I wanna play widow in comp.

Competitive Discussion
11/23/2017 03:05 AMPosted by Qon
11/23/2017 01:04 AMPosted by Eddimame

PS: Sometimes its better to avoid voice chat. However know this, if youre getting shutdown the past 2 min and your team asks you to swap, if you ignore them, thats poor teamwork. I see that personally as a reportable offence. Being heavily outplayed by tracer, genji, monkey, lucio - means time to swap.

FYI: You can get banned for false reports.

"I see that personally as a reportable offence."
Well Blizzard makes the rules, not you. Don't abuse the report system to enforce your personal rules. It doesn't matter how you personally see it when the public ladder isn't your personal private ladder.

sure will do, when they have clear rules. Poor teamwork as of right now is very broad. It can mean a lot of things.

If a player sticks to one hero even though its clear as day that the player isnt doing much (coz of clear shutdown as in dying 5x in a row without trade kills), is unwilling to communicate and unwilling to cooperate, that is throwing.

If thats not throwing then what is? (jumping off the map and afk on a side note).

Some people call it soft throwing. Whatever it is, its willingly making your team lose the game.

"But im doing my best sir"

Getting killed over and over coz of counter isnt doing your best.
You will be. The community is really quite rotten and nasty. You will also be reported any time you don't have a flawless match so I'd suggest you invest in 2-3 extra accounts and split your playtime so you never hit the punishment threshold.
11/22/2017 11:22 PMPosted by SashaSundae
I want to start maining her in competitive but I'm just afraid I'll get harassed for playing her.

there is a great book called: the art of not giving a f*ck. this also implies to comp mode. although you already ask nicely ( too nice/carefull in my opinion) you can do whatever you like. its a game. ye a balanced team is always nice but you dont have to always put others before yourself.

11/23/2017 06:41 AMPosted by CheatinTom
You will be. The community is really quite rotten and nasty. You will also be reported any time you don't have a flawless match so I'd suggest you invest in 2-3 extra accounts and split your playtime so you never hit the punishment threshold.

this is the dumbest suggestion i heard in a while. NOBODY should ever buy 2 or 3 accounts because you want to play a certain hero. its throwing away money and the chance that you get banned is pretty much 0. so dont listen to this guy
Get good in QP as Widow and there should be no problem when migrating to Comp.
Just don't be an @SS and practice her in Comp and you won't get harassed.
11/23/2017 07:18 AMPosted by Nemesis
I want to start maining her in competitive but I'm just afraid I'll get harassed for playing her.

there is a great book called: the art of not giving a f*ck. this also implies to comp mode. although you already ask nicely ( too nice/carefull in my opinion) you can do whatever you like. its a game. ye a balanced team is always nice but you dont have to always put others before yourself.

11/23/2017 06:41 AMPosted by CheatinTom

this is the dumbest suggestion i heard in a while. NOBODY should ever buy 2 or 3 accounts because you want to play a certain hero. its throwing away money and the chance that you get banned is pretty much 0. so dont listen to this guy

Lol, go play nothing but widow for a few weeks and actually play for 8 hours a day. Doubt you'll make it more than 2 weeks before getting your first 1 day suspension for "disruptive behavior", which is code for a bunch of salt blocks reported you and the comouter automatically banned.
11/23/2017 06:36 AMPosted by Eddimame
If thats not throwing then what is?
Intentionally losing the game.

Playing a specific hero isn't throwing. Not being in voice or chat is not against the rules, even if you personally see it like that.
Just mute chat altogether and play her religiously. I did that with Sym in s6 and got to diamond, would have got higher if my good laptop didnt break.

I believe there was also a Torb main recently on posting on forums saying they got to masters doing this.

Srsly, give it a go. People say communication is key, but it is unreal how much ur sr /win-loss ratio increases when ur not being exposed to consistent toxic comments.

Also isn't Widow like borderline meta since the buffs/rise of Pharah? She has on demand wall hax now and everything. As long as you can aim, I wouldnt be concerned.
My advice to you would be to actually be decent with her. And be willing to switch when you realize your not getting kills or putting out much damage.

I’ve seen plenty of widows in comp. some who do good work, and some who don’t do anything but stubbornly shoot at the Reinhardt shield the whole match as if they think they’re actually doing something.

Play your hero, work with your team, and switch of it isn’t working, but that’s my policy for ANY hero.
11/23/2017 09:36 AMPosted by Tuwiki
some who don’t do anything but stubbornly shoot at the Reinhardt shield the whole match as if they think they’re actually doing something.
You need to help her out with that shield. I see so many idiot DPS stubbornly refuse to shoot it because they're afraid they'll get called out for 'cheesing' or something.

