How Are You Supposed to Get Better at this Game???

General Discussion
How? Just how?

Don't tell me Quick play. Nobody takes that seriously. Never any healers. Everyone is retarded. Stupid enemy widow hits accidental headshots every 10 seconds.

Don't tell me Deathmatch. It takes no skill. Go cheeze. Steal other's kills. Moira auto locks everything and is the queen of Deathmatch kill steals.

Don't tell me Comp. No one wants a noob whatever hero trying to practice. Nor does anyone want to lose SR.

So HOW?????
Well, sounds like you complain a lot. Are you a toxic player? Toxicity literally ruins team synergy 100% and gets your teammates tilted = bad playing. Be nice to your teammates and be positive and they will be happier playing with you and you'll work together a lot better.
First step is to stop being toxic and blaming everyone else for your misfortune
Answer is to play comp and not care about SR.

When you learn the new character you WILL get back SR you lost while training.
11/23/2017 05:57 PMPosted by WeatherGamer
How? Just how?

Don't tell me Quick play. Nobody takes that seriously. Never any healers. Everyone is retarded. Stupid enemy widow hits accidental headshots every 10 seconds.

Don't tell me Deathmatch. It takes no skill. Go cheeze. Steal other's kills. Moira auto locks everything and is the queen of Deathmatch kill steals.

Don't tell me Comp. No one wants a noob whatever hero trying to practice. Nor does anyone want to lose SR.

So HOW?????

I just played a !@#$ load of comp in silver rank when I was a low level
Jesus Christ....

Well, whether you like it or not you need to mess around in all of those modes. Any mode from Training Room to Competitive is fine. You'll be tested by A.I and players depending on where you go to play.

Playing different characters on different maps helps. You'll learn which maps are good for each hero. Each character plays differently from the last so you will need to experiment quite a bit on the ones you really like.

For example; I was having a hard time getting use to Genji and Lucio. Try as I might I wasn't doing too well. Turns out that all I really had to do was map their Jump to another key/button and there you have it! My gameplay improved from there.

Watching youtube tip/guide videos helps as well. You'd be surprised what you will learn from them. I only recently found out that you can free your teammates (and yourself), from Junkrat's trap using Mei's ice wall. I also found out from a video that as Mercy, I can use my damage boost to help D.VA get her mech back faster as well as make ults charge a tad bit faster.

Each character (even the "no skill" ones), takes time to learn. They all have potential to turn a game around. You just need to know how to use them effectively. If you don't curb your frustrations/attitude then you won't get far. You have to be open minded and flexible to truly get better at this game.
You're either baiting, or you're just a whiny crybaby. Either way I'll give you an actual suggestion:

Mystery Heroes. I started playing it as a way to get a handle on various characters without having to worry about perfect team synergy on quickplay or fighting against braindead AI. It's worked pretty well for me so far, I've gotten better at quite a few characters thanks to this mode.

Plus, if you suck and don't know what you're doing, you don't really need to worry about it. Sometimes you get stuck with characters you're bad at, or sometimes you go up against a team with three Reins and a Torb. Randomness is the entire point, so people just shrug it off when they lose. No saltiness, just "welp, that didn't work out" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I started Halo 2 just playing split screen with my brothers. I was serious about getting better and constantly played people better than me. My hometown had a LAN center and I played against a professional team on the regular. At my best, I was beating them 50% of the time and confident that I was their skill or better.

Tl;dr - Play people better than you and get your !@# kicked a little. It's a learning experience.

EDIT: Realization. I was a 14 year-old DPS champion and now I'm a 30 year-old Mercy main. Fourteen year-old Eric would be so disappointed in 30 year-old Eric.
11/23/2017 06:31 PMPosted by WingedHussar
Mystery Heroes. I started playing it as a way to get a handle on various characters without having to worry about perfect team synergy on quickplay or fighting against braindead AI. It's worked pretty well for me so far, I've gotten better at quite a few characters thanks to this mode.
Plus, don't usually have to worry about people screaming at you for being terrible since they'll just assume you got a bad random selection of heroes.
Create a custom game. Fill it with hard bots. Play that.

Now not only are you playing against enemies that are programmed to be literally aimbots, but your salty behind is taken out of the player pool.
Sounds like your bad attitude is holding you back.
watching people play a hero on a high skill bases helps. usually everything is done in a pattern. example for genji: throw shurikens, reflect, dash, turn around a melee (this is just an example that i see many genji players do, in no way am i saying this is op or it should be nerfed it's only an example).

sometimes you just have to play with that quick play team where there's no real composition? and just try your best. not every match there's gonna be instalocks in quick play and if there is, take a break or practice a support or tank role (knowing how to flex is key)
How? Just how?

So HOW?????

HAHAHAHAHA, the game wont let you, end of story. It will pit stronger and stronger foes against you while giving you much weaker and weaker teammates.

tl;dr Because Equality, NN and Diversity sezs so.
Why get better? We have Junkrat.

Downvote me Junkfag mains.
Take a look at your post and you will see your big flaw holding you back. It's excuses. This whole post is just an excuse to not even try. How are you going to improve if you're too busy whining to even play?

A lot of players have this problem. But once you curb this habit things will get better for you.
11/23/2017 06:08 PMPosted by Hogfather
Answer is to play comp and not care about SR.

When you learn the new character you WILL get back SR you lost while training.

I would do this, but can't do it out of feeling a since of guilt towards screwing over my own teammates because I'm pretty bad. That's the main reason I do quick play. It does suck that team composition goes out the window, but I still have fun.
I think it is kind of a fair question though, OP was kind of salty about asking it though. Being new stepping into comp is kind of tough. It really feels like trying to balance getting better at what you want to do vs what the team needs. Most of my play time in comps probably on Mercy since in the pregame lobby no one really wants to heal.

The majority of my play time is spent doing Gengu things in QP or the arcade because Gengu stuff is the funnest stuff for me personally.

I get having to fill for the team since it is a team game, but I'm just curious if there's ever a time to just be selfish and see if my Gengu game in QP translates to comp.

I keep hearing just play who you want to play in comp, you'll get back the SR you lost learning but I don't think that's fair to the other five guys on the team. Me just practicing knowing it will probably go poorly because I picked another dps when a tank or a healer would be better.

Not trying to say OP was right with his approach but I'm just genuinely wondering when it's "okay" to do play the heroes I practice on in comp. I record my matches to watch them back and see my mistakes and stuff, it would be nice to get some stuff from comp on Gengu to learn from and improve on
Record your games and watch them back. Be brutally honest with yourself about the mistakes you see. Put it up on YouTube and ask some high-ranked players for feedback, or send it to a coach like OneAmongstMany or iOStux and see if they’ll do a vod review. This is probably the single best way to improve, I believe.
How? Just how?

So HOW?????

HotS has an unranked mode for this very reason.

Want to practice with a hero in a competitive environment but without destroying your team's chances of winning?

HotS has you covered, but good luck with that in OW...