[Feedback Thread] Mercy Updates - Nov 16, 2017

General Discussion
1 2 3 314 Next
Hi everyone,

We've seen a heavy influx of conversations revolving around recent hero balance updates, especially those revolving around Mercy.

In an effort to consolidate feedback and create a steady location for users to share their impressions or opinions, please use this thread.
Mercy
  • Caduceus Staff
    • Increased visual readability of Mercy’s healing and damage boosting beams
  • Resurrect
      • Cast time increased from 0 seconds to 1.75 seconds
      • Mercy’s movement speed is now reduced by 75% while casting
      • Can now be interrupted when Mercy is knocked back, stunned, or hacked
  • Valkyrie
      • While active, Resurrect no longer has a cast time
      • While active, casting Resurrect does not reduce Mercy's movement speed

Developer Comments: We feel that Mercy’s recent rework has been successful, but her Resurrect ability still feels too strong and frustrating to play against. Now that it has a cast time, enemies are more able to counter the ability. However, Resurrect will cast instantly when Valkyrie is active. This should make her feel powerful when she transforms on the battlefield.

We appreciate your feedback, as it will assist us and provide insight on improving your Overwatch experience.

Thank you.
    Highly Rated
    My thoughts on Mercy's current state.

1) The cast time is fine, with room for adjustment.
    *Respawning vs. Resurrecting has issues.
    -i.e. your team's mercy resurrecting you or another team mate who is near
    the end of there respawn cooldown, respawning at "base", and the rez still
    going off and going on cooldown. (my personal big issue with this)
    *Possible solution to this
    -pause respawn timer/prevent it from going out while Mercy is resurrecting
    target player
    -reset Mercy's resurrect if target player respawns before resurrect takes
    effect

2) The non-reset to GA when ulting is dandy. No problems have been had (by me
    at least.)

3) The Movement speed reduction seems sorta harsh, and if the patch notes truly
    didn't mention it then that's a problem, but my experience with it as of this
    time is neutral.
    Highly Rated
    The -75% movement penalty is completely redundant as Mercy has to stay within 5 meters for about 2 seconds to rez the target anyways.
    It's needlessly punishing.

If keeping both is the plan:
    PLEASE MAKE REZ CANCEL-ABLE!!!

If you'd like more feedback or suggestions, check out my post on the PTR forums here:
    https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20759330227#post-9

EDIT: Cut down the post.
    Highly Rated
    well the game is a lot less frustrating now she's been dealt with. i guess now you might aswell go back to 1.0. it'll keep the peace and we will never have to deal with that abomination again.
    Highly Rated
    wp blizzard, had me stop playing the game. Next time don't bother reworking a totally fine hero to nerf her to !@#$ then
    Highly Rated
    #OldRezBestRez!

But please. I think a good bit of people agree, we would like 1.0 Mercy back.

Thank you! :D
    Highly Rated
    REVERT!

That is, revert the healing and damage beam. They were better before.
    Highly Rated
    I'd be more than happy to provide more constructive feedback to you guys if I felt that all the constructive feedback that was given before had any impact at all.

At this point many feel that this is where their Mercy feedback goes to be forgotten.

This entire rework has been a PR nightmare, and honestly you've done a very poor job of managing it.

I get it. Speaking to people and getting backlash for your feedback is hard. Believe me, I'm a doctoral student and I have to get patient feedback all the time. People get passionate and comments can get heated.

But it's necessary if you want your community to feel like they matter and have a voice. I feel like right now, communication is extremely poor between the developers and the Mercy community.

You've never changed a hero to this degree, so I'd advise you to step up your efforts to reach out to the community.
    11/16/2017 02:40 PMPosted by Mercy
    #OldRezBestRez!

But please. I think a good bit of people agree, we would like 1.0 Mercy back.

