area based. Which in the end would cause the same potential problems as before)

My idea:

Her Glove as a Secondary weapon, similar to torb and mercy, unlocks a new ability under the primary fire of this "weapon":
    Photon Shield
    (yes, bring it back)
    Channeled ability, resource meter of 12-15 seconds. 30 Yard range. Grants 40 barrier health to your target per second. Can give up to 50 extra health. When not channeling, will degenerate at a rate of 5 hp per second.

Barrier health is the same mechanic used in sound barrier and doomfists passive, which is why I suggest using this mechanic as a "psuedo-heal". This would grant her a place in the game as the only support counter available to Ana's grenade. She'll still primary play as a defensive dps, but this will give her defensive support utility that helps sustain the team and the main healer, without actually making her a healer. The way that barrier health functions, it would work somewhere between healing and the original photon shield. That is, that instead of providing a flat hp bonus, it would give a max of 50 "bonus health", but since it's barrier health, any missing HP would have to be filled with Symmetra's resource meter degenerating barrier health (like doomfist) before the "bonus" hp would apply.

These suggestions, or variations of it, are the most popular on the forums. I’d even be willing to have her gun range nerfed, as lower SR seems to hate it, in exchange for more utility.

Basically the same as her old ability, but not a flat hp bonus. Since it’s barrier health, missing hp has to be given before giving the bonus.

Lastly, this is a quote that I really like from one of the other very well thought out Symmetra threads (Kyleesie's thread) that I really enjoyed. This basically sums up opinion on why on why it may be necessary to give her a "pseudo-heal"/stronger damage mitigation, while staying true to the developers vision for her. You don't need to make her a healer! That's the beauty of it. You just need to make her sustain to the point the team doesn't miss an offhealer :)

Comments: I know the developers intentionally designed Sym without any traditional healing. However, while I respect their philosophy to design a unique way for her to function as a support, I strongly feel that her inability to heal (especially while classified as a "support" hero) negatively affects how players perceive her in the game. Simply put, Symmetra confuses people. New players are unsure of what she is used for, and veteran competitive and pro players don't value her utility over other support heroes who can actually heal. As a result, Symmetra is stifled by negative opinions, and those who choose to play her receive an egregious and unfair amount of toxicity and blame.

Ideas added later based on discussions within the thread:

Mohock Ideas: Letting her be stronger anti-mobility by having turrets affect things such as Dash/Blink, allowing her to set the base of her ultimate in a predetermined location before she gets it.

Crestren Ideas
    : Allowing her to have more buildables, such as bridges, elevators, or structures that grant support to the team.

Dr.Fate Idea:: Symmetra is granted a passive that gives sustain, similar to Lucio but exclusively affecting shield HP pools.
    Highly Rated
    Here are some of my potential ideas that could improve her kit and make her more viable:

Turret-Survivability:
    Give her turrets thermoptic camo like Sombras. The turret stays invisible until an enemy comes in reach, decloaks and shoots. After a few seconds out of combat they recloak again. This would allow for more flexible and creative traps and prevents Tracer/DVa/Reaper from shootgunsniping them across the map.

Turret-Placement:
    Give her turrets the flying behavior like the shieldcore, but instead of getting destroyed by hitting a surface, the turret sticks to it. This would solve the immobility issue while placing them, they could be used to contest high ground more effective and they would be more viable to push a point. Bonus buff if they would start fireing midflight.

Turret-Slowing:
    Slowing effects from the turrets (or Mei) could be applied to "teleport"-abilities like Tracers Blink or Genjis Dash, resulting in a shortening of the traveling distance equivalent of the percentage the hero is slowed down. A 25% Movement speed reduction from one turret would lead to a 10,5m dash instead of 14m.

