Sombra Ult Hacking Inconsistencies

General Discussion
So let me get this straight: if Sombra hacks Moira during her ultimate, it just shuts down completely. That's it. No more ultimate. Back to 0%.

Lucio's sound barrier gets completely wiped from an EMP and goes back to zero charge.

But.

A hacked Genji just can't dash for the duration of the hack.

Am I interpreting these events correctly?
There are different ult types in the game, stun and hack will cancel channeled ults and deployables, hack will disable the use of other abilities in transformation ults but not the transformation or it's cast.

For a detailed explanation see developer comments for updated 1.16: https://blizztrack.com/patch_notes/overwatch/40407
Yes. Learn what a transformation ultimate is. Working as intended

Whether you think hack should cancel those too is an entirely different discussion
Yeah, that's how it works. IT's kinda annoying, but if Genji can't dash he's not nearly as effective in his ult.

Sombra's hack doesn't effect buffs, and at the end of the day that's what Tac Visor and Dragonblade are; buffs.
Yeah try and thinking Sombra's hacking with logic will only make your head asplode.
What happens when Sombra hacks Soldier does it stop his ult?

It can stop McCree's deadeye which is awesome.
ohmygodarewehonestlystilltalkingaboutthisit'sliterallybeenbeatentodeathatthispoint
12/01/2017 11:21 AMPosted by CoMaNdO
There are different ult types in the game, stun and hack will cancel channeled ults and deployables, hack will disable the use of other abilities in transformation ults but not the transformation or it's cast.

For a detailed explanation see developer comments for updated 1.16: https://blizztrack.com/patch_notes/overwatch/40407

I'm really not getting a clear explanation from those developer comments, as the way many of those ults play out IMO overlap or belong in different categories. Have they gone as far as to explain why each specific ultimate has been categorized the way it has? I know that sounds nitpicky but the inconsistency in her ultimate's ability is extremely frustrating.

Does anyone know if McCree's flashbang shuts down more ultimates than EMP???
Channeled ults make you commit to one attack without being able to use other abilities. These ults can be canceled by stuns or hacks.

Transformation ults give you a passive buff for a limited duration and allow you to use other abilities. These can not be canceled by stuns or hacks.
12/01/2017 12:12 PMPosted by DoMeGuyFieri

Whatever flashbang shuts down, hack/emp shuts down. They both act as a stun in that regard.
12/01/2017 11:50 AMPosted by Breezy
ohmygodarewehonestlystilltalkingaboutthisit'sliterallybeenbeatentodeathatthispoint

Actually, we are talking about it, because no one ever does. A post will come up with a couple of comments explaining the basis of transformation vs channeled ults, and how Sombra's Hack acts like a stun, and then that's it. No one talks about whether or not Sombra should cancel every ultimate, only that she can't.
For the record, this post is intended to be pro-Sombra. I wish more people understood how absolutely incredible she is when utilized properly. But she needs to be tweaked bad. It's really frustrating because her kit is so unique and fun and provides this awesome tactical advantage but it's like it's made of shoddy plastic instead of something substantial, you know?
12/01/2017 12:13 PMPosted by UNBREAKABLE
Channeled ults make you commit to one attack without being able to use other abilities. These ults can be canceled by stuns or hacks.

Transformation ults give you a passive buff for a limited duration and allow you to use other abilities. These can not be canceled by stuns or hacks.
12/01/2017 12:12 PMPosted by DoMeGuyFieri

Whatever flashbang shuts down, hack/emp shuts down. They both act as a stun in that regard.

To be fair, Flashbang stuns Genji, Soldier, and Bastion during their ultimates, whereas EMP does... Nothing.
Hack is just another form of CC, inheriting it's "ability denial" potential from stun, and preventing initiation of new abilities for the duration of the status.

The confusion people have with "hack" is that they take it as if it actually hacks the enemy's technology, hence "why doesn't it stop Tactical Visor", etc. There's really not much else to say, the ultimate/ability typing is quite simple and as long as you understand that, you should know what "hack" affects and to what degree.
12/01/2017 11:08 AMPosted by DoMeGuyFieri
So let me get this straight: if Sombra hacks Moira during her ultimate, it just shuts down completely. That's it. No more ultimate. Back to 0%.

Lucio's sound barrier gets completely wiped from an EMP and goes back to zero charge.

But.

A hacked Genji just can't dash for the duration of the hack.

Am I interpreting these events correctly?

Yep.
But that still cripples Genji. People have not realize this is huge.
12/01/2017 11:47 AMPosted by BlazeNaruto
What happens when Sombra hacks Soldier does it stop his ult?

It can stop McCree's deadeye which is awesome.

No, because hes already activated it. Its not a channel.
i've used her ult and it lasted half a second. i know this because i watched the kill cam. how does that work?
12/01/2017 12:37 PMPosted by DoMeGuyFieri

<span class="truncated">...</span>

To be fair, Flashbang stuns Genji, Soldier, and Bastion during their ultimates, whereas EMP does... Nothing.

It prevents him from using his abilities, at which point he's already probably committed his positioning into your team because he's popped dragon blade, so you just kill him. I'm not saying Sombra doesn't need some buffs, just saying EMP is really good against dragonblade. And it works the same way with other transformation ults like primal rage. In my opinion her ult is extremely powerful with a coordinated team, it's the rest of her kit that is lackluster.

12/01/2017 01:32 PMPosted by CoMaNdO
Hack is just another form of CC, inheriting it's "ability denial" potential from stun, and preventing initiation of new abilities for the duration of the status.

The confusion people have with "hack" is that they take it as if it actually hacks the enemy's technology, hence "why doesn't it stop Tactical Visor", etc. There's really not much else to say, the ultimate/ability typing is quite simple and as long as you understand that, you should know what "hack" affects and to what degree.

This
01/13/2018 03:18 PMPosted by Rinamori
i've used her ult and it lasted half a second. i know this because i watched the kill cam. how does that work?
Moira's ultimate is a channel, meaning any interruption will cause it to be lost. This also applies to McCree, Pharah, Reaper, and Roadhog. Sombra's hack and EMP counts as a stun when it comes to stopping abilities, including ultimates.

Characters like Genji, Soldier, Bastion, and Winston have transformation ults. Basically they gain enhancements but otherwise are able to use their abilities as normal. If they're hacked/stunned, they retain their ult powers because their ults aren't a single continuous attack.

Other Heroes have cast times to their ult during which it can be interrupted. Mei, Hanzo, Reinhardt are examples who have to finish their animation for the ult to go off but the effect will remain in play if they're hacked/stunned after the ult is fired.
i meant the hack itself wore off in 0.5 seconds
I just ulted Orisa & Zen.
Zen was ulting, Orisa had fortify on and shield up.

My ult didn't break her shield. Which is strange.

Or is it because she was in fortify, or just before the hack threw out a new shield in the same spot?