Is diversity a problem amongst the pros?

General Discussion
11/16/2017 10:16 AMPosted by Ebisu
This may have been previously posted, if so I apologize for beating a dead horse.

Does anyone believe that there is a diversity problem in the pro scene? I noticed that most, if not all, the players in the pro teams are either white or Asian. Now, I understand that teams will ultimately recruit the very best players and, we would like to hope, that they fit that role.

I'm not saying that the league is discriminating against people, mostly because the overwatch pro scene is still young, but from the millions of players around the world they couldn't seem to find a single player who isn't A white or Asian male?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you need to get a life and stop worrying about stupid things. Beat it nerd.
A part of it is the areas of the world that have produced the best Overwatch players. The world cup was Sweden, England, Canada, Australia, France, China, USA, South Korea.

Obviously all types of people live in all places, but these are all predominantly white or oriental countries. If these are the areas of the world that have the best players, it's no wonder OWL is mostly white and oriental. It has nothing to do with race and I'm sure we'll see many different demographics enter the OWL over time.
grabs popcorn
11/16/2017 10:44 AMPosted by defender465
grabs popcorn

Haha. I love this comment.
11/16/2017 10:32 AMPosted by Ebisu

Again, your point is well understood. I don't need for you to define what a pro gamer is.

What I wanted to explore in the discussion was the possibility that maybe people are kept out of the game because of socioeconomic, or even prejudice reasons.

It's easy to look the other way and dismiss it as a non issue, but that would be irresponsible.

Unless you can provide any relevant data that suggests why a certain demographic doesn't make it to the top in games, there's nothing to discuss.

One says racism, the other says no. That's it, that's all the discussion you can have without any data.
11/16/2017 10:43 AMPosted by Svennyblaze
11/16/2017 10:16 AMPosted by Ebisu
This may have been previously posted, if so I apologize for beating a dead horse.

Does anyone believe that there is a diversity problem in the pro scene? I noticed that most, if not all, the players in the pro teams are either white or Asian. Now, I understand that teams will ultimately recruit the very best players and, we would like to hope, that they fit that role.

I'm not saying that the league is discriminating against people, mostly because the overwatch pro scene is still young, but from the millions of players around the world they couldn't seem to find a single player who isn't A white or Asian male?

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you need to get a life and stop worrying about stupid things. Beat it nerd.

How is it stupid to want to have an actual discussion with other gamers about an issue that affects gamers?

Too much thinking must hurt you I assume. You can sit this one out if you want.
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Get this SJW Crap out of here. Delete! Delete! Abort! Abort!

Talent or GTFO or make your own all <insert some under represented group here> team and be done with it.

Moderator please delete this entire thread.
Quality Troll. 10/10

Take notes people.

The Pro's are just that, the pro's. They are considered the best of the best. They aren't chosen just because of what they are. They are chosen because out of those millions upon millions they have shown extraordinary skill and prowess at the game, and agreed to play for the chosen team. I doubt very seriously that the people who run the teams care whether or not the person is a male or female, or what race they are. They just care if they can play well, and win.

Again, your point is well understood. I don't need for you to define what a pro gamer is.

What I wanted to explore in the discussion was the possibility that maybe people are kept out of the game because of socioeconomic, or even prejudice reasons.

It's easy to look the other way and dismiss it as a non issue, but that would be irresponsible.

No.

Socioeconomic? As in, I cannot afford a game system? Sure. The Michael Jordan of gaming COULD be some poor kid in South Carolina.

Sure.

Prejudiced? No. Nobody cares if you frag out and own.
11/16/2017 10:47 AMPosted by Firellius

Unless you can provide any relevant data that suggests why a certain demographic doesn't make it to the top in games, there's nothing to discuss.

One says racism, the other says no. That's it, that's all the discussion you can have without any data.

It's a long read, but if you have a few mins check out

" gaming while black casual racism to cautious optimism "

Plenty of objective, systemic, stats there.
11/16/2017 10:48 AMPosted by KiloCycle
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Get this SJW Crap out of here. Delete! Delete! Abort! Abort!

Talent or GTFO or make your own all <insert some under represented group here> team and be done with it.

Moderator please delete this entire thread.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>T_D
Snow of Boston Uprising was born in Ethiopia
Nomy of SF Shock was born in Mexico
iRemixx of LA Gladiators was born in Puerto Rico
Hydration of LA Gladiators was born in Brazil
Mickie of Dallas Fuel was born in Thailand
Eqo of Philadelphia Fusion was born in Israel
and GrimReality of LA Valiant is of african american descent

And if we're not just focusing on people from the middle east, South America or Africa. There are people from 18 different countries represented by 12 teams.

I think there's plenty of diversity.
It is game preference.

I go to fighting game tournaments, and am regularly 1 of 3 white people, and the rest are black/hispanic people. To be good at a fighting game requires a lot of time as well. So the time issue isn't a thing.

Then the cost of travel to get to the tournaments could be used to get a computer, so cost to buy a computer isn't a thing either.

I go there with my OW backpack as well, and a lot of the fighting game players just say it isn't their thing. They love the art, and the way the characters look but just don't like FPS games much. Or aren't good at them.
Diversity for the sake of diversity is bull!@#$.

Pick the best person for the job, period. These teams are playing to win championships, and there just aren't that many pro-level black gamers.
11/16/2017 10:53 AMPosted by Kesh
Diversity for the sake of diversity is bull!@#$.

Pick the best person for the job, period. These teams are playing to win championships, and there just aren't that many pro-level black gamers.

In FPS anyway.
Honestly I find "diversity hires" to be offensive and more racist than just hiring or recruiting whoever is more qualified.
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and opinions and thanks for remaining ( somewhat ) civil.

I didn't mean to start a huge argument, or to troll.

It is well within my understanding that teams want to recruit the very best players, regardless of race. That is a given.

I was compelled to reach out to the community because I believe it may be a deeper, systemic issue, that had yet to be hashed out. I don't understand why everyone is so upset.

Thanks again for participating.
This is a bait thread, but the rest of you should be aware that when people say "diversity", they don't mean actual diversity, they mean black.
We from the Overwatch team apologize that fantasy doesn't represent reality. We will make sure to patch reality so it reflects fantasy much better. Thank you for the feedback.