Buff Lucio's Ultimate.

General Discussion
1 2 3 6 Next
Lucio's Sound Barrier is too weak and needs a buff.

In theory, it is designed to be used when a few people on your team (possibly including Lucio himself) are low on health, so you can buy some extra time to heal up or get enough picks so you don't have to, or to be used when huge damage to several heroes on your team is immediately imminent, like with a Reaper or Junkrat Ultimate.

In practice, due to its huge activation delay, half of those times it either takes effect too late, after the damage is already done and half your team is already dead, or it telegraphs to the enemy Reaper to just wait a few more seconds before using his own ult, which, due to the fast decay of barrier health, is probably not that hard to do, or worst of all, it sends a huge red flag to the enemy McCree, Doomfist or Roadhog to stun or kill you out of it (likely the latter because you are likely to want to use it in a situation where you are already on low health yourself) before the silly activation jump is finished, in which case you wasted all your ult charge for no benefit whatsoever.

Let me re-emphasize this: Lucio is easily and overly punished for trying to use an ult while being on low health that is designed to save his team from being on low health. He is easily punished for trying to use his ult from a highly visible position (because more enemies get to shoot at you this way) that needs to be activated from a highly visible position in order to maximize the number of teammates it affects. And even when he doesn't get cheated out of his ult charge and the damn thing activates, often times it either activates too late or the enemy team notices it and simply waits a bit longer to create the situation the Sound Barrier is designed to counter.

Outside of a very few niche situations (which I am aware of and don't need a lecture on), Zenyatta's Transcendence is superior in every way.

My suggestion is to do away with the activation delay entirely or significantly reduce it and/or at least change it to only consume the charge when it takes effect rather than when it's being activated.
You can't take away the activation delay because Lucio's ultimate is just THAT big a difference, reducing it slightly might be OK. And if you're using it to save low health teammates, you're doing it wrong. That's what Trans or Coalescence is for. Ultimate like Sound Barrier and Valkyrie are better used when a lot of damage is about to barrel it's way into your team, to minimize the damage done
12/06/2017 08:44 AMPosted by JakuNonon
You can't take away the activation delay because Lucio's ultimate is just THAT big a difference, reducing it slightly might be OK. And if you're using it to save low health teammates, you're doing it wrong. That's what Trans or Coalescence is for. Ultimate like Sound Barrier and Valkyrie are better used when a lot of damage is about to barrel it's way into your team, to minimize the damage done

Yes, and even then it's bound to fail, because by the time the damn thing activates, a huge chunk of that damage will already have barreled its way into your team, so to speak. And I already addressed this situation in the original post, read up.

Also, if you happen to be Lucio at the moment three guys on your team simultaneously lose a big chunk of their health and are still in the line of fire, you don't say to the enemy team "guys, wait, let me walk back to spawn, switch to Zenyatta or Moira and build ult charge because JakuNonon said this situation is what Transcendence or Coalescence is for." You either activate Sound Barrier or just watch one or two of those people die.

eeeeeeeh

I agree with OP. Transcendence is superior in every single way when dealing with high incoming damage. Sound Barrier has 2 and only 2 real uses.

These two ultimates are meant to counter offensive ultimates.

Transcendence is superior against:
>Pharah
>Reaper
>Roadhog
>Zarya
>Genji
>Soldier 76
>Orissa
>Torbjorn
>Hanzo

Sound Barrier is superior against:
>McCree
>Junkrat
>Bastion
>Tracer

Basically Sound Barrier only has an edge when the ultimate is going to kill a team mate in a single shot, preventing Transcendence from healing them. HOWEVER the delay -kills- this ability. McCree and Tracer have ults that go off so fast that Sound Barrier -cannot- be used reactively in time to save people. You have to predict when they're going to use it and Sound Barrier at the same time. Even if you do that though, McCree can just sit there with Dead Eye on and wait it out and still get the one-shot kills. It just takes longer.

Same thing with Bastion. It might make the first kill take 2 shots, but after that the barrier will have decayed to the point where it's not saving anyone else. Junkrat can just ride his riptire around and wait it out as well.

Tracer might be the only hero it -actually- counters because Pulse Bomb is low enough damage that the shield will block it -and- can't wait out the shield (if it's timed perfectly) before detonating.

So you just have to predict your enemy's ult usage perfectly, and you can save your team from 1 specific pick.

Eliminating the delay on Sound Barrier would go a long way to allowing you to use it reactively against a bunch of other heroes.
12/06/2017 08:54 AMPosted by SaintVeloth

Yes, and even then it's bound to fail, because by the time the damn thing activates, a huge chunk of that damage will already have barreled its way into your team, so to speak. And I already addressed this situation in the original post, read up.

