Possible Custom Game Additions?

General Discussion
1 2 3 8 Next
Highly Rated
Let me be clear, I love the current Custom Games system. It's great, and I love the changes you can make. I'm just throwing a few ideas out there to see if anyone else thinks they'd be neat additions.

- The ability to change the damages of individual attacks, rather than just applying a flat-rate damage modifier to a hero's damage with all abilities. For example, if you set Genji to 75% damage, that's 75% damage with Swift Strike, Shuriken, Dragonblade, Quick Melee, etc. It'd be cool, in my opinion, to be able to edit the individual damages of certain abilities and attacks. A good usage of this would be making a "fighting-game"-type mode where you *can* use your abilities and primary fire, but they're much weaker than your quick melee.

- A better interface might help. I like the ability to edit health, but if I want to, say, change every character's health to 300, I have to look up their base health and do a bit of calculation work to get there. Not exactly difficult, per se, but it'd be nice if there was a bit of side-text detailing what effect the changes you're making would have.

-Changing the duration of certain abilities. Cooldown editing is already pretty fun, but it'd be cool to change the duration of an ability. This would allow for possibilities such as infinite-angry-monkey-mode Winston boss battles or much-longer-stealth Sombra Predator, just as an example. Obviously, some abilities and ultimates cannot receive this treatment due to animation constraints, but it'd still be cool to apply this change where possible.

- The ability to set exact ammo levels for weapons instead of applying a percentage modifier. Again, this won't work for all characters. For example, Reaper must have a minimum of two shots, otherwise his firing animation would look really weird and broken. But, again, it'd be cool to have this option where applicable.

- More wacky custom game settings. Modes like Gun Game are already played, just with group coordination, but it'd be cool to implement an official system for stuff like that. Also, maybe some stuff like Lucioball or King of the Hill FFA. Basically, just go nuts with it. Obviously, some modes can't be thrown in because they're originally from other FPS titles and some law shenanigans might occur, but it'd be nice to see just a bit more variety.

- ...map creation?
- The ability to add resets to abilities

I miss "1 kill 1 rez" gamemodes.

Good list.
Maybe modifying some properties weapons have? Like fire rate, reload speed?
Maybe also set team colors? Like in esports we've seen different colors for attacks and teams.
I want to be able to modify the maximum number of turrets/traps/etc a character can have out at once.

Naturally it'd need a cap because at some point you'd crash the game, but I should at least be able to let Junkrat blow up an entire room to Kingdom Come.
I think the option of being able to use deleted abilities would be cool. I want to be able to use Photon Shield or Mass Rez again!
12/06/2017 09:05 AMPosted by Skrimiche
- The ability to add resets to abilities

I miss "1 kill 1 rez" gamemodes.

Good list.

Technically you can a one-in-the-chamber Genji match

Also you can KINDA do it with Mercy if you set ultimate generation to 500%, since it resets her rez. But that's not that good.
Great list. We'll keep these ideas in mind. Feel free to add more to this thread and we'll keep an eye on it.

In the next upcoming patch we have some new additions to Custom Game rules coming. Keep an eye out for those.
Give us the ability to change the maximum damage of charge attacks. Like Sym and Doomfist.

So they can charge longer for more damage. Just a thought.
I still want a scripting language to be able to make custom events, Alá Lua.

Also, community made AI wouldn't be so bad. I would love to contribute to this great game but just don't have the tools to do so.
Also we need to be able to individually select a map to play next, or even create a map rotation of your own- without having to workaround it by disabling the currently selected map so a random one is chosen.
12/06/2017 09:16 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
Great list. We'll keep these ideas in mind. Feel free to add more to this thread and we'll keep an eye on it.

In the next upcoming patch we have some new additions to Custom Game rules coming. Keep an eye out for those.

Hey ohnickel and stylosa! how goes it?

Would you consider redesigning the Custom Game menus as well?

The way that options are listed are very cumbersome for console players.

Maybe as a holdover, for controllers, use RT and LT as "jump to bottom" and "jump to top" of lists, respectively?

Even with a mouse, it could be way more optimized for speed, visibility, and ease of use, especially the map select screen.
in the winter wonderland patch? ;)

12/06/2017 09:03 AMPosted by Arcade0416
Modes like Gun Game are already played
this is all i want tbh i love gun game but idk how overwatch would do it

please pay attention to this thread
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759627765#post-1
Feel free to add more to this thread and we'll keep an eye on it.
Region selector.
I'd like a kind of stupid idea; on 2cp maps, the option to make the map play backwards. So instead of team A taking point A and then point B, team A defends from team B as they take point B and then point A.

Yes, it'd be terribly balanced and all that, but it'd be more for fun than anything. Plus it would let you do fun things with, say, having 'swarms' of attacking players versus very strong enemies with high HP, boss modes, that sort of thing.

Plus, I think it'd be pretty easy to code.
Also wanna add one thing. An "advanced" button could be included for the more technical options. It would be good for more casual game makers to customize games without seeing a whole bunch of complicated stuff, while more dedicated game makers could still access those options

Also KotH FFA plzz
is there an option to disable afk kick from custom games? like when I'm just chilling with friends, practicing stuff & someone goes away for 2 minutes & gets kicked.

How about buttons to adjust values (+1/-1)instead of using the slider? Sometimes you want to get that exact value but you can't because the slider keeps skimming over it.
I love all of these ideas and hope they are incorporated into the game at some point!!

The only thing I really want in Custom Games is to be able to make someone else the host of the game.

From my knowledge, the only way the host title is passed around is when the original host eventually leaves the game, and it is passed on to someone else.

It happens a lot when I'm trying to explain to a friend where to find a certain setting and they can't seem to find it, and it'd just be easier to make me able to change them myself without having to create a whole new custom game.