Why do non-one-tricks support one-tricking?

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Genuinely curious here. Not talking about maining a hero - but rather the through-and-through one-tricks that will not switch regardless of situation. Why do you, a competitive player willing to do what the team needs, support one tricking?
Highly Rated
If the guy is at the elo I'm at by just playing one hero, gotta figure he knows what he's doing and just leave him be.
11/25/2017 03:09 AMPosted by Bryfang
If the guy is at the elo I'm at by just playing one hero, gotta figure he knows what he's doing and just leave him be.

But isn't it better to encourage swapping when necessary? Like I get that the person got there because they're good at that one hero- but what if they're getting hard-countered? What if it doesn't fit into the comp? What if someone else locks in their hero choice first?

In that last example, let's say they pick someone else and are bad with them. That wouldn't necessarily have been the case if they weren't one tricking in the first place.
TLDR: if you stop caring about winning and care about having fun comp is great. If everything someone does that doesn't lead to victory tilts you, nothing will ever make this game fun.

You can make all the arguments in the world for why that's not true, but in the end the only miserable players are those who derive self worth from victory, and the people around them who deal with the toxicity it creates.
11/25/2017 03:14 AMPosted by cully0488

But isn't it better to encourage swapping when necessary? Like I get that the person got there because they're good at that one hero- but what if they're getting hard-countered? What if it doesn't fit into the comp? What if someone else locks in their hero choice first?

In that last example, let's say they pick someone else and are bad with them. That wouldn't necessarily have been the case if they weren't one tricking in the first place.
no, because why make someone swap to something they aren’t good with
I don't believe One-Tricks should be Banned for Disruptive Gameplay, there are worse things people can do that should ban them rather than playing a Hero and only that hero

But I don't agree One-Tricks should be rewarded by the SR system favouring them since its comparing their skill compared to everyone else who plays that hero, also doesn't help that there's not much comparability the system needs to do with Off-Meta heroes too thus boosting them higher.

If One-Tricks are able to reach Grandmaster/Top 500 then either they know something others don't with their experience and know how to play through maps and comps they're at a disadvantage to otherwise how else would they reach that high of a rank, or the system is broken and boosts them to a rank they don't belong in because of silly Personal Performance SR Gain.

One-Tricks should be in the Medium to lower ranks if they're not good enough, not banned for doing what they do.

(Or heres an idea, make One-Tricking a bannable offense in Comp but make a Ranked Practice mode where 1. They can One-Trick and 2. It's an environment people actually Try)
11/25/2017 03:17 AMPosted by Purple

no, because why make someone swap to something they aren’t good with

I think you need to read the last part of my post again.

It forces others to play around the one trick helping the one trick to get to a positive winrate. Coz others care about winning a lot more than the OTP.

If everyone boycotted the OTP by not playing around him (lets say NOT going orisa with OTP bastion), I highly doubt majority would hold a positive winrate. The high elo means nothing coz they are exposed to the bonus they get: Performance based SR.

They might know what they are doing but when they get shutdown, why is it acceptable to let them keep on playing that hero?

(im not talking about hero selection screen whining. Talking about giving them a chance and them not performing for an entire 4 min and still refusing to swap).
There's a difference between encouraging swapping and blaming (and reporting) a player.

It's easy to see that your team is getting outplayed by the enemy. It is harder to see why it's not working. Just because you're losing doesn't necessarily imply that the Torb/Sym is not working out.

I've had a game where the person who kept whining about my symmetra was absolutely terrible - getting into very senseless positions and dying by himself. My sym was doing her main role which was to protect the backline and burst down aggressors. I wasn't even getting countered. But I had to endure whines and threats to report me. That isn't cool.

Nowadays I play Sym and Moira about equally now. It's amazing how much of a double standard there is. As Sym, I can secure kill after kill (and more or less carry a round) and still be blamed for an eventual loss. As Moira, I just have to pee at people occasionally for people to worship me.

Why should a teammate with potentially very questionable judgment be allowed to decide whether you ought to switch or deserve to be banned?
11/25/2017 03:21 AMPosted by Eddimame

It forces others to play around the one trick helping the one trick to get to a positive winrate. Coz others care about winning a lot more than the OTP.

If everyone boycotted the OTP by not playing around him (lets say NOT going orisa with OTP bastion), I highly doubt majority would hold a positive winrate. The high elo means nothing coz they are exposed to the bonus they get: Performance based SR.

They might know what they are doing but when they get shutdown, why is it acceptable to let them keep on playing that hero?

(im not talking about hero selection screen whining. Talking about giving them a chance and them not performing for an entire 4 min and still refusing to swap).
you can play with them, not around them

They're not going to swap, so any attempts to persuade them to do so is just gonna be wasted, doubly so if the person is being a jerk about it.

I just had a game with a One Trick Bastion and the team spent most of their energy just yelling at the guy to swap instead of letting him do his job. I watched him consistently kill Pharah and he barely even died out of when we got wiped, but they still gave him grief and blamed him for the loss even though I watched our Junkrat make some insanely stupid plays, and our Mercy just fly into the enemy's backline to rez and get bodied so many times.

11/25/2017 03:21 AMPosted by Eddimame

If a person is One Tricking, I'm pretty sure they've already played in a lot of games where the team didn't build around them already.

11/25/2017 03:26 AMPosted by Togrias
There's a difference between encouraging swapping and blaming (and reporting) a player.

It's easy to see that your team is getting outplayed by the enemy. It is harder to see why it's not working. Just because you're losing doesn't necessarily imply that the Torb/Sym is not working out.

I've had a game where the person who kept whining about my symmetra was absolutely terrible - getting into very senseless positions and dying by himself. My sym was doing her main role which was to protect the backline and burst down aggressors. I wasn't even getting countered. But I had to endure whines and threats to report me. That isn't cool.

