Dutch and Beligian investigation into lootbox gambling

General Discussion
so to sum up for anyone who doesn't know, before i get into my reason for posting this: there was a lot of controversy surrounding Star Wars Battlefront 2, as the lootbox system in the game had many people outraged that so many star cards (an item used in game to help give you an edge) would only be available through the random chance system's of a lootbox. Players worried that since star cards were so intrical to giving players an edge, and the best of the best of star cards would be random at best, the game was essentially becoming pay-to-win, with an edge in game for anyone willing to dish out their wallets and spend real world money on lootboxes.

as a result of all the controversy, Dutch and Belgian officials have launched an investigation into the Lootbox system in video games as a whole, to determine wether or not lootboxes are technically gambling, which would make it highly illegal for them to be in games played by minors. They worry that the nature of paying real world money for an unexpected and unpredictable reward is a form of gambling, or that people in a position of power could manipulate and twist the system for their own uses (Such as the CS:GO lotto controversy, for anyone familar with that).

i was hoping to get a community vibe in on all of this, since this would affect overwatch as well: is the Lootbox system wrong, and/or gambling, in your opinon? is it ok for purely cosmetic items, and wrong when actual in game items are put in them? what are your thoughts on the system as whole, and how blizzard has handled them in Overwatch and/or how DICE handled them in Battlefront?
12/03/2017 02:32 PMPosted by Reason97
They worry that the nature of paying real world money for an unexpected and unpredictable reward is a form of gambling

For rewards that affect your ability to win games, it clearly is.

That said, I doubt this will affect Overwatch since it's cosmetics only.

I'm sure Blizzard are keeping a keen eye on the proceedings though.
12/03/2017 02:39 PMPosted by ACorpse
12/03/2017 02:32 PMPosted by Reason97
They worry that the nature of paying real world money for an unexpected and unpredictable reward is a form of gambling

For rewards that affect your ability to win games, it clearly is.

That said, I doubt this will affect Overwatch since it's cosmetics only.

I'm sure Blizzard are keeping a keen eye on the proceedings though.

its kinda already affecting them. when the investigations started, Overwatch was one of the first game names thrown around with Battlefront, despite the difference in lootbox systems