Ultimates:
    Let her place the base plate of her ultimates in advance even with 0% on her ultcharge and activate them when they are ready. You would set up the base with Q and could change the placement at any time by building a new one in case you change your mind or they get destroyed. I would even disable their shields until they are activated so flankers could dispose of them quickly if discovered. Pressing Q with 100% ultcharge would bring up the same image as of now of the sg/tp and you can select to activate the existing base by looking up or build a new one by looking down towards the ground. This way, Symmetra players don't have to leave the battle for prolonged times to set up her ults at a good spot and they can be activated right as the fight breaks loose to get a better impact.
    Highly Rated
    To Mohock: I really like the turret slow ability. Mobility is uncontested in this game, and that's why characters like Mei, even with a phenomenal kit, are scarcely seen in the game anymore. Improving anti-mobility kits, especially when tracer and genji are uncontested as flankers in the pro scene, might be something this game desperately needs.
    Thanks^^
    I find it paradoxical that slowing abilities are way more effective against allready slow opponents but do next to nothing against mobile targets. The only thing that can counter tracers blink is sombras hack, i think this game could benefit from one or two more.
    My proposed change would apply the reduction to the momentum of a character instead of the absolute velocity. This would also make it better against charging reinhards, jumping winstons and rocketboosting pharahs while the immobile character interaction stays the same. To balance this change the turrets could get a little bit of damage reduced to emphasize the support aspect.
    Turn her right click into a healing beam; or keep the ball, and increase its projectile speed to that of Zen, Mai, and Torb. On top of that, slow down and increase the size of the barrier a bit. That way she can give tanks a small break when their defenses get overwhelmed.

If they give her healing, she'll instantly become viable.

If they do the rest of my suggestion, she should be some where between a tank, dps, and defense. Giving her team more flexibility on deciding if they want to got single healer, tank, or dps, without outright hurting the effectiveness of the team.
    I've played Sym for over 200 hours and she's carried me from about 1700 to about 60 points away from Diamond. One suggestion I've had for a while is to add a simple 1HP barrier to her turrets, as a barrier will always absorb the impact from blow no matter how much it does. This would prevent them from being destroyed by something like D.Va's ult, Rein charge, Genji's Swift Strike, Lucio's Boop, Junkrat's Concussion Mine, etc. It gives Symmetra more staying power because there are less ways to counter her turrets, which are her main mode of support, but they still only effectively have 2HP so any automatic weapon fire can still dispose of them quickly.

Another is that Symmetra just needs to take less time to do things across the board. She takes too long to deploy turrets, which then also have to activate so around 2 seconds from deployment to activation time for a turret which makes her harder to use on attack since she needs so much setup time. Her photon barrier needs to deploy earlier in the animation and closer to Symmetra, there are so many times where I have perfectly timed a block only to have the Hook/Flashbang/Widow Headshot go through it and then the barrier floats away from my corpse.

I also think an interesting buff would be to either have her alt fire charge faster or move faster. She has the only basic attack that goes through barriers at range and, while useful in its current state, can sum up to poke damage if they have two healers. I think allowing it to either move or charge faster would give Symmetra a better chance on attack as she would be able to deal massive, unforgiving amounts of damage to the enemy team.

These are mostly just QoL suggestions, as far as I'm concerned. The only straight buff is the charge or movement speed, and I think that's pretty minor tbh.

The only serious kit alteration I could think would be to re-add back the photon shield at 25 and let her stack that with her shield generator, with the caveat that the 25 shields disappear if she dies. That would allow Symmetra to have a somewhat better impact before she's able to get an ultimate up, but can be punished if she were to die.
    Highly Rated
    That Blizzcon response is worrying. They clearly do not know what to do with Symmetra, and part of me wonders if they even care?

I mean a new category? What is that going to do? All her issues in her kit are still going to be just as relevant. They acknowledged she isn't used in higher ranked games, but then they say she's more viable because of her rework....

Well yeah thats true, any buff to any hero will make them MORE viable. But she isn't viable to the game as is.
    Seriously, you guys need to lay off the Symm change ideas.. especially a lot of this complete reworks. Symm is near perfect the way she is.. it is the community toxicity and the lack of use in the pro scene that holds her back.