Nowadays I play Sym and Moira about equally now. It's amazing how much of a double standard there is. As Sym, I can secure kill after kill (and more or less carry a round) and still be blamed for an eventual loss. As Moira, I just have to pee at people occasionally for people to worship me.

Why should a teammate with potentially very questionable judgment be allowed to decide whether you ought to switch or deserve to be banned?

^^^ This.

I'm not talking about one tricks receiving bans. That's obviously a really contentious point. Like I understand why that could be considered poor teamwork, but if they're trying-they're trying. I understand a lot of toxic people who immediately demand a switch will take issue of them regardless.

What I'm asking is: not whether the bans are justified or not, but rather why do people support one-tricking. It shouldn't be a bannable offense, but it shouldn't be widely accepted either.

There is also a psychological aspect to it. Some players cannot focus on their own game coz they focus on the off meta or OTP. Its a thing that happens. So just from a psychological view, sometimes its better to swap off just so your team gets motivated and create the momentum to win the game.

but you can also choose not to and let your team tilt to a loss. We can argue whos at fault here but thats pointless. A loss is a loss at the end.
11/25/2017 03:08 AMPosted by cully0488
Genuinely curious here. Not talking about maining a hero - but rather the through-and-through one-tricks that will not switch regardless of situation. Why do you, a competitive player willing to do what the team needs, support one tricking?

Because it's just a game, and they probably spent the same amount of money I did for it, so they can play however they want to play, so long as they're trying to win (Because throwing is against the rules, whether you one-trick or not).
First and foremost - because they have the right to play whatever they want, period.

That being said, I'm well aware there's people with disabilities and diminished reflexes through increased age or injury who simply CANNOT play certain heroes, no matter how hard they tried. This limits them to less complex picks like torb, rein, symm, mercy because those are the only heroes they can realistically play.

Do they have just as much right to play comp? Yes. And if five entitled little snowflakes have to suffer for it I'm afraid that's tough. People keep talking about having to "play around" someones pick, and ignore the fact it's just for one match, you won't see that player again for a good while (especially with the current report system). It is just as inflexible for five people to refuse to work around what is a trivial inconvenience at best as it for one person to succumb to the demands of five manchildren screaming into the mic.
11/25/2017 03:34 AMPosted by kosaba11
11/25/2017 03:08 AMPosted by cully0488

Because it's just a game, and they probably spent the same amount of money I did for it, so they can play however they want to play, so long as they're trying to win (Because throwing is against the rules, whether you one-trick or not).

I disagree. Yes it's just a game. But there are two distinct modes: quick play and competitive.

If you want to do whatever you want, play quick play. That's fine. Or arcade. Whatever. But if you're trying to compete to win, you should be able to make switches if needed. It's not always about picking the hero you want to play. It's about adapting and strategizing. One-tricking in comp, if nothing else, is selfish.
First they came for the one tricks, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not a one trick.

Then they came for the off-meta picks, and I did not speak out—
Because I was not an off-meta pick.

Then they came for the slightly less than optimal picks, and I did not speak out—
Because I was playing optimal.

Then they came for me—
and there was no one left to speak for me.
11/25/2017 03:31 AMPosted by cully0488

What I'm asking is: not whether the bans are justified or not, but rather why do people support one-tricking. It shouldn't be a bannable offense, but it shouldn't be widely accepted either.

Here's an opinion from a "one-trick".

Like I said, I'm playing Moira and Sym about equally now. Before that, I played Zen and Sym. But when I pick Sym, I'm "one-tricking". You see the problem here?

And I'm honestly tired of all the stigma by now. Normally, I choose whichever hero that I feel works best (that I can play). Now, I'm pressured to go with the flow. Even when I know a very strong strategy on Voskaya Attack, for example, I don't feel like I can play Sym anymore. I feel pressured to go with the team on whatever mediocre strategy they want. Moira is a healer and can't really organise the team from the backlines. But sometimes it's just not worth the conflict.

That's the consequence of the mindset that's prevalent nowadays. That you should never trust an off-meta pick. You're just causing the whole team to lose a huge advantage.
11/25/2017 03:39 AMPosted by Togrias
11/25/2017 03:31 AMPosted by cully0488

Here's an opinion from a "one-trick".

Like I said, I'm playing Moira and Sym about equally now. Before that, I played Zen and Sym. But when I pick Sym, I'm "one-tricking". You see the problem here?

And I'm honestly tired of all the stigma by now. Normally, I choose whichever hero that I feel works best (that I can play). Now, I'm pressured to go with the flow. Even when I know a very strong strategy on Voskaya Attack, for example, I don't feel like I can play Sym anymore. I feel pressured to go with the team on whatever mediocre strategy they want. Moira is a healer and can't really organise the team from the backlines. But sometimes it's just not worth the conflict.

That's the consequence of the mindset that's prevalent nowadays. That you should never trust an off-meta pick. You're just causing the whole team to lose a huge advantage.

You're calling yourself a one-trick, but it sounds like you're a sym main. And that's fine. One-tricking isn't only for off meta heroes. Yeah, I know "no one complains about a one trick tracer or genji" but they're still one tricks. Still a part of the problem.

Since you're playing Sym, you're probably getting the brunt of the complaints a lot more. That sucks. But you're willing to switch-that's the difference. I'm not asking you to be pressured into playing something you don't want to play. I'm asking to adapt to what's happening if it's not working.

P.S. I despise good attack symettras. They're usually a pain in the !@# to deal with.
Its only a game, who freaking cares what anyone plays or in what play style. as long as you are playing to the objectives of the game at hand and doing your best, i just dont care. I play over-watch to de-stress not freak out that someone is playing Genji on my team again.