FIX MERCY

General Discussion
Why change her and then continue to nerf her and nerf her till she is no longer valuable to any comp team. Her rez’s are so awkward now and make zero sense.

First off, why take away her invincibility when she rez’s? Wasn’t she getting killed off to quickly during her original ult and thats why she was changed to take no damage.

Second, why make her rez time 1.75 seconds? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! So many things can counter and stop that rez and if they do manage to stop you before you get the rez off IT STILL TAKES IT AWAY FROM YOU! ZERO SENSE!

I think Blizzard needs to take a long look at mercy and think about what they want her to become before throwing in all these awful nerfs that don’t make sense. #FixMercy
Mercy is still 100% viable.
I agree with the sentiment of your post. However, I think some of your specific arguments are off so I'm gonna point it out before other people tear you apart for it.

Mercy isn't technically the first person to have her ult reworked - Symmetra also had a rework done to hers when she got the shield generator. BUT to be fair, that was a "softer" rework since it only added an extra option to her existing ult - her teleporter itself didn't change, it just became a less central part of her kit.

All the problems that have come with resurrect stem from the fact that the devs completely threw it off balance by making it her regular ability. Since she could use it every thirty seconds, she ended up resurrecting way more than she would during a normal game, and one or two resurrects per team fight ended up being massively overpowered. Instead of saying "huh this is messed up, maybe we should have kept this as her ult", the devs responded by repeatedly nerfing the ability itself.

That said, the problem now is that it seems the only way to make Mercy actually balanced to the rest of the cast is to make her resurrect completely anti-fun from her end. And that's not good. I believe that reverting resurrect to her ultimate ability is by far Blizzard's best option. Bring back huge rez, add a nerf or two to it if it was really a big problem, and Mercy is both fun and balanced again.

Unfortunately, Blizzard seems too proud to hear much feedback in that direction, so the odds of that happening are depressingly low.
11/26/2017 03:46 PMPosted by RagingAnubis
Second, why make her rez time 1.75 seconds? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! So many things can counter and stop that rez

A successful rez is such a huge reward it needs to have some risk. You are reducing the respawn of a teammate, fully healing them, and putting them back right where they need to be. Being able to fly to a dead teammate and instantly pick them up is too easy. Literally any other shooter that has a revive mechanic takes a few seconds to pick them back up. Hell 1.75 is nothing compared to most shooters with a revive mechanic. I know that Overwatch isn't a typical shooter and doesn't follow some of the tropes of normal shooters, but the ones it has is because those are good mechanics. You talk about rez having counters like its a bad thing.

if they do manage to stop you before you get the rez off IT STILL TAKES IT AWAY FROM YOU! ZERO SENSE!

I'll give you that. It shouldn't go on cooldown if you die while rezzing. There's also the problem that if they respawn right before a successful rez, it still puts it on cooldown.
https://www.overbuff.com/heroes
mercy is fine and resurrect is fine if not overpowered
now you actually need some level of skill to play her
Though I agree, I feel I should remind you that Symmetra was also reworked. Though I don't think Symmetra was nerfed the way Mercy was.
11/26/2017 03:53 PMPosted by Billy
Mercy is still 100% viable.

Agreed.

Mercy main since release, I can get just as many res off now as I could pre nerf.

Her patch is actually perfect because all the trashy Mercy players who thought they were playing well are now realizing they weren't and are mad because she's not an easy hero anymore.

Mercy has one of the highest skill ceilings in the game, she never was a low skill hero and the people who were saying she was were either bad mercys or just never played her and assumed she was easy because you don't shoot people in the face.
People are too bad to kill more than one person in 30 seconds. So instead they complained and whined until Mercy was made entirely useless and unfun to play. Two months straight of nerfs and this monstrosity is what results. Good job everybody!

First off, why take away her invincibility when she rez’s? Wasn’t she getting killed off to quickly during her original ult and thats why she was changed to take no damage.

Becuase Rez is no longer an Ultimate, is a regular skill on CD, and like any regular skill it does not grant invulnerability from dmg or CC (unless is a defensive skill like wraith form or Fortify)

Second, why make her rez time 1.75 seconds? THAT MAKES NO SENSE! So many things can counter and stop that rez and if they do manage to stop you before you get the rez off IT STILL TAKES IT AWAY FROM YOU! ZERO SENSE!

