How do people find their mains?

General Discussion
I spent the first few hours of my overwatch career in coop vs AI and I tried EVERY hero for a couple games to get a feel for the mechanics of the game and of each hero. Then the ones that peeked my interest I started picking in quickplay and on.

I would suggest logging some time on every hero anyway cause you can also get a feel for the strengths and weaknesses and get a better understanding of how to play against them.
I run around with Heroes in the Practice Range just to get a feel first, then I try them out in QP. I also try to figure out my overall playstyle, because it's easier to figure out who you might like playing if you know how you play. I like to hang around mid-range and go for kills a lot, but I also like having a little flexibility (i.e. if I need to rush or fall back and provide support, I'd like to be able to do one or both effectively), so I wind up playing Soldier, Zenyatta, and Hanzo a lot. I'm not very good at playing super aggressively, so characters like Doomfist, Genji, and DVa are out, but I'm still just aggressive and impatient enough that I'm not really well-suited to just hanging out in the back all the time and giving supporting fire, so Widowmaker isn't really my type either
I played a lot of anivia in league of legends, Mei plays a lot like anivia, thus I easily picked up how to play her
Not exactly sure how other people found their main but I know how I found mine. At first I was just playing the characters who I thought were the most fun at the time. Played roadhog when I first got the game (back when he could 1 shot every time) then played a lot of McCree and also some soldier and reaper. One day, I randomly got Mercy’s Valkyrie skin out of a regular lootbox. I tried playing her after that and I completely fell in love with her and have been playing her exclusively ever since.
Pfffff I found my main right when I started the game I saw Mercy and attempted to play her and I loved it idk why but why do some people say Mercy mains are salty? Ever Mercy main ik are really caring. Even my self help my teammates befor I stop to heal my self.
11/23/2017 10:49 PMPosted by Mercy
Not exactly sure how other people found their main but I know how I found mine. At first I was just playing the characters who I thought were the most fun at the time. Played roadhog when I first got the game (back when he could 1 shot every time) then played a lot of McCree and also some soldier and reaper. One day, I randomly got Mercy’s Valkyrie skin out of a regular lootbox. I tried playing her after that and I completely fell in love with her and have been playing her exclusively ever since.
Sound like me but I still haven’t got a legendary skin for her...
Personally I tried all of the characters on and off. Some I rarely touch again (Rein's 3rd person camera was too disorienting) but most of them I'd play every now and again. Even the ones I know I'd never play regularly, like Rein and Widow, get the dust blown off them every now and then for a few more rounds.

Once I started solo-queuing and thus getting local servers at 33ms instead of NA at 250, I found myself really enjoying Tracer. Because I'd learned how reds reacted to blue presence and could juke with blinks, I was better at Tracer than anything else, and she was fun. (For this same reason I love Moira! I have captured many highlights of juking with Fade.)

Over time playing more heroes in several more contexts has also taught me that I like hybrid supports - I like knowing I'm being helpful to the team by healing them, but still have something I can do when they're running about being knobs. I don't like the main healers, playing them only if I have to. (These days I choose a hybrid even when I'm solo-healing in QP.)

I stopped soloQ tanking because it mostly consisted of teammate's choke-poking instead of joining me when I initiate (making it then my fault when I died in the resulting 1v4). I now only tank when I have at least one person in my team I've played with well before (groupmate usually) - preferably the healer.

TL;DR: played all of the heroes across all maps until experience taunt me the ones I was best at and enjoyed the most
11/23/2017 08:43 PMPosted by Rye
Honest question mayn I'm still undecided.

This is what I did.
1. I played every character in the roster at least once and saw who I enjoyed.
2. I looked at the personality and backstory of every character to see what was interesting.
3. I looked at characters that people don't play that often (like Doomfist, Ana, etc.)
4. I looked at the humor/voice of every character.
5. I looked at the home countries of the characters and which country I would like to go to.

MY ANSWERS:
1. Junkrat
2. Junkrat
3. Junkrat
4. Junkrat
5. Australia (Junkrat & Roadhog)

MY MAIN:
Junkrat
Also OP, have you considered that you might be a Mercy main as well? You must be pretty good with her since you play her in master tier with a 70+ % win percentage. She’s also your most played in QP, and people usually just play the heroes that they want to play in QP. It’s ok to be a Mercy main, you shouldn’t be ashamed. I personally am proud to call myself a Mercy main :)
Thank you all for so much feedback (; every post was super helpful!
Typically I main heroes I rank up most with.