Breaking barriers is a good, desirable thing to do. Because you know what happens when she's not the only one shooting the shield, and it breaks? She can then start shooting the likes of Mercy or Ana or Junkrat or Symmetra who are going to cause your CQC players problems.
People will flip if you aren't getting at least 3 headshots every fight, not worth it
Tip: don't play her only on attack and Genji on def and you'll get flamed less.

No problem with having a good widow on my team, but if you see yourself going for a minute without a pick then please switch, her kit is very rewarding to you and your team if you play good but anything other than that the punishment is severe. even if you just played S76 and kill nothing at least you can bank on getting into a sneaky position for a tac visor, now with widow there is no silver lining at all. And also if the enemy team has a winston or dva to focus you, make no mistake you will spend over half the match running away or respawning.

TLDR: go for it but know when to switch.
11/23/2017 08:59 AMPosted by KaKao
11/23/2017 06:36 AMPosted by Eddimame
If thats not throwing then what is?
Intentionally losing the game.

Playing a specific hero isn't throwing. Not being in voice or chat is not against the rules, even if you personally see it like that.

Okay help me out here.

So its not considered intentionally losing if youre lets say a widow on oasis that is getting 0 picks and keeps getting killed by enemy tracer, genji, monkey, dva and lucio?

I mean I can also run up on an opposite way escalator screaming to my team that I am trying my best to win the race - but like there is this thing as common sense right? You cant just shrug your shoulders and go:"Oh well...I couldnt set up my turret for even a second and have a KD of 6 to 14. But I tried my best :("

Im not saying everyone should flex but where is the red line? When can we report a disruptive player?
Just be who you want.

I don't play competitive much, but I love being widowmaker in it.

Once you get good at her, the complaints won't be as fierce.

Horrible advise IMO. practice in QP & FFA and when you feel confident enough take her to comp. this not giving a !@#$ business will leave you with a free falling SR and bans. Same goes for any role or hero practice first before going to comp. There's a reason comp is locked until lvl 25 (too low IMO) & new heroes are locked out of comp for sometime after release.
The honest truth is that if you want to snipe, you should main all the snipers and hitscans. Be able to use Widow/Ana/Hanzo/McCree/Soldier and know which positions and objectives to use each for. Widowmaker is great on the attacking CP objective of King's Row! Ana/McCree are great when there's a bigger dive threat and you have good tanks. Soldier is ideal when there are no good sightlines and you're being countered way too hard. Hanzo works best when there are enclosed spaces and narrow sightlines. Widowmaker/Hanzo get completely swatted by Winston, and if this happens, consider switching to Ana, so you can sleep dart him and reposition. (Though Reaper would be ideal.) If they are really going dive hard, they have too many barriers, or you already have an Ana, you'll need Soldier/McCree and you would do your team more harm than good by staying a sniper.

Also please remember that snipers have to get on the objective when their whole team dies, to try and preserve overtime until they get back. Letting overtime end because you are a sniper is basically surrendering/throwing.
wanna play widow be my guest, the moment I see you not getting any kills I will ask you to change, you refuse then there is reason to report you, just playing a specific hero is not bannable if it was half this games players would already be banned >_> points a tank at hanzo genji weeaboos
TBH, barely ever got flamed lately, and I played hanzo and 3 dps.. As long as you do well...they wont complain. You just gotta try do your best and swtich if it doesn't work.

You're going to get harassed regardless of what hero you pick. It seems inevitable in comp these days. So, just play a hero that fits the comp and the map, and if you judge that to be Widowmaker then go for it.
The worst widows from gold down share one aggravating trait: they stay behind the team and try to get picks.

In the back, the only kills you're going to get are the enemies who push thru your team or flank, and it's already too late to engage them. Your team is on the defensive, and they need you picking the healers and tanks. Doing that effectively requires you to be flanking yourself so you can aim around shields. Even if you get most of the elims, you still didn't help much because the entire match was a 6v5 for the enemy team around the point. Defend from the back, but put your fire where it's needed on attack. Use your grappling hook to get to safety when you're spotted, and find a new hiding place ASAP.

King's Row is a good example. When a team has a Widowmaker standing in the spawn area, you pretty much know they're not getting in. All you need to do is stand behind the statue or around the corner and you've effectively made the game into a 6v5. If she moves to the theater you can just back up against the walls and she can't see you. She only starts to be a remote threat when she goes through the choke and can actually see the point.

If you want to play Widow every single match, no matter whether you're attacking or defending, whatever the map is, then you're going to be playing her when you really shouldn't be sometimes.. and then things like leaving VC will help you cope with the salt... but they're not going to help your SR much.