I dont get the DPS rage...

General Discussion
this forum have, why you healers/tanks hate us so much?

Like hwo fun would it be the game with only tanks and healers?

edit: why the downvotes? I even have created a topic a while ago saying that the real MVP in the game are the supports...=/

I know we do not carry alone the game, behind a good dps there is a good support and a good tank soaking dmg in frontline.
All the tanks can do significant damage, just not quite as much as DPS. The game would likely be slower, but I would still have fun with the removal of DPS.
Tbf it seems it's mainly Mercy mains with the deep hatred for DPS mains. Anytime a Mercy change rolls around it kicks back into high gear. Just yesterday most people were defending a dps one trick.
All roles can be fun. Different people have different opinion on which is more fun to them.
Because legitimately good DPS players are few and far between. The most common type of DPS "Main" there is abandons their team and insists they are carrying when all you see is their name on the wrong end of the killfeed every 15 seconds. Then when the game is lost, they blame everyone else, most likely the healers, because it's apparently the healer's job to pocket their rear no matter what, and if the support dies it's because they didn't have the skill to defend themselves, not because the DPS player in question ignored the healer's calls to help them against a flanker.
11/16/2017 02:38 PMPosted by Blam320
Because legitimately good DPS players are few and far between. The most common type of DPS "Main" there is abandons their team and insists they are carrying when all you see is their name on the wrong end of the killfeed every 15 seconds. Then when the game is lost, they blame everyone else, most likely the healers, because it's apparently the healer's job to pocket their rear no matter what, and if the support dies it's because they didn't have the skill to defend themselves, not because the DPS player in question ignored the healer's calls to help them against a flanker.

Even if I play a good dps I get yelled at though... I never do any of the things listed and constantly get blamed/outright insulted.
My personal problem with DPS mains is the way you whine to get everyone else nerfed with your little "BUT IT'S NOT FUUUUUUNNNNN" rants. Boo hoo, tanks ate your damage. Supports undid it. Live with it instead of crying to the devs about it.
11/16/2017 02:33 PMPosted by Draco
All the tanks can do significant damage, just not quite as much as DPS. The game would likely be slower, but I would still have fun with the removal of DPS.

We actually tried it without dps when Ana was super overpowered, it was really boring.

Now Overwatch without tanks? That would probably be just tf2, which is kinda fun.

Without healers? Pretty horrible for everyone.
Almost every FPS game consists of a roster of pure DPS. If we wanted that, the gaming world would be our oyster.

But we don't. So we play Overwatch.

Alas, it is impossible to ignore the fact that the team caters mainly towards the DPS crowd because *wobbles head back and forth* "eeeeeSpooooorts". It sucks when you finally find a game that you feel so passionately about and find such enjoyment in and now its development team (and such a huge portion of its community, especially the biggest name pros) seem hellbent on reshaping it into yet another DPS, individual focused FPS.

The "team" aspect is dwindling more and more.
dear lord you guys are salty.
11/16/2017 03:00 PMPosted by Taturana
Well you wanted answers, right? So there are the answers. You guys are really toxic and the devs cater to you almost exclusively. That's why tanks and supports don't like you.
11/16/2017 02:27 PMPosted by Taturana

I'll be straightforward with you bro. The vast majority of us wanted to be dps players. However we learned early on that almost everybody wants to main dps and that the vast majority of people are unwilling to switch to tank/healer. We also learned that typically speaking the team that has tanks and healers will tend to win more often than not. Most of us at this point would start filling tank/healer but still primarily played dps. Slowly but surely though we "filled" more and played our mains less. Eventually we realized that we play tanks/healers more than dps and we just kind of accepted the role because while we enjoy dps more we don't want to lose games because nobody else is willing to switch.

So basically most of us are tank/healer mains not because we wanted to but because dps mains are too stubborn to fill. So there's an element of resentment there. Partially because you're playing the role we want to play but also because dps mains like to take most of the credit for winning games when typically speaking they're not as team oriented as we have been (otherwise they also would be tank/support mains). And then on top of this there's a certain unspoken understanding when people are refusing to fill that they better put up results because just by the fact that they don't fill it means that they're already a drag on the teams chances to win if all other things are equal. So there's a certain thought of "you better perform if you're main is the character that everybody wants to play but you're among the most stubborn players that end up not filling".

You got it all backwards. Like I said before. It all comes down to the fact that we want to be dps mains but became tank/healers because we're team or goal(read as winning) oriented. Nobody is under the impression that the game would be funner with all tanks. Season 3 (the tank meta) is widely regarded as one of the least fun metas the game has ever had.).

edit: why the downvotes? I even have created a topic a while ago saying that the real MVP in the game are the supports...=/

don't put any stock in upvote/downvotes. They don't mean much (the same responses to the same topic in the same thread will sometimes get upvoted and other times get downvoted. Sometimes even on the same page). People on here often treat downvotes as a simple "I disagree" button in replacement of making a post.

*This post brought to you by somebody that just wanted to play Tracer when the game was announced and fell in love with her kit when he got to play the open beta and enjoyed playing her more than anything else in the entire game when the game was officially released but was a Tank main by the time season 1 hit.*

I STILL enjoy playing tracer more than I do any character but I NEVER play her because I can count the amount of times we've needed another dps in comp on one hand over the course of 6 seasons.
11/16/2017 03:06 PMPosted by Thrillho
11/16/2017 03:00 PMPosted by Taturana
Well you wanted answers, right? So there are the answers. You guys are really toxic and the devs cater to you almost exclusively. That's why tanks and supports don't like you.

Some of y'all are quite rude and some of us would like a chance at playing dps but the majority of you guys are too stubborn to switch.

I know we do not carry alone the game, behind a good dps there is a good support and a good tank soaking dmg in frontline.

1) We don't hate DPS mains. Speaking for a few people I met, we hate a) DPS instalocks that suddenly need reviving on the other end of the map, and said DPS complaining that "you didn't revive me!" even though Mercy's res is now nerfed into the ground. We also hate b) that prominent DPS mains have soooo much clout with Blizzard while Mercy mains have like none at all. Example:

DPS Mains: OMG Mercy is OP nerf her into the ground because I can't DPS to save my life!!
Blizzard: Sure!
Mercy Mains, after said nerf: Please fix the 75% speed decrease. 9 times out of 10, every time we try to res, we get sniped.
Blizzard: Oh no haha how about we send your post into a dark corner called the Mercy Megathread yeah we can do that

2) Yeah, I know, but supports never get appreciation. Keeping you alive through Deadeye? No recognition. Becoming a pocket Mercy during your Dragonblade> Nope.
11/16/2017 02:33 PMPosted by Draco

Zarya would have a word. She has one of the highest DPS outputs in the game.
If Mercy could do even half the amount of damage the other supports can when defending herself, I wouldn't hate the DPS for never helping me.
I don't hate you, OP. I do, however, find it annoying to, as support main, regularly find myself in games with 5 teammates who think they're all DPS gods, and then I somehow end up with gold, silver, or even bronze elims as Zen or Lucio. And often, one of these DPS gods will spam, "I need healing;" clearly it's never, ever occurred to them they could go to the hero select screen and switch — yes, switch! — to a second healer.