Season 3 it was zarya.

Season 4 it was soldier 76

and it's been ana/mercy ever since.

But I'll always be a sombra main at heart.
I find my main after I want to learn a new hero.

I started with Tracer. She was fun but the skill-cap... Definitely one of the harder heroes to master. I was also having small heart-attacks after playing a match. She makes my heart beat and adrenaline rush. I get shakes after playing her. I had to quit because I couldn't take it.

I moved to Bastion. He is fun, and requires extensive map knowledge for optimal positioning. Mechanically, he is so much easier to use than Tracer. In fact, when I want to eat a sandwich and play, I pick Bastion. I wasn't very keen on his immobility, and I started getting deleted by Tracer and Genji. I needed to switch.

76 was my next choice. Oh he is your classic shooter archetype. Very easy to use, and fun like Tracer but I don't get the shakes afterwards.

After so many competitive games with stupid compositions, I decided to learn the tanks and support to fill and balance the team.

I chose Mercy because she's always a solid choice to fill. I really enjoyed her, but soloq Mercy is a punishment Dante would be proud of. Everyone spread out like butter, expecting heals and blaming me if they die, and generally dying to genji. I have a thick skin, so none of it bothered me.

I started tanking with Reinhardt, and realized he is the most boring hero to play. 90% of the time it's shield up. The 10% swinging is so fun though. I used to complain about Reinhardt's that solo charge into a 1v6. Now I know why they do it. I hate playing Rein, but I will if the team needs it.

When Orisa came out, I wanted to try her. I love Orisa. I learned all about her shield, how it launches, how to place it optimally, and who to use it on.

Then D.va boosted into my life, and I started having fun with the mech driver from South Korea. I chose her because she was such an important part of the dive composition. She is so much fun.

I have now switched to Moira. I chose her because I need another support in my tool belt and she came along.
play around with a few characters until one (or a couple) stick out to you in particular. i was drawn to widowmaker because headshots are just so damn satisfying and i love generating salt on the enemy team by continuously getting picks, especially on other widowmakers.
11/23/2017 11:05 PMPosted by Mercy
Also OP, have you considered that you might be a Mercy main as well? You must be pretty good with her since you play her in master tier with a 70+ % win percentage. She’s also your most played in QP, and people usually just play the heroes that they want to play in QP. It’s ok to be a Mercy main, you shouldn’t be ashamed. I personally am proud to call myself a Mercy main :)
Yeah she's nice :I but most of times I queue up in comp I'm just called boosted or made a joke of for duo queuing with another Mercy main friend (whose way better than me at her) even though I can play almost any character in each role at masters or above.

Also ty for the compliment!
We tend to gravitate to roles we enjoy while looking at the visual concept of the character as well. I main Mercy but that was not the case when I first heard of Overwatch.

As a person who played the Support role in a majority of the games I play, I'm either a Tank Support or a Sustain support. When I saw Reinhardt for the first time, I immediately told myself that he looked really good(His armor reminded me of Marines back in the first Starcraft so that was a plus.) and he seemed like fun.

Then I discovered Mercy in my first few games and fell in love with her whole idea. As much as loved Reinhardt, Mercy provided me with a different set of challenges, mainly staying alive without an offensive weapon.

That's how I felt, at least. It might be different for all of us but that was me.
Eh, I'm nearing 400 hours and I still don't know my main. :D
I found my main cause I thought she looked cool, had a damn fine attitude and good booty. Plus, now that I've worked at her, the effort has payed off, and it is that which means you love the character when you actually care that your good at them.

Or you can play them in game and yea, Moira feels like she should be in Dishonored as a character, it's amazing
Nobody would heal back when the game came out. I ended up really liking Mercy though.

My original main was Tracer.
> Previous experience with role-based games (tanks/attacks/healers etc.)

> Visual preference (do I want a cool hero? a beautiful hero? aesthetics)

> Your personal skillset (good aim? Awareness? Callouts? Quick reactions)

> What makes you happy? (rescuing others, killing others, healing others)

> What does "Power" imply to you? (connecting to ultimates and the rush they provide)
Find a hero that has a playstyle you find really, really fun and dump massive hours into said hero.

... And still be better on an easier hero that you have 2 hours on. Because fate is a cruel, heartless wench. ;_;

I love playing Tracer so, so much. But I'm going to have to stop denying that I'm just flat out a better Mercy. Thus: Mercy for comp, Tracer for QP. All day every day.

Hoping Moira can bring both sides into balance and eventually take over as my "main."