Also, if you happen to be Lucio at the moment three guys on your team simultaneously lose a big chunk of their health and are still in the line of fire, you don't say to the enemy team "guys, wait, let me walk back to spawn, switch to Zenyatta or Moira and build ult charge because JakuNonon said this situation is what Transcendence or Coalescence is for." You either activate Sound Barrier or just watch one or two of those people die.
I never said you had to walk back to spawn for either of those two. If it's unavoidable, then so be it, you aren't always going to drop the beat in time, but you DO prevent a lot of damage with your ult. It's not meant to save low health teammates, it's meant to keep your team going, hopefully until the team fight is over.
It would be nice to not lose the ult until the casting is complete.
It is probably the weakest of the support ultimates honestly. Decent, but not as useful in most situations as the others. The biggest thing right now is that it can save people from Junkrat tires, since he's popular at the moment, but that requires you to have the timing perfect. Do it too early and the shields decay and the tire kills them anyway, activate it slightly too late and you'll die during the cast time and lose the ult altogether.
@TGFWilliam:
Thank you for elaborating on this point. I completely agree with you on everything you have said up there.
12/06/2017 09:01 AMPosted by SaintVeloth
@TGFWilliam:
Thank you for elaborating on this point. I completely agree with you on everything you have said up there.
I can see your point more clearly now after reading his post. I'll admit that I was wrong. (Honestly though, if anything, I'd much rather see Lucio's Ult be a massive Pulse of healing with an HOT effect)
Sound barrier is a great ult to initiate with when you know the enemy team lacks any ults to really stop you. Its a good defensive ult as well. I just think take too long to decide to use it and never compensate for the hangtime. A lot of lucios have seen reaper on high ground about to jump down then wait until he lands to try to sound barrier. The death blossom has already started and you still need to get off the ground. That is not on the move having cast time. That is on you poorly casting it too late. Sound barrier is not a support ult that you can decide to use at the last possible minute.
I think increasing the ability's duration by 1 second (600 shields and 6 seconds of decay time) and making the cast either instantaneous or near instantaneous would make sound barrier much better but still not too powerful.
12/06/2017 09:05 AMPosted by BraveHearted
Sound barrier is a great ult to initiate with when you know the enemy team lacks any ults to really stop you. Its a good defensive ult as well. I just think take too long to decide to use it and never compensate for the hangtime. A lot of lucios have seen reaper on high ground about to jump down then wait until he lands to try to sound barrier. The death blossom has already started and you still need to get off the ground. That is not on the move having cast time. That is on you poorly casting it too late. Sound barrier is not a support ult that you can decide to use at the last possible minute.

I will agree with this somewhat.

My previous post made it sound like Sound Barrier is ONLY good against Pulse Bomb use and never in any other case, and that's not totally true. Using it mid team fight -can- swing that fight around. It is a 500 damage shield to everyone around you, after all. That's more than a few headshots worth from your opponents and that can be just the edge you need.
So to elaborate on other advantages:
Lucio
>He can ult and then still fight like normal, meaning his team gets his damage and he can still boop people off ledges and give speed boosts and what not

Zenyatta
>He is himself completely immune to damage for the duration

I actually don't know about Line of Sight on Zenyatta's ult, but I know Lucio's -will not- apply to people if they are within range but walk around a corner. That's another big fix I'd like to see implemented: Sound Barrier should be completely based on distance and not sight. It's not like you stop being able to hear people if they're behind a car or something....
I always said that the interruptible ultimate on Lucio was unwelcomed. Lucio was fine before.

This maybe an unwelcome opinion but he should at least get the temp HP instantly. If they want to delay it for everyone else, then fine.
As much as the feedback and discussion is appreciated, we don't currently consider Sound Barrier as an ultimate in need of a power increase.

We're listening, though and look forward to hearing more of your thoughts.
Hey stylosa! How goes it?
12/06/2017 09:26 AMPosted by Jeff Kaplan
As much as the feedback and discussion is appreciated, we don't currently consider Sound Barrier as an ultimate in need of a power increase.

Interesting. I wonder what ultimates ARE on that list.

I mean after all ultimates are meant to be powerful, so they must be hard to balance.
My problem is either
1. Increase the time it takes before it automatically dissipates.
2. Make it so he can't lose the ultimate when pressing Q/Y/Triangle.

Honestly, adding that ultimate change to Lucio's sound barrier was a huge nerf considering it was already one of the worst support ults, goes away in 5 seconds anyways, and is one of the slowest charging ultimates. Now to have him be extra cautious about the use of it as well or he loses it, makes the ultimate even worse.
12/06/2017 09:27 AMPosted by ColinthePyro
Hey stylosa! How goes it?

Why in every topic?
Same here, what about Sound Barrier is fine in the developer's eyes? What options would you be open to consider?

It's good to know you guys are listening but do know that we're always open to what Blizzard might suggest. A blue post is always a spark for conversation.

do you consider symmetra someone in need of some sort of power increase?