Thank you! :D

yeah we do. but im happy now that she's not as powerful as she was. the first time since i started playing that i felt like giving up because of how stupidly overpowered mercy was.
    Highly Rated
    11/16/2017 02:34 PMPosted by Tom Powers
    Hi everyone,

We've seen a heavy influx of conversations revolving around recent hero balance updates, especially those revolving around Mercy.

In an effort to consolidate feedback and create a steady location for users to share their impressions or opinions, please use this thread.
    [url="https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/mercy/"]Mercy[/url]
    • Caduceus Staff
  • Resurrect
  • Valkyrie

Developer Comments: We feel that Mercy’s recent rework has been successful, but her Resurrect ability still feels too strong and frustrating to play against. Now that it has a cast time, enemies are more able to counter the ability. However, Resurrect will cast instantly when Valkyrie is active. This should make her feel powerful when she transforms on the battlefield.

We appreciate your feedback, as it will assist us and provide insight on improving your Overwatch experience.

Thank you.

Please remove the 75% movement speed reduction, it's the main thing people have been saying before the nerf went live that should be removed >.<

There is literally no reason to restrict her mobility during her cast time when she already has to be standing on top of her target to resurrect them

EDIT: I got out of a match half an hour ago, under threat of being reported because I wouldn't suicide res. This is acceptable now?
    Highly Rated
    This could've ALL been avoided, if we had kept 1.0 with a few tweaks.

The only problem with her was hiding in spawn on 2CP maps to Rez. That was a map design issue, not Mercys fault. Her Rezzing from behind walls just needed a simple LoS tweak.

ANY good Mercy player wouldn't hide even when she had multiple Rez. They would be actively trying to keep their team alive, weaving in and out of the fight.

Instead, we landed in this mess.
    Highly Rated
    Revert her.
    Killing Rez is not the answer.
    It's started already.
    Highly Rated
    If you removed Rez as an ability and gave her more Rezs available during Valkyrie, I'd be happy. You could even give her another E ability so she's more active during team fights, but this current version of her isn't very fun.

If you need time to rework her some more that's cool, but if I had to ask for immediate changes it'd be removing the slow effect.
    The game feels like it did before, it's fun to play and matches aren't endless back and forth kill the other mercy, it was time.

If it's one critique I'll have is that you need to remove ressurect from E and give the power to her ultimate or design a new E for her(damage % reduction ability on cast would be good). The Mercy players obviously don't like this nerf and if you make ressurect too easy to cast and Mercy is in every match again you will have alienated everyone who isn't a Mercy player.

It's okay to backtrack sometimes and a complete revert isn't needed but Ressurect has no place in this game as a regular ability.
    Highly Rated
    Look, another "Feedback" megathread with the only utility to remove the spam to the forum and then they will ignore everything we post.
    Highly Rated
    11/16/2017 02:34 PMPosted by Tom Powers
    Hi everyone,

[url="https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/heroes/mercy/"]Mercy[/url]
    • Caduceus Staff
  • Resurrect
  • Valkyrie

Thank you.

YOU IGNORED 164 PAGES OF PEOPLE WARNING YOU THAT THESE CHANGES WOULD KILL THE CHARACTER.

I just got out of a match where I was yelled at for playing ana to play mercy, then got my !@# repeatedly handed to me because surprise surprise, it's not that hard to kill a character that stands still for 2 seconds, even if they are smart about when they rez in competitive.

Why would I believe you this time?
    Highly Rated
    Another forum for feedback to never be responded too/ignored.

But that won't stop me from giving it.

The cast time is a welcome addition that helps give diversity to Mercys kit, making resurrect feel powerful in ultimate.

The slowdown is counter intuitive to her mobility and her new core identity as a highly mobile hero with heavy constant healing.

I say either lock Mercy to the ressurected target while she is casting so that she can still feel somewhat mobile and have a chance to dodge around

Or remove resurrect as an E, up the charges in valkryie, and give us an upward mobility ability on E that could be replaced when she uses Valkryie.

No character who's core identity is "high mobility" should be subjected to such a harsh slowdown. It just doesn't make sense.