The pros don’t use her because she take a lot of practice and committment to the hero and lets face it.. the top pros would rather practice on skills that are easily transferable to other heroes, then practice a hero (like mercy who before she became a reworked OP mess— remember she was NU in pro play before her rework) who has a unique playstyle to use at a high level.

She could use some tweeks to help at higher level.. like making her ult silent.. or turret deployment improvements.. but anything else would make her way too dominate at the lower levels.
    Well, He has a point. Failed rework. The character has worst rep. 0% play-rate at tournaments. Generates most toxicity of any character in the game for both enemy and team. Faces weekly posts & complaints at lower-level of matchmaking.

Edit:
    They should consider the glove idea and barrier idea. If you can make symmetra more proactive. you will instantly resolve 80% of her troll-pick status if it is implemented intelligently. you will also increase her versatility ten-fold. Look, another viable support.
    11/04/2017 08:15 AMPosted by Micrøwave
    That Blizzcon response is worrying. They clearly do not know what to do with Symmetra, and part of me wonders if they even care?

I mean a new category? What is that going to do? All her issues in her kit are still going to be just as relevant. They acknowledged she isn't used in higher ranked games, but then they say she's more viable because of her rework....

Well yeah thats true, any buff to any hero will make them MORE viable. But she isn't viable to the game as is.

Exactly. What's a new category going to do? She' won't have a place in the game regardless, except at a lower tier where her gun "carries" because they don't have mechanical skill. In fact, I'm pretty sure if it wasn't for the range buff on her gun (which I remember prior to the rework no one really even asked for) players with great positioning and game sense wouldn't have even been able to climb to masters, because her standard kit (not ultimates) is really just that outclassed.
    11/04/2017 08:53 AMPosted by Shimada
    Well, He has a point. Failed rework. The character has worst rep. 0% play-rate at tournaments. Generates most toxicity of any character in the game for both enemy and team. Faces weekly posts & complaints at lower-level of matchmaking.

Edit:
    They should consider the glove idea and barrier idea. If you can make symmetra more proactive. you will instantly resolve 80% of her troll-pick status if it is implemented intelligently. you will also increase her versatility ten-fold. Look, another viable support.

I'm glad you liked them. These were the best suggestions/idea I could think of to increase her higher SR pick rate while keeping her low SR pickrate the same. If she's melting low SR due to her gun, it's probably a good idea not to increase her killing potential (which is honestly fine). A sphere photon shield does little to support her kills with the low range of her gun, while it does help her team move forward. The glove isn't healing, is a unique mechanic, basically the same concept of her original photon shield, but now she has a way to grant team sustain when she's not dpsing from the comfort of her nest.
    Hopefully the devs see this post, it seems that they do not see them, I feel that the more adjustments there are in the game, Symmetra is gradually decaying.
    Symmetra needs long range options.
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20754867190#post-1
    I made a post about this in May and trying to bring it back now.
    Saying sym is a no skill hero is fukin stupid if people dont play her. People like that cant even climb to plat with her.

Sym was strong because there wasn't many strong heroes back there but with recent buffs to other heroes and new heroes coming out, her kit become too weak because whenever a new patch note come out, she is passively nerfed one way or another.
    Even Luminum has been screaming about buffing her. Aside from Luminum, Hoshi and Stevo, no one would be able to reach their level especially Luminum as his skilled plays are incredible with limited kit. But the level of blocking all the Tracer and Rein's ult, even using turrets to block Doomfist's Rocket Punch is extremely high, if you dont main her to at least Diamond, its impossible to do it.
    Recently, Moira is out and with her mobility, she can outplay Sym with ease. Believe me or not, Sym will start to fall back along with Torb (really, these two dont need to have their skin designed in WC, no one gonna pick them)

Sometimes i feel i could have been in Master by spending 150 hours on another char instead of sym but i love her and seeing her at the bottom of the game and being hated by most of the community is really sad.
    11/04/2017 12:25 PMPosted by DishonestAbe
    Symmetra needs long range options.

