I genuinely don't care about the overwatch league

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 6 Next
12/04/2017 07:06 PMPosted by Josteen
The OWL is the peak of competitive overwatch play, of course the competitige subreddit will talk about it like it's the second coming and the beginning of human space colonization combined.

Idk I thought it was hard to find between the unabashed hatred slung at one tricks and them being glad it was resulting in bans and encouraging ppl to false report them and attacking anyone and being mean to most that would dare disagree with them on their subreddit. Tbh a lot of the toxic mentalities in game come from the competitive circles I wouldn't be sad to see them nuked from OW for that reason in itself.
at least they're not making an event exclusive to people who paid for a "battle pass" just so they can collect a prize pool...
12/04/2017 07:08 PMPosted by Lucky
12/04/2017 07:05 PMPosted by PunkyB
I stopped watching blizzard ESports with Warcraft arena...

It was sad to see these people cheering and saying someone had skill because they could stand near a corner and go in and out of los while casting abilities..

Much like Overwatch game tips saying increase your skill by jumping around and moving around like an idiot to be better than the person trying to aim to hit you...

And then flaming heros that can kill you no matter how idiotic your random movements are....

Lol, GG

Ya and if you say the game should have momentum like every other FPS, so ADAD spamming doesn't look so stupid and make hitting people doing it almost pure chance expect half the forum to downvote you. What "skill" which a 3 year old could do is there in mashing ADAD when someone is shooting at you?

Don't forget spamming control to mess up headshots. Then complaining about Sym who doesn't give a F about your head. Lol
I don't mind OWL itself, but the current state of the game is just not good enough for such tournament.

I am not talking about balance itself. This game is just not diverse enough.

In games like LoL or Dota II, you do not only have a huge hero pool, but also you can customize your character by buying different types of equipment. This opens up the room for a lot more combinations than what Overwatch is offering.

OW feels dull because the meta shifts based on balance patches, meaning there are simply not enough choices to be made in this game.

Also, OW is still running by a relatively small team. Diverting most of their effort in OWL means they will have little time to work on the development of this game. They could've polished this game more, grow bigger, then go into tournament, instead of doing the opposite.
12/04/2017 07:11 PMPosted by PunkyB
Don't forget spamming control to mess up headshots. Then complaining about Sym who doesn't give a F about your head. Lol

Well they at least capped the rate for crouch spam, but doing something similar for ADAD spamming? Blasphemy, smite the unbeliever with downvotes!
Yeah, ADAD spamming, jump spamming and crouch spamming is really stupid,at least the pros never did crouch spamming on the pro games tho.
12/04/2017 06:39 PMPosted by W1NGZofM3RCY
Or they're just trying to focus down the toxicity levels in the game before they get TOO much more out of hand. You know, like Papa Jeff said in his "Play nice, play fair" video released in September. Anyways, in unrelated complaints, could console see a patch on widow so we can quick scope too, not just PC gamers? Thanks.
yeah that’s why they’ve said nothing about the off meta ban epidemic right
12/04/2017 07:10 PMPosted by Ene
at least they're not making an event exclusive to people who paid for a "battle pass" just so they can collect a prize pool...

Gaben approves.
12/04/2017 07:02 PMPosted by skyranger14

I just did... and wow, so much for the competitive OW subreddit. I remember it being about getting better but now its all OWL, all the time.

The OWL is the peak of competitive overwatch play, of course the competitige subreddit will talk about it like it's the second coming and the beginning of human space colonization combined.

It's the validation for their existence!
12/04/2017 07:10 PMPosted by Lucky

Idk I thought it was hard to find between the unabashed hatred slung at one tricks and them being glad it was resulting in bans and encouraging ppl to false report them and attacking anyone and being mean to most that would dare disagree with them on their subreddit. Tbh a lot of the toxic mentalities in game come from the competitive circles I wouldn't be sad to see them nuked from OW for that reason in itself.

But you see, competitive players tend to be more "passionate" with the game and play the game much longer, much longer than casual gamers. Casual gamer will leave the game as soon as they got bored or find a new game to play with their friends.

Competitive gamer will strive for improving their skill on the game that they like and improving their game play is all that matters for them. Not lore, not game content or all that jazz, the rest is just bonus for their competitive environment.
12/04/2017 06:35 PMPosted by AMERICAN
Does anyone even care about OWL?

I have not watched a minute of competitive Overwatch and I never will so long as the game remains neglected. Furthermore, I stopped watching streamers because many of them are toxic or just obnoxious. I just want to play the game and have fun.

Here's the problem with that. With the focus on the pro scene, the meta inevitably trickles down to the mid ELOs (gold-diamond). It would have happened no matter what, but some players treat pro-play as the end-all on how to play the game - they idolize pro players to the point of fanaticism. This leads to toxicity:

Flaming people for playing off-meta.

