Net Neutrality coming to an end, what means to Overwatch ?

General Discussion
If means nothing if you live outside america.

except it does, what happens when the servers' bandwidth are throttled in USA and you join a match precisely in USA also? my guess? that match is bonked for you too. and everyone who joined that game.. its only my guess, but still.
11/21/2017 03:57 PMPosted by MadSkull
If means nothing if you live outside america.

except it does, what happens when the servers' bandwidth are throttled in USA and you join a match precisely in USA also? my guess? that match is bonked for you too. and everyone who joined that game.. its only my guess, but still.
Correct. If the server your website is using is hosted in the United States, or is routed through a US server, it impacts your usage of the internet as well. Yet another consequence of the fool's errand that is "America First".
Well not all is lost i can imagin some big compagnies arn't that happy with this.
What happens.

Throttling can only be controlled between servers and the isps customers. My ping will remain the same.

In game, overwatch takes into consideration ping values when matching, so unlikely to be even matched with you.

As for the rest of the world will follow USA, get over yourselves. For example, already Brazil has apparently rejected it.
11/21/2017 04:14 PMPosted by Auro
What happens.

Throttling can only be controlled between servers and the isps customers. My ping will remain the same.

In game, overwatch takes into consideration ping values when matching, so unlikely to be even matched with you.

As for the rest of the world will follow USA, get over yourselves. For example, already Brazil has apparently rejected it.

It's still a huge blow to consumer rights if Net Neutrality is repealed, and needs to be addressed, so I don't see the purpose behind your post..
Almost all the big online games that I can play in Canada are hosted in the USA. A ton of websites that Canadian's frequent are American. It doesn't matter if we have net neutrality in Canada; the USA will determine the speed. But watch as our companies here jump on the bandwagon and try more bS like making us pay more or also sell our data without permission (which they already get away with)
11/21/2017 04:25 PMPosted by Eguzky
It's still a huge blow to consumer rights if Net Neutrality is repealed, and needs to be addressed, so I don't see the purpose behind your post..

My point is, its an internal american issue and not an international one.

Even Europe rejected it, see this post from last year. (note I haven't checked its validity, but its probably just as valid a these forum posts)

https://juliareda.eu/tag/net-neutrality/
Watch internet based companies leave the US because of this threat. They can come to Canada where we actually enforce our fair use laws.
11/21/2017 03:39 PMPosted by Pigeon
11/21/2017 02:17 PMPosted by Morrov555
As an European, I'm genuinely scarred what might happen after it passes.
You, poor guys, are first to get affected by this, but surely if it happens in US, it will happen outside of it.
Let's just hope that this isn't the begining of the, let's call it, "TV" era of the internet.

I live in the UK and if the US has done this then the UK with its conservative government will probably follow shortly after...

No matter your political views, everyone must unite against this. It's an invasion of our rights.

Here in Poland, back in 2010, they tried to push something called ACTA. In a big simplification, it restricted your freedom of speech on the internet, development of open source programs and some other stuff.
People literally rioted on the streets, to the point where it was rejected.
Let's hope the same thing will happen if the anti net neutrality plague spreads to us.
I just realized; I stream retro games (only 15 followers away from meeting Twitch Affiliate status!)

If Net Neutrality is repealed, I may have to pay ISP's out of pocket or have my streams throttled. -.-
11/21/2017 04:40 PMPosted by SoaringEagle
On second thought, after much consideration, and after reading several posts on this forum, maybe we should just let it pass. All the Internet has done is make people into selfish, rude, discriminatory jerks.

Yeah, have fun spending money on a packet that can allow you to use Spotify, which you also have to pay for.

What's even the point of having fast internet then? I'm on 250mb/s, for the equivalent of 25-30 dollars/month.
It would be literally useless if they could just cut half off of it for no reason.
11/21/2017 04:35 PMPosted by Auro
11/21/2017 04:25 PMPosted by Eguzky

My point is, its an internal american issue and not an international one.

Even Europe rejected it, see this post from last year. (note I haven't checked its validity, but its probably just as valid a these forum posts)

https://juliareda.eu/tag/net-neutrality/
Ahem ... http://www.businessinsider.com/net-neutrality-portugal-how-american-internet-could-look-fcc-2017-11
Also to mention, anyone saying it won't affect anyone but America...

Blizzard Entertainment is based in California. Which is in the US.

If Blizzard has slower speeds or has to pay more to get the good speed, EVERYONE has to pay more. Now, even if you aren't in the US, it's going to impact a lot of things in Blizzard, such as how fast they respond to issues in the servers, it's going to affect the Overwatch league which we all know is bad because they are trying so hard to make it a selling point... I mean if viewers can't get to their streams because of !@#$ internet, or even play the game, that is an enormous amount of players and business gone. Not just Overwatch, it's going to hit every game of theirs.
you know there's going to be that one company that doesn't comply and just has everything for one package then they get all the business.

at least I hope.
11/21/2017 05:24 PMPosted by Rosey
Also to mention, anyone saying it won't affect anyone but America...

Blizzard Entertainment is based in California. Which is in the US.

If Blizzard has slower speeds or has to pay more to get the good speed, EVERYONE has to pay more. Now, even if you aren't in the US, it's going to impact a lot of things in Blizzard, such as how fast they respond to issues in the servers, it's going to affect the Overwatch league which we all know is bad because they are trying so hard to make it a selling point... I mean if viewers can't get to their streams because of !@#$ internet, or even play the game, that is an enormous amount of players and business gone. Not just Overwatch, it's going to hit every game of theirs.

yup exactly this, basically this going to screw everything done until now, but my question is blizzard anticipating some type of service or backup plan if this monstrosity from the FCC pass or we gonna need to deal with the ISP provider alone.
11/21/2017 03:56 PMPosted by Abeyenopixel
You should care, because if this fail in U.S, other world leaders will follow suit because $$$.

Makes me think of that "they came for x and I said nothing" quote.
Trump is ruining so much over there.
Wonder how the people who did vote for him feel now.
11/21/2017 05:40 PMPosted by FluffyDango
Trump is ruining so much over there.
Wonder how the people who did vote for him feel now.

They continue to ignore every stupid action he takes that threatens their very lively hood and smile and say 'He's JUST what we needed!'

The Blisstopian Springs Of Ignorance are WONDERFUL this time of year.