Hi, Thanks so much for contributing to the thread and keeping it going.

However, that being said, I think her killing potential is really high (if her team supports her). My issue with Symmetra is that her supportive potential is near non-existent if your team has no awareness. I included some of Luminums gameplay in my post to illustrate this. He was doing a phenomenal job attempting to support his team, but they weren't taking his openings and not letting him support. In turn, it was like he didn't do anything, even though he was working extra hard with his limited kit.

Imagine if an entire character's kit was similar to Zarya's grav in the sense that it needs friendly follow up to actually do anything? Yeah, that's symmetra right now as a support :(
    11/03/2017 11:57 PMPosted by Jsleezy
    Blizzcon Q&A:

Symmetra doesn't really fit well in the support category, but doesn't fit in defense either. In the future we might need to revist the categories to better accomodate changes with the game.
    Symmetra doesn't see much play in high competitive, but her recent toolkit change brought some interesting changes that made her more viable.

If you notice, they avoided the question, they didnt answer it at all!!! I'm not sure if they have anything in mind tho
    We also were promised that the devs had a vision for sym of being more then just a 1rst point defense hero which they stated in her rework

Well it didnt do that
    11/04/2017 12:43 PMPosted by Kyarameru
    11/03/2017 11:57 PMPosted by Jsleezy
    Blizzcon Q&A:

If you notice, they avoided the question, they didnt answer it at all!!! I'm not sure if they have anything in mind tho

Yeah FR... They gave such a non-answer... it was like I was watching a politician, lol. But in all seriousness, I think her limited kit, in addition to her high winrate on the right map, makes them unsure how to adjust her to the current version of the game. I'm hoping this thread enlightens them

We also were promised that the devs had a vision for sym of being more then just a 1rst point defense hero which they stated in her rework

Well it didnt do that

I'm hoping that they read and can think of kit adjustments (I think most Sym mains would be okay with a gun range nerf if the rest of the kit was worth it).
    I feel like for her Photon Barrier, it could get the Orisa treatment, just make it curvier to the sides so it can help block damage.

Just curious OP, what do you think of this? Someone posted this on another Sym thread.

10/28/2017 07:26 AMPosted by ImWithDerp
    Been trying to think of a way to translate more of Symmetra's architectural skills into gameplay and make her more interesting to play.

BTW, this idea is focused more on making Symm more fun, not necessarily more balanced. If something like this does get implemented then Symm would hopefully receive balance tweaks to make her viable without being OP.

---

Secondary weapon: Hard Light Constructor

Primary fire launches an orb-like object in a straight line that sticks to the first surface it hits. Up to two of these orbs can exist at once. Like her turrets, orbs have a cooldown but can store several charges.

If both orbs are placed within line of sight of each other, a hard light structure is created between them. The type of structure depends on whether the orbs are on floors/ceilings/walls.

Illustration of different structure types: https://i.imgur.com/ygMBfDT.png

Details of different structure types:
    • Bridges stay in place, allowing allies to walk over them
    • Elevators move between both orbs, carrying any allies standing on them
    • Allies standing above/under a Power Field gain increased damage (and/or rate of fire?)
    • Allies who walk through a Boost Screen gain a temporary movement speed boost (and/or a temporary shield?)

Secondary fire deactivates active orbs/structures.

The orbs can be destroyed but have regenerating shields to protect themselves like Symm's teleporter/shield generator.

I personally like it as it does fit in Sym's character. It also helps alleviate mobility to non mobile heroes (like Ana, Zen, Mei) so she can play a role in that and help her team move around better. And it does fit as it provides another utility to help support her team as shes not a healer type, she supports her team with her utility.