Making erroneous claims about the state of the game because of a small sample size (tournament play). (Ex: People claiming that anything below A-tier is "garbage", or that something isn't a problem because pros don't have that problem [Ex: Pharah or Symmetra being "noob stompers" when they're rarely seen at high ranks])

Neglect of certain heroes/aspects of the game.

That final point is what kills it for me. I would have no problem if we could mix and match heroes, actually play defense heroes, heroes like Doomfist weren't bugged to hell, if balance changes didn't take months upon months, if features (match history, LFG/clans/etc.) were actually in the game instead of soon™. Instead, we get all this hype for "awesome, flashy plays" while the actual game is left to rot. I've been there before. I don't buy into the "esports first" mantra anymore.

I played Starcraft 2 regularly from 2013 until mid 2016. It got me into esports. I rose to become a fairly high level player. However, through attrition, design change after design change was made that alienated the bottom 2/3 of the playerbase. Git gud, you say? Okay. People left for other games. Others fought to try and make the game worthwhile again. The core of the game rotted away, the meta stagnated and the would-be viewers of tournaments were gone.

I still enjoy Overwatch. I get a laugh out of it every time I play. However, if Blizzard does not adequately address the laundry list of issues with the core of the game, it will not survive and live a long, productive life. It's just going to dwindle away as the players grow frustrated and move on. All it's going to take is 1 serious competitor (RIP Paladins) in the right place at a good time and people will move on. I hope Blizzard can come back to basis and continue to make the core of Overwatch enjoyable.

Fix the bugs.

Make every hero enjoyable to play as and play against.

Add features that add depth to the game.

Focus on the middle-out, not the top-down.

I'm fighting for the game that has given me 600 wonderful hours of gameplay. I hope there will be 600 more.
12/04/2017 07:24 PMPosted by Josteen
But you see, competitive players tend to be more "passionate" with the game and play the game much longer, much longer than casual gamers. Casual gamer will leave the game as soon as they got bored or find a new game to play with their friends.

Competitive gamer will strive for improving their skill on the game that they like and improving their game play is all that matters for them. Not lore, not game content or all that jazz, the rest is just bonus for their competitive environment.

It's frustration, anger, a refusal to look at oneself, trying to control things one can't control namely other people, negative, and destructive. It might stem from taking the game seriously and wanting to win, but that isn't passion in any positive sense of the word. So is it "a strong feeling", yah. But their feelings are strong NEGATIVE emotions like anger. Reminds me of a guy beating his wife justifying it with saying "I only did it because I care about you so much". It's not right.

Toxicity and wishing harm and being abusive in chat isn't anything I'd condone no matter how strong their feelings are, it's being toxic. People striving to be better at the cost of civility and other people's wellbeing aren't good people.

If instead they used their passion to spread their love of the game, to lift each other up, and create an environment that encouraged growth, inclusion, helping each other get better, and pushing each other to new heights, ok I'd call it passion, in a good way. But it's just a bunch of angry teens triggered at every loss and every bad play and looking to rage at people all too often, and Blizzard is lifting some of them up on a pedestal and allowing them to compete and people that follow them see it and monkey see monkey do. It's not in anyway handled well and I don't expect a bunch of raging kids to become good people when handed wealth, fame and power quite the opposite.
12/04/2017 06:56 PMPosted by Quest
Downvoted because you're a liar.

If you couldn't care less than you wouldn't write a 3 paragraph post about it. Clearly you are able to care less, and if that's how you feel I suggest you do.

As for me I am looking forward to OWL :)

He cared about it because OWL drained the manpower that could've used to improve this game even more, including bug fixing, balancing, more new heroes, new modes, new maps, etc.
But it's a monetisation opportunity!

Bug fixes don't pay the bills.
There are a lot of things that I genuinly don't like either but I'm not going to stand in the way of other people's enjoyment of those things.
While I am not waiting that much for the OWL to start (especially without the rogue in it) now that it is out I hope it will work. Because the game wont go better if all that money goes wasted. But a successfull launch could push them to allow more funds to this game.
A rising tide lifts all boats. If OWL does well that's...

• More recognition for the game
  • A larger player pool and community to support the game
  • Better strategies getting worked out to use in game
  • An outlet and career path for obsessive players that otherwise might've become gaming addicts
  • Further validation of eSports in the non-gaming world still scoffing at the concept
  • A very strong incentive for Blizzard to stay on top of bug fixes and content releases
  • And yes more money for a company that IMO deserves it for bringing this awesome game to market.

We're past the development phase that arguably pulled resources away from non-OWL issues, now we get to reap the benefits of that work. Nothing to be upset about as far as I can see.
So what will you do when it's successful?
I do. I like ryujehong and miro so I'm low key supporting seoul dynasty.
Do not care either way!
So your post leave me totally indifferent!
But hey, good for ya!