Yes, thank you! SR Change!

General Discussion
12/08/2017 04:00 PMPosted by Ares
12/08/2017 03:56 PMPosted by Buttercult
It's helpful if you tell everyone what you are talking about.

Everyone above Diamond gets same SR gain and loss no matter the performance :).!

>answers the question correctly
>gets downvoted

the people on these forums are stupid holy
12/08/2017 04:35 PMPosted by Pancakez

Everyone above Diamond gets same SR gain and loss no matter the performance :).!

>answers the question correctly
>gets downvoted

the people on these forums are stupid holy

"Shoot the messenger" eh?
How exactly are these SR changes going to do much of anything for the majority of players?

How does this also even remotely promote rewarding people to play better if they get the same gains as anyone else when winning?

I don't understand Blizzard. I furthermore don't understand people getting hyped about these changes as if they are massively overhauling something.
Uh, sorry, could you guys explain how this will work out?

Thanks.
12/08/2017 04:01 PMPosted by fayescarlet
Wish they applied it to everyone. :/ Would make clawing out of Bronze more bearable.
I made a thread about it here, hoping someone from the dev team will explain why it only applies to diamond and above.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759598153
12/08/2017 03:56 PMPosted by Buttercult
It's helpful if you tell everyone what you are talking about.

o rly? I have been getting that for 7 seasons and I am not even diamond.
12/08/2017 04:05 PMPosted by escampee
I mean, it's really not helpful for the majority of players. It's only a good change if you're in the top 14% of players.

I mean, it's great that Blizzard super cares about that 14% enough to give an incredibly detailed explanation for their changes. But it doesn't affect me in the least. It's not like it will change my competitive experiences or improve them at all. And it won't help the people in my bracket. Nor will it encourage people of my bracket to play competitive at all.

So, yay for a small minority of players.
45%*
12/08/2017 05:12 PMPosted by crom
I mean, it's really not helpful for the majority of players. It's only a good change if you're in the top 14% of players.

I mean, it's great that Blizzard super cares about that 14% enough to give an incredibly detailed explanation for their changes. But it doesn't affect me in the least. It's not like it will change my competitive experiences or improve them at all. And it won't help the people in my bracket. Nor will it encourage people of my bracket to play competitive at all.

45%*

per blizzard gold is the most populated rank, ergo silver and plat are the next most populated ranks. there is no way that 45% of the player base is diamond and up. if that were true, they wouldn't have problems making matches in gm, they would be struggling to make matches at bronze and silver.
also, this is a big F U to everyone below diamond.
Not only that. In all ranks they are getting rid of mmr for comp.
OTP and Flex have always argued about what'll happen if you do this. Flex believe the OTP players will fall. OTP believe they'll finally get the credit they deserve.

Now we can finally find out instead of endlessly arguing about it!
This is heartening.
The immediate effect of this will probably be a massive increase of OTPs in high plat. Hopefully, these players will change and flex more often (which they will if they actually care about climbing) and then life will be great--for players at diamond and above.

I'm not sure why Blizzard made this change only for players at higher ELOs, but I for one see no problem with it being implemented at all ranks, so that people who OTP will continue to drop until they have to flex.
12/08/2017 06:45 PMPosted by Persuasion
The immediate effect of this will probably be a massive increase of OTPs in high plat. Hopefully, these players will change and flex more often (which they will if they actually care about climbing) and then life will be great--for players at diamond and above.

I'm not sure why Blizzard made this change only for players at higher ELOs, but I for one see no problem with it being implemented at all ranks, so that people who OTP will continue to drop until they have to flex.

Simple: Because if they want performance based stats to work at all, then they had to make this change. In short, it keeps feedback loops like Mass Rez from happening, where high SR Mercy mains use Rez to gain SR, so the system thinks that large rezes are what pros do and awards more SR for it, so Mercy players mass rez for more SR gains, and etc.
*edit*
Furthermore, it means that Blizzard can have their cake and eat it too. With high level players only playing for wins, and no longer playing to pad their stats, it means they can now truly use those stats as the intended benchmark to measure lower ranked players. Blizzard should be proud about this, seems they found a decent middle ground for their system.
Curious what will happen to all the dps one tricks when they stop getting there SR padded by the hidden MMR. Comps been such a disaster since the one trick mentality kind of took over and people cared more about padding there stats than they did winning, havent even been able to muster the effort to finish placements its been so bad. Damage oriented characters got so much SR padding from this system that people were rewarded for instalocking 1 hero and ignoring there team.
12/08/2017 08:03 PMPosted by Puffs
Curious what will happen to all the dps one tricks when they stop getting there SR padded by the hidden MMR. Comps been such a disaster since the one trick mentality kind of took over and people cared more about padding there stats than they did winning, havent even been able to muster the effort to finish placements its been so bad. Damage oriented characters got so much SR padding from this system that people were rewarded for instalocking 1 hero and ignoring there team.

Yes, but I wouldn't jump in right away just yet, because it will still take some time for the system to normalize finding the new top ranks and adjusting to those new values.

which it seems is the only players that OW team cares about .. the upper parts as well as the pro/OWL players ...
12/08/2017 04:05 PMPosted by QuantumFlux
That's neat and all but it won't get me to play comp again. I'm a platinum player and all this is gonna do is push the one trick ponies down to my SR, so basically comp is gonna be an even worse experience for me. THANKS BLIZZARD
u editied ur comment to add one word, great