So a regular ability that's no longer an ult is wrong to have a cast time? like a lot of abilities in this game (reaper Teleport, Sombra's Hacking,Rein Charge).
Also some guy stun you/killed you and you didn't get the rez,welcome to the real wrong, that happened to everyone except Mecry, and again, Rez is no longer an ult so if you are stunned while casting then you should lose it, that's normal behaviour that applies to all characters in this game, hell even some ults are cancelled by CC (Pharah, Mcree, Hog, Reaper)

Mercy barely got nerfed, she's still in every game.
If she was actually trash, people wouldn't pick her in comp as much as they do.
Why change her and then continue to nerf her and nerf her till she is no longer valuable to any comp team. Her rez’s are so awkward now and make zero sense.
I'm a Mercy main and find her nerf to be justified.

She is still valuable to a team comp as she still provides the most consistent healing and has good mobility to back it up. You could remove res entirely and Mercy would still get picked for her utility as a primary healer.

Res is a powerful ability and it should hobble you to an extent to use it. I was staunchly against this nerf on the PTR but now that I've given it a bit of time to sink in I do feel it's not a bad thing at all. Mercy is quite well balanced at this point.
It's funny how the response of the community is different in other threads and the Mercy echo-chamber-thread fixed.
I guess the common feeling right now is that she is in a good spot.
I think the changes are fine except slowing her down while she does it. She already needs to be up the !@# of the person she's rezzing for two seconds, which is a lot of time in a game like this, no need to slow her down while she does it.
11/26/2017 06:10 PMPosted by Estranhow
It's funny how the response of the community is different in other threads and the Mercy echo-chamber-thread fixed.
I guess the common feeling right now is that she is in a good spot.

No. It does seem like there are a number of people out there who think Mercy is in a good spot, including a disgusting number of DPS mains pretending to be Mercy mains in order to seem more credible on the subject. Good thing we can click on their profiles and see what they really play...

Mercy is not in a good spot right now. Balance-wise, her numbers look okay right now... but gameplay-wise, Mercy's new Resurrect ability feels awful to use. There are a large number of people like myself who have successfully adapted to her new playstyle, but just plain don't like it. Mercy feels more helpless and team-dependent than she ever has before. She can't do anything against enemy ultimates like Mercy used to and Zen and Lucio still can. She has sustain, but she has no team fight impact unless she's the only person with an ultimate.

With her old Resurrect ultimate, Mercy's ultimate actually felt like an ultimate. She could actually participate in ult-trading team fights. With Valkyrie and the extreme nerfs to Resurrect, Mercy gets to roleplay as a kite for 20 seconds while her team dies to enemy ultimates in front of her and there's absolutely nothing the Mercy player can do about it. Meanwhile, Zen and Lucio can press Q and Ana can counter with sleep dart. Yes, it takes timing and/or aim to pull these things off... but that only serves to prove my point: Mercy's rework and subsequent nerfs have lowered her skill cap relative to other heroes.

I know that I am not alone in saying that Mercy is not fine. She should be reverted to pre-Valkyrie state and any further changes should be made from there. The problem is that most people who agree have lost hope that Blizzard will even consider reverting her.
200 Hour GM mercy main here...She's in a good spot right now. She's very viable/powerful, but not OP and meta-defining like she was pre-nerfs. She's also way more fun and powerful than Old Mercy was (when her rez was an ult).

While I do agree that the cast time/movement speed nerf with Rez seems like a band aid-fix rather than a well thought out one, I'm sure Blizzard will continue to make minor adjustments until she is in a good spot.

Overall, since her nerf went live, the game is in a much healthier state. I actually see games with Ana (shocking, right?) and with the release of Moira the meta is much more diverse than what it has been for the last two months.

I understand that it might be not as fun as before, but it was a necessary nerf for the health of the game.
11/26/2017 05:18 PMPosted by MofoMan2000
People are too bad to kill more than one person in 30 seconds. So instead they complained and whined until Mercy was made entirely useless and unfun to play. Two months straight of nerfs and this monstrosity is what results. Good job everybody!

Speaking of whining.

Yes, we get it, you miss the crutch