[MEGATHREAD-UNCAPPED] Symmetras place in the game

General Discussion
Prev 1 310 311 312 313 Next
I thought of a very rough concept a a while back on how Symmetra can increase her and her team's survivability with shields. But I didn't think it would really fair well enough on PTR. Even if it was tweaked a bit. So I thought that I should lay my rough concept here and see what you guys think. Remember Symmetra's old ability Photon Shield? How about bringing that back but rework it as a Passive Ability? Let's say for now it's called Photon Field. In short, have Symmetra technically act as a mini Shield Generator. It still works like the old, but less of a chore. Speaking of which, I'm certain that one of her utilities needs a change, but the one that I see that needs one for the time being is:

Photon Projector
For starters, her Photon Projector may need a nerf but not by decreasing the beam's length. Rather, when the beam is out of range, decrease its extended time by half or more.

...And that's basically it from my point of view. Now describing the Photon Field. Have it work in conjunction with the Photon Projector and her Ultimates. What I mean by that will sound very complicated. But I still like to here your thoughts on it:

Photon Field
With Photon Projector: Within 5 meters from Symmetra, when the Photon Projecter reach maximum, her team gains 25 shield health.

With Teleporter: Only when her Photon Projector is at maximum, all allied hero that passes through Symmetra's Teleporter gains 50 shield health.

With Shield Generator: If Symmetra is alive when the Shield Generator is destroyed, all allied heroes within 10 meters gains 25 shield health.

Pros: Unlike Photon Shield, Symmetra doesn't have to continuously give her team shields one at a time.
Unlike her Shield Generator, the meter rule does not apply to Photon Field.

Cons: In general, Symmetra needs to be alive for her team gain shield health bonuses.
Photon Field does not stack with Ultimates.

That's what I had in mind a while back. But again, it is a very complicated concept that I don't think it could work in the PTR. But I would like to hear what you guys think about this.
Something that bothers me is this repeated statement I keep hearing "Symmetra only has synergy with Torbjorn and Mercy"

Not only is Orisa Symmetra's MOST synergetic character, but her reasons why are telling and also explain why Sym is synergetic with a LOT of heroes

1. Crowd Control Symmetra is slow, so any form of enemy CC is good for Sym. Energy Orbs deal a tasty chunk of damage on a stationary target

2. Barriers Barrier's have synergy with barriers, it's simple logic. When rein needs to recharge, throw the photon barrier. when Orisa's barrier is being hardfocused *throw the photon barrier*

3. Personal damage reduction ANY hero with some for of damage reduction has synergy with Symmetra. Orisa, Hog, Bastion
Damage reduction makes the Shield Gen more effective because it adds on to the general tankiness applied to the hero.

4. High burst damage
Symmetra does not have to aim, but her damage starts out low. she's not good at starting fights but she's marvelous at ending them.

They don't need to "give her more synergies"
She already has synergies
I would like sym to get more individual value

Because rn she's the hardest hero to carry with because she says so team reliant
Guys be prepared for symmetra to become unplayable

The new sombra changes will annihilate sym,

Sym will be in the worst state she's ever been in, so we should all be prepared to fight sombra a lot because everyone will pick sombra when they see you on sym

We must get used to fighting sombras

Start brainstorming counterplays we can do with sym
02/16/2018 11:31 PMPosted by Polyrhythm
Something that bothers me is this repeated statement I keep hearing "Symmetra only has synergy with Torbjorn and Mercy"

Not only is Orisa Symmetra's MOST synergetic character, but her reasons why are telling and also explain why Sym is synergetic with a LOT of heroes

1. Crowd Control Symmetra is slow, so any form of enemy CC is good for Sym. Energy Orbs deal a tasty chunk of damage on a stationary target

2. Barriers Barrier's have synergy with barriers, it's simple logic. When rein needs to recharge, throw the photon barrier. when Orisa's barrier is being hardfocused *throw the photon barrier*

3. Personal damage reduction ANY hero with some for of damage reduction has synergy with Symmetra. Orisa, Hog, Bastion
Damage reduction makes the Shield Gen more effective because it adds on to the general tankiness applied to the hero.

