Overwatch on Switch?

General Discussion
Just curious if it will ever happen now that we have games such as DOOM and L.A. Noire running on the Switch. I know that Jeff said that it would take a lot of effort on porting it to the Switch, and I’m sure it would. I also know that the Switch is a little underpowered. But as I pointed out earlier, Bethesda got last year’s version of DOOM on the Switch while managing to make it still look good. (Not saying it looks anywhere near as good as PS4/Xbox/PC version but it doesn’t look ugly either.) Anyone have any thoughts?
Would much rather see it come to mac first but eventually idk why it would be a bad thing.
I don't think it being underpowered is the problem, moreso that IIRC Splatoon had a really, really complicated voice-chat system that required a phone, and since console games don't have text chat people simply not being able to use voice chat on the Switch would be a big problem
Good luck getting Nintendo to host a competitor to Splatoon on their brand-specific console.

We talked about this last year.
12/03/2017 10:19 AMPosted by Blam320
Good luck getting Nintendo to host a competitor to Splatoon on their brand-specific console.

It's not a brand-specific console though? They have tons of third party games on it lol

The WiiU was pretty brand-specific, but as OP said they have games like Doom and LA Noire on Switch, which for sure are not Nintendo games.

Please quit posting about things that you clearly know too little about.
12/03/2017 10:19 AMPosted by Kryptsm
I don't think it being underpowered is the problem, moreso that IIRC Splatoon had a really, really complicated voice-chat system that required a phone, and since console games don't have text chat people simply not being able to use voice chat on the Switch would be a big problem

That's another thing. Nintendo didn't want to implement voice chat because they saw games like CoD and it's toxicity. Nintendo only allows voice chat on phone if you are friends with that person on your switch and even then they must invite you. You cannot have voice chat on your own team specifically when going Online.

Because Overwatch is so heavily inspired and based around teamwork and mic needing to be an essential part of gameplay, I don't see Nintendo allowing this, especially on how toxic this community is.
Maybe when you’re joining a match if you have the Nintendo Switch Online App running it will automatically put you in a room with your team to communicate? That was one problem I was thinking about when making the thread
12/03/2017 10:31 AMPosted by Squidarang
Maybe when you’re joining a match if you have the Nintendo Switch Online App running it will automatically put you in a room with your team to communicate? That was one problem I was thinking about when making the thread

I own a Nintendo Switch and I can tell you that it has a lot of D/C issues in particular in terms for their wifi output. The Switch is a pretty underrated in terms of it's graphics, and Overwatch can easily run on it as we aren't talking FF graphics here, however, I can see it POSSIBLY dropping in FPS as FE Warriors had this issue. The frame rate would drop a lot at times during co-op with FE Warriors due to split screen causing lag, but one one player had no issues really. The other problem I see however is, as I have said before, the communication issue and it's internet connection.

Nintendo did not implement VC in the first Splatoon because they didn't want the game to feel toxic to new players and all fans in particular. With Splatoon 2 (Which I have) they just allowed people with whom you know as"friends" to VC, which would make playing Overwatch very hard without mic for Comp unless you have people in your phone or aka a group to team up with. I am not saying it's impossible to play OW without mic but if comp is involved, it will be considered "bad teamwork" the majority of the time due to no communication a lot and possibly a lot of bans.

In all fairness though? I play on PS4 and as a console user we have a lot of issues that need to be addressed that they haven't done. Adding another system to this game will not help it at all in terms of issues that we with PS4 and XBox 1 have. Blizz hadn't responded to any console issues at all within a long period of time. This will only be more problems for them.
12/03/2017 10:45 AMPosted by SpiritDragon
12/03/2017 10:31 AMPosted by Squidarang
... Maybe when you’re joining a match if you have the Nintendo Switch Online App running it will automatically put you in a room with your team to communicate? That was one problem I was thinking about when making the thread

I own a Nintendo Switch and I can tell you that it has a lot of D/C issues in particular in terms for their wifi output. The Switch is a pretty underrated in terms of it's graphics, and Overwatch can easily run on it as we aren't talking FF graphics here, however, I can see it POSSIBLY dropping in FPS as FE Warriors had this issue. The frame rate would drop a lot at times during co-op with FE Warriors due to split screen causing lag, but one one player had no issues really. The other problem I see however is, as I have said before, the communication issue and it's internet connection.

Nintendo did not implement VC in the first Splatoon because they didn't want the game to feel toxic to new players and all fans in particular. With Splatoon 2 (Which I have) they just allowed people with whom you know as"friends" to VC, which would make playing Overwatch very hard without mic for Comp unless you have people in your phone or aka a group to team up with. I am not saying it's impossible to play OW without mic but if comp is involved, it will be considered "bad teamwork" the majority of the time due to no communication a lot and possibly a lot of bans.

In all fairness though? I play on PS4 and as a console user we have a lot of issues that need to be addressed that they haven't done. Adding another system to this game will not help it at all in terms of issues that we with PS4 and XBox 1 have. Blizz hadn't responded to any console issues at all within a long period of time. This will only be more problems for them.
I play on Switch too and I haven’t ever been disconnect from online before. Had mine since launch day. Maybe it’s your wifi?
12/03/2017 10:14 AMPosted by Squidarang
Just curious if it will ever happen now that we have games such as DOOM and L.A. Noire running on the Switch. I know that Jeff said that it would take a lot of effort on porting it to the Switch, and I’m sure it would. I also know that the Switch is a little underpowered. But as I pointed out earlier, Bethesda got last year’s version of DOOM on the Switch while managing to make it still look good. (Not saying it looks anywhere near as good as PS4/Xbox/PC version but it doesn’t look ugly either.) Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm sorry but why the hell has this post got DISLIKES?! Literally NOTHING you said was degrading, or offensive to other players. I hate when harmless posts get downvoted for no reason.
12/03/2017 11:37 AMPosted by Squidarang
12/03/2017 10:45 AMPosted by SpiritDragon

I play on Switch too and I haven’t ever been disconnect from online before. Had mine since launch day. Maybe it’s your wifi?

I know a lot of people complain about it. I have Verizon Fios and usually have 4 bars? I always check to make sure before going into a battle. Then again it could be other people D/Cing. I thought they said playing with LAN is a better experience though?
12/03/2017 10:23 AMPosted by Zish

Please quit posting about things that you clearly know too little about.

My point still stands. Do you really think Nintendo would want Overwatch on their console, when they already have their own team-based shooter?
You people act as if voice chat is a necessity to play Overwatch. If the Switch can run and play Doom online, Overwatch should be fine, besides Nintendo hasn't released their announced online service so I wouldn't count them out when it comes to voice chat just yet.
Hey Squidarang. Jeff talked about this a bit in an interview a few months ago. If you haven’t read that, hopefully it gives some insight.

Sorry we don’t have anything more exciting to share at this time.

Cheers
Finally a blue post
12/03/2017 01:02 PMPosted by Krusher99
Finally a blue post

Finally?

They already answered this months ago.
It's juuuust not gonna happen...
What did Jeff say exactly
12/03/2017 01:09 PMPosted by SunsetS0mbra
It's juuuust not gonna happen...
assuming this
12/03/2017 01:01 PMPosted by Bill Warnecke
Hey Squidarang. Jeff talked about this a bit in an [url="http://www.businessinsider.com/why-overwatch-isnt-on-the-nintendo-switch-explained-2017-5"]interview[/url] a few months ago. If you haven’t read that, hopefully it gives some insight.

Sorry we don’t have anything more exciting to share at this time.

Cheers

You're a madman Bill.
I'll give ya a Golden star sticker for this one! (Even if it was already answered...)