4. High burst damage
Symmetra does not have to aim, but her damage starts out low. she's not good at starting fights but she's marvelous at ending them.

They don't need to "give her more synergies"
She already has synergies
Finally, some one said it. I like having a Sym on my team when I play Orisa.
02/17/2018 11:33 AMPosted by DrFate

Sym will be in the worst state she's ever been in, so we should all be prepared to fight sombra a lot because everyone will pick sombra when they see you on sym

??? She'll get less ult charge and her hack effect in Sym has always been negligible, the only change that can wreck Sym is the spread and honestly, we've got 76 in this game already. The only issue is a higher unflux of sombras In game, but it's not worse than tracer
I'm dying to know what they're looking at for Sym. Are you looking at community feedback and ideas? Or development ideas? Please give us insight, devs. We're very curious.
I think ultimately my opinions on Symmetra come down to a few categories:

What I think she needs adjustments on:

1.Weapon Downtime (Ammo/Reload)
One if Symmetra's biggest issues is her lack of consistency, and her weapon is a part of that I think. She either needs more ammo or a faster reload, preferably the latter as it rewards more awareness and less spam.

2.The usefulness of Energy Orbs:
Energy Orbs are part of Symmetra's utility, they're supposed to be powerful in that they ignore barriers, and hit multiple targets. But everything about them is slow as hell. They take too long to charge, they travel too slowly, and they take 20% out of Sym's ammo to be somewhat useful. I don't think they should just make the Orbs move faster, rather they should tune those 3 aspects up just a bit to make the ability more flexible and consistent

3.Deploying sentries
Sentries are incredibly useful, but like most of her kit are slow and inconsistent. The amount of time it takes to deploy, activate, and come off cool down is rediculous. Like her Energy Orbs, I don't believe tuning just one of these issues is the right way to go, rather each should be adjusted for a much smoother pace.

What I think Symmetra needs functionality changes on:

1.Photon Barrier
A smaller cool down is definitely reasonable, but the ability suffers from many consistency issues just like the rest of her kit - It is VERY difficult to use supportively for her allies. I think the barrier should be slower, larger, and give Symmetra some sort of secondary bonus for blocking large amounts of damage. Maybe it's own cooldown can be shortened by how much damage it blocks, allowing for Barrier streaks?

2.Her damage output:
Symmetra has no self sustain, and therefore NEEDS to be dealing more damage than other supports in order to protect herself, just as well she NEEDS to be dealing damage to compliment her playstyle which has an emphasis on earning her ultimates. Her weapon charge is a controversial concept among players as it makes her feel less like a "support" when she deals a lot of damage. The upwards ramp needs to be changed, and I think instead of a power increase she should receive a bonus effect for ramping up her weapon. A fun idea would be that as her charge increases she builds up energy, and when she reaches level 3 she automatically releases a shock wave giving allies 100 decaying shields within a small area. (This would also help her protect herself without being powercentric).

How she interacts with the gamefield
Shield Generator statistics and hero interactions:
[i]Symmetra should receive defensive assists when allies defeat enemies while having 75 or less HP, or if a fight is won without losing all of the shield HP.
She should also have a SG uptime statistic midgame, and a more clear indication to allies that the Shield Generator is active

The meta around Symmetra
The truth is that Symmetra will always have a difficult time in more fast paced metas, in order to thrive Symmetra will want a slower pace to play in. Fortunately the buffs to heroes such as Sombra, Mei, and Potentially Torbjorn will GREATLY assist Symmetra I'm becomin as viable hero pick

Disclaimer: All of the suggested ideas in this post are just ideas and suggestions, not necessarily exactly what I want to see.
Have you guys ever get a response from random people in chat saying "you need to learn how to heal" whenever you play symmetra?
02/17/2018 01:38 PMPosted by Mariip
02/17/2018 11:33 AMPosted by DrFate

??? She'll get less ult charge and her hack effect in Sym has always been negligible, the only change that can wreck Sym is the spread and honestly, we've got 76 in this game already. The only issue is a higher unflux of sombras In game, but it's not worse than tracer
But more sombras mean more emps and sombra is better then tracer at killing syms ults

And now sombra can more effectively take out sym and even if you do the orb !@#$ flick combo it won't kill sombra like it does with tracer

And emp will negate shield gen like it always has but of course the buffs will make sombra more played so we will see emp a lot more
I don't think Sombra would be an issue to be honest. No more than normal. Symmetra isn't that reliant on her abilities and when she does use them, she mostly never uses them (turrets) in the middle of a fight. The only real thing that would be negated by hack would be her barrier but even then Sombra would more than likely find a better target to hack than Symmetra. Every time I faced off with Sombra she usually tries to kill me but eventually just translocates away, dies to the microwave or on rare occasions kills me lol.

When it comes to her EMP... well that thing works on everyone not just Symmetra. Yes it sucks that it takes away her shields, but it has always done that so I don't see the issue. I also don't think Sombra is gonna be the new mercy as a must pick. She may see more play at first but I really don't think she is gonna be crazy OP.
Guys guys guys I think I found a way for sym to support in a way no other hero can so stick with me on this one

Barrier healing/ regeneration

Sym should heal ally barriers. I don't know how she would do it but she should

Think about it, if your rein needs to make a push but his shield is getting demolished and your team can't run a dive, sym can help heal the barrier letting rein push

It's helps sym own a space too because she helps bunker down an area by healing shields provided by her tanks making it hard to push through
was thinking of sym's state :

came up with some suggestions , tell what you think :

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20761966525
Rip sym megathread

When the new forums come in this will be deleted

I want to give a thanks to jsleezy for making this post, and to all the people who stuck with this thread since the beginning

This was truly an unforgettable journey and I'm so glad we have got what we wanted
02/18/2018 04:16 PMPosted by DrFate
Rip sym megathread

I want to give a thanks to jsleezy for making this post, and to all the people who stuck with this thread since the beginning

This was truly an unforgettable journey and I'm so glad we have got what we wanted
we'll just make a compilation of the ideas and make a new topic in the new forums. Cheer up, Sym lives matter ^_^!
02/18/2018 04:16 PMPosted by DrFate
Rip sym megathread

I have this saved in google docs (had to spellcheck somewhere). It's not going anywhere :)
02/18/2018 02:42 PMPosted by DrFate
Guys guys guys I think I found a way for sym to support in a way no other hero can so stick with me on this one

Barrier healing/ regeneration

Sym should heal ally barriers. I don't know how she would do it but she should

Think about it, if your rein needs to make a push but his shield is getting demolished and your team can't run a dive, sym can help heal the barrier letting rein push

It's helps sym own a space too because she helps bunker down an area by healing shields provided by her tanks making it hard to push through

I would really like this. It's appeals to Symmetra's shield-support niche, and would improve her ability to lead offensive pushes with her Photon Barrier.

I can already think of a number of ways to do this. It could be a passive, since she doesn't have one. Either of her main gun's firing modes could heal friendly barriers when they pass thru them, or perhaps it could occur when the Photon Barrier or Sentries are nearby.

02/18/2018 05:08 PMPosted by Jsleezy

I have this saved in google docs (had to spellcheck somewhere). It's not going anywhere :)

Absolute legend
Ideas for Sym:

-Allow the teleporter/shield gen to be placed on any flat surface, like the sentries, including walls and ceilings. Would open up a whole new world of teleporter/shield gen hiding spots.

-teammates to receive some sort of buff after using the Teleporter, particularly something quite unique and out there, like lower cooldowns or increased